Lt. Commander
# 11
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
You do all realize that a company's stock price has very little to do with it's value, right?

A company's *valuation* is determined by stock price times the number of outstanding shares. Absent the second part of that formula, stock price by itself is pretty much meaningless.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
You do all realize that a company's stock price has very little to do with it's value, right?

A company's *valuation* is determined by stock price times the number of outstanding shares. Absent the second part of that formula, stock price by itself is pretty much meaningless.
Exactly.

If asked you would you rather have a 50% stake in a company that trades at ~ $28 a share, or a 50% stake in a company that trades at ~ $33 a share, by the OP logic he'd choose the one at $33 a share.

Congraultations...you just turned down 50% of Microsoft in favor of 50% of Adobe Systems. Both software companies....but I think you can probably guess which one is worth more...a LOT more.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey, at least they did not have to take government bail out money to make the game. That means they are better off than our auto industry and financial industry as both industries needed billions of dollars to save businesses from going bankrupt. Cryptic must be doing something right.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
All this thread needs is a link to the BBB to capitalize on what is another irrelevant and pointless troll attempt.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I was interested to see how investors were responding to Star Trek Online. I did a little search for Cryptic Studio's current stock price. Surprise! Cryptic stock is not to be found anywhere. Presumably because it was bought out by Atari on December 9, 2008.

Whats more interesting is that earlier that year Atari was delisted from NASDAQ. Now Atari's current stock price is no where to be found either.

So let me get this right...Cryptic was doing so bad that they got bought out by another failing company. Wow. And people actually believe that things are going to improve with this game? If anything things are going to get worse. Mark my words, in 12 months max Cryptic Studios will no longer exist in its current form, and STO will be either sold off or totally shut down.
Actually, that could simply mean they went Private (most of there shares are held internally and/or by private owners that haven't declared an intention to sell).

It has little to do with Value of the company and with current market trends it could be considered a positive since it would imply more stable and less affected (not immune) to market conditions. Its also something that wouldn't be considered a bad move to do with current market conditions.

Being delisted just means the stocks aren't for sale Publicly, sales would have to be arranged directly with share holders.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
ROFLMAO

Your a dog with a bone bro....I swear to God, when you hate , you do a good job
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Atari's stock closed at $1.63 today ... [SOURCE]

A company's stock price has nothing to do really with its value or how successful it is .... I worked for a company that was a Fortune 500 company, and their stock hovered right around $6.50 a share (as low as $3.50 and as high as $25). Its all about how many shares they have out and what their debt is.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepath View Post
Atari's stock closed at $1.63 today ... [SOURCE]
I think you may be wrong http://corporate.atari.com//infogram...7/04/atari.php
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
An entertainment company doing poorly in the biggest recession in the past seventy years...????

The devil you say!

PS: There is a point at which you have maybe taken a game too seriously....

On the plus side.... Maybe the government can bail / buy them out and then we can fund the first expansion with our tax money....
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post
An entertainment company doing poorly in the biggest recession in the past seventy years...????

The devil you say!

PS: There is a point at which you have maybe taken a game too seriously....

On the plus side.... Maybe the government can bail / buy them out and then we can fund the first expansion with our tax money....
I'm already writing my congressman! SAVE STO!