Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Cryptic is owned by Atari which is owner by Infrogames, which renamed itself to Atari SA. It is a French company listed as ATA on the Euronext exchange. The price has gone from 2 euro to 8 to 4 in the last year. It actually tracks closely to STO. It. jumped to 8 during beta (investors excited that it will ship on time), then dropped to four recently (bad publicity around launch). And by bad publicity, I mean a lack of good publicity. In video games, your either a star or a loser. Releasing at the same time as Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 may not have been the best decision.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
In my opinion, this is a gold mine that will feed profits for a long time. There are relatively few competitors, and the Star Trek name really IS that powerful.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I stand corrected on their stock price.....its a whopping $4 per share. So I admit. Atari is nothing more than a extremely low value company.
Is there no end to your FAIL? Every time you state a fact, it has nothing to do with your next statement.

The sky is blue today so fish will be biting.
Concrete is grey, so parrots will live longer.

A stock is valued at 4$ a share, so it's a low value company.
Low vrs what? How much money you have in your wallet? In your bank?
There total assets and liabilities are? outstanding shares are?

Admit you will say anything and continue posting nonstop hoping to bury everyone in a stream of stupid. No one will take the time to refute ALL of your nonsense, so, like US politics, what stands unchallenged eventually may be considered truth : even if that truth is that your kitten "mittens" hates Cryptic, so they HAVE to fail.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I was interested to see how investors were responding to Star Trek Online. I did a little search for Cryptic Studio's current stock price. Surprise! Cryptic stock is not to be found anywhere. Presumably because it was bought out by Atari on December 9, 2008.



Whats more interesting is that earlier that year Atari was delisted from NASDAQ. Now Atari's current stock price is no where to be found either.



So let me get this right...Cryptic was doing so bad that they got bought out by another failing company. Wow. And people actually believe that things are going to improve with this game? If anything things are going to get worse. Mark my words, in 12 months max Cryptic Studios will no longer exist in its current form, and STO will be either sold off or totally shut down.
I didn't think you would post so soon after the last ignorant thread he posted.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
You do all realize that a company's stock price has very little to do with it's value, right?

A company's *valuation* is determined by stock price times the number of outstanding shares. Absent the second part of that formula, stock price by itself is pretty much meaningless.
I'm sure glad somebody said this!

Let's put it this way:
Atari stock price is around $4 per share.
General Motors stock price is around $0.82 per share.

I want to buy one of those two companies. Which one will I spend more to buy? If you guessed Atari, you're wrong.... because there are a whole heck of a lot more GM shares floating around that there are Atari shares.

So the point made by ZenBrillig is absolutely correct. If the value of a company is x, the stock price per share is y, and the number of shares is z, that gives you x = yz. We know y is 4, so now we have x = 4z. Solve for x. You can't unless you know the value of z.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I was interested to see how investors were responding to Star Trek Online. I did a little search for Cryptic Studio's current stock price. Surprise! Cryptic stock is not to be found anywhere. Presumably because it was bought out by Atari on December 9, 2008.



Whats more interesting is that earlier that year Atari was delisted from NASDAQ. Now Atari's current stock price is no where to be found either.



So let me get this right...Cryptic was doing so bad that they got bought out by another failing company. Wow. And people actually believe that things are going to improve with this game? If anything things are going to get worse. Mark my words, in 12 months max Cryptic Studios will no longer exist in its current form, and STO will be either sold off or totally shut down.

This type of company its ussualy too small to be in the public stockmarket. They're ussualy private and not owned by shareholders, even huge companies are private and not owned by shareholders, or only by their employees.

Since they got bought out by atari, the latter (that been atari if you don't know that word) is the one who would count as Cryptic in the stock market. Since Atari is not a private company but rather owned by its shareholders, it's the one who you could see shareholder fluctuation in the companies value of investment since that's what you wanted to know.

Furthermore i would had invested in Atari before this game came out, too many star trek fans who havent had a good game in a LONG time, and their first MMO ever. smells like a 20% proffit.

Now.... it's a tad late. And yes just because there are whinning QQ kids here doesn't mean there aren't any professionals that know how to talk the talk.... Anyone with a decent job should know about investing... your 401k
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I stand corrected on their stock price.....its a whopping $4 per share. So I admit. Atari is nothing more than a extremely low value company.
Infogrames bought what was left of Atari, bought Cryptic, put in a new CEO at Crypic then changed their name to Atari. If I remember correctly, a similarish thing happened to the Activision name. Part of what you buy when you buy a company is name recognition. What people might think of when they hear Atari or Cryptic is a resource that Infogrames bought and is/will be using.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artika1 View Post
NO dont back to WOW. There servers are having a "bit" of trouble hehe. 20 hour plus downtimes in the past day.
Thats because Blizzard is getting rid of all the exploits with the current Event....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica-
Thats because Blizzard is getting rid of all the exploits with the current Event....
Speaking of Blizzard, they are owned/partnered with Activision who used to make games for Atari. Activision also sued Viacom for letting Paramount destroy the Star Trek franchise. Activision's stock price was around $10 today. source:http://investor.activision.com/stockquote.cfm
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamelas
I was interested to see how investors were responding to Star Trek Online. I did a little search for Cryptic Studio's current stock price. Surprise! Cryptic stock is not to be found anywhere. Presumably because it was bought out by Atari on December 9, 2008.



Whats more interesting is that earlier that year Atari was delisted from NASDAQ. Now Atari's current stock price is no where to be found either.



So let me get this right...Cryptic was doing so bad that they got bought out by another failing company. Wow. And people actually believe that things are going to improve with this game? If anything things are going to get worse. Mark my words, in 12 months max Cryptic Studios will no longer exist in its current form, and STO will be either sold off or totally shut down.
Lets hope when Atari falls apart Activision buys all their properties and gives STO the TLC it deserves
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.