Lt. Commander
I apologize for the length of this rant, but you know what I mean. No matter what the text of the mission says, it's always the same thing. Warp into the sector and find 4-5 spawns consisting of 1 regular ship or 3 frigates each. These ships aren't doing anything except literally going about in circles. You must destroy them all, no strategy or sneaking around allowed, then beam to the planet. There are several spawns of 4-7 mobs just standing around, scratching their behinds. Aggro one, and they all come at you. You have to kill them all, either because your BOFF ordered you to, or because they're near the glowies.

Beam back to the ship because it's under attack! Only, all the game did was just spawn a few more of the same old static NPC ship spawns, circling around, doing nothing. If you're lucky, one's a boss ship. You must kill them all because your BOFF ordered you to. I know, you outrank him, but we know who's really in charge of the ship. Contact Starfleet, and collect your reward. Unless there's a few more planet/ship/planet cycles first.

Now think of other non-Cryptic MMOs, or non-MMO sci-fi games. Does it have to be like this? Here are some suggestions.

1. Defend The Objective. Mobs pour into the room, trying to destroy a glowie or NPC ship. If they succeed, the mission fails. (currently, it seems that they are literally unable to destroy mission-objective NPC ships)
2. Ground mobs come in one at a time instead of the 4-7 routine. But they come in pretty fast, one after another. If your DPS isn't up to par, you'll soon be overwhelmed.
3. The ground mobs are much stronger than you and are actively searching for you. If they see you, they will call in reinforcements. Your character must use stealth and tactics to slip by and plant the bomb.
4. Calling in reinforcements! Now there's an idea!
5. You are in command of a fleet. Besides piloting your own ship, you must command the other ships properly.
6. You beam down because there's been a murder in the colony. There is no shooting, but you must collect clues before making an accusation among several suspects. Accuse the wrong one and the mission fails. Accuse the right one and the mission succeeds... ok maybe you get to have one firefight first.
7. A space monster is threatening the colony. You could attack it. Or, you could use the provided clues to realize that what it really wants is 10 Provisions. Use your brains instead of brawn, follow the Prime Directive, and get a much bigger reward.

I just want to see some creativity to break up the monotony! [/rant]
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Amen to that. And kudos for providing some examples on what "different missions" might look like - most people just leave it at the "too boring, be more creative."

I wanted to echo your statement about the ship mixes - that's something that I've been finding particularly aggravating lately. It's what you said: if you're a single player, it's 3 small ships or one big ship. I usually play in a duo, and then it's two medium/big ships or 4-5 small ships. I'd recommend the following changes:

* Create a larger variety of unit types among ships of the same race/hull size. Create the variations based on tactical dispositions, weapon loadouts, AI sophistication, ability preference, etc. Realistically, you could even have the ship descriptor dynamically generated as if it were a random magical weapon in Diablo.

* Create more variety in the level of the ships attacking the player. Use a normal distribution centered on the player/mission where the standard deviation is 1 level.

* Make the enemies hunt us, like the OP said. They fly aimlessly, which really ruins the immersion factor.

* Make the badguys talk smack. A (very) little would go a (very) long way here. Heck, you could post a sticky on a forum asking for race-specific commentary, then just cut and paste into your string table.

Corefault
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
You know, I can totally tolerate rants when someone has the decency to give suggestions for a fix to the "issue". Thank you OP for not being a total Troll and actually thinking before you post!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corefault View Post
I wanted to echo your statement about the ship mixes - that's something that I've been finding particularly aggravating lately. It's what you said: if you're a single player, it's 3 small ships or one big ship. I usually play in a duo, and then it's two medium/big ships or 4-5 small ships. I'd recommend the following changes:

* Create a larger variety of unit types among ships of the same race/hull size. Create the variations based on tactical dispositions, weapon loadouts, AI sophistication, ability preference, etc. Realistically, you could even have the ship descriptor dynamically generated as if it were a random magical weapon in Diablo.

* Create more variety in the level of the ships attacking the player. Use a normal distribution centered on the player/mission where the standard deviation is 1 level.
That could work. No reason why every last one of ship type XYZ has to have the exact same gear.

And changing levels would be interesting. Maybe have some weak spawns and one big bad spawn of multiple battleships. If the little ships flee to their big brothers, you are in for a world of hurt. Lots of ideas to be had on these forums, if only Cryptic would listen!

And ty both