Lt. Commander
# 41
02-11-2010, 03:43 AM
This doesn't upset me as much as the fact that the premiere feature of the Galaxy class is not even approached in this game. Isn't it supposed to be able to separate from the saucer so that you don't have a horrific turning rate in battle?
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-11-2010, 03:47 AM
you think that looks bad try adding the envoy neck the galaxy or celestial saucers. Looks BAD!
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
This doesn't upset me as much as the fact that the premiere feature of the Galaxy class is not even approached in this game. Isn't it supposed to be able to separate from the saucer so that you don't have a horrific turning rate in battle?
It can, but its also worth noting that the Galaxy's used in combat During the Dominion War never once seperated, and were always visibly engaged in battle with saucer still attached.

My guess is that its a feature that was kept to emergency evacuation situations and was not used prior to battle. (after the enterprise that is)
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
um no...its space what resistance would the saucer provide? the saucer comes off so that civilians and families can go one direction and the battle section goes another to a fight.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
It can, but its also worth noting that the Galaxy's used in combat During the Dominion War never once seperated, and were always visibly engaged in battle with saucer still attached.

My guess is that its a feature that was kept to emergency evacuation situations and was not used prior to battle.
That seems silly to me, why would you run the risk of unnecessarily killing everyone in the saucer section when you were fully aware of impending battle?
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elimora
um no...its space what resistance would the saucer provide? the saucer comes off so that civilians and families can go one direction and the battle section goes another to a fight.
It's not about resistance it's about mass and the center of mass.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-11-2010, 03:53 AM
speaking of which, anyone else noticed both the galaxy and sovereign have a borked center of gravity? the bloody things leans like a sail ship when turning. :p
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-11-2010, 04:07 AM
This is how a Galaxy class should look, and made by amateurs for a nearly decade old game:

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com...xy_Class;89383 - note saucer sep included!

I cant believe how shockingly bad some of the models are. And ugly... seriously ugly. One reminds me of the Excelsior prototypes or the phase 2 v-wing Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Even Mad Doc software had the sense to hire one of the legends of BC modding to make some of their ships, Rick Knox.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
That seems silly to me, why would you run the risk of unnecessarily killing everyone in the saucer section when you were fully aware of impending battle?

There's a considerable difference between the saucer seperation events in TNG and the battles of the Dominion War.

During TNG, most Starfleet vessels carried their "normal" crew and passenger load, including numerous civilians and the families of the crew. Thus, whenever the Enterprise entered a dangerous situation, it was a logical option to seperate the ship - to protect the "uninvolved" people on board, while the crew would handle the crisis at hand.
The important part is: the seperation was used because their was a immediate threat which dind't allow the ship enough spare time to simply evacuate the civilians to the nearest starbase.

During the Dominion War however, I seriously doubt that any vessel on the front lines still had too many civilians on board - it would simply not have been safe for them.
So, with "only" the normal crew aboard, the Galaxys had no real reason to seperate.
An example for "evacuating non-essential personel and civilians" prior to a major engagement with some time to spare is demonstrated in the old interactive PC-"Game" "Star Trek: Borg" which begins with a Galaxy-Class vessel being called in to fight off a new Borg attack. Before heading to the rally point, the ship drops off all non-essential crew and civilians at a close-by starbase... much to the disappointment of the player's character (but that is a different story :-) ).

On a sidenote, I think the seperation was most prominent in TNG as a "cool" special effect for the series - I doubt they fully thought that part out, especially seeing how rarely this function was used during the other series.
And from a game developers point of view, a seperation like a Galaxy or even the Prometheus is basically capable of is probably difficult to code AND can bring up problems on its own, even if it is well integrated (for instance, "what happens when, while the ship is seperated, one part is destroyed?" for itself complicates the issue a lot).