Lt. Commander
# 81
02-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd sooner they change things like, oh, I don't know, maybe keeping the bloody server up on a Saturday first!
Lt. Commander
# 82
02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I've taken the change in window thickness to go along with the change in interior spaces. For example, the Constitution refit is classically shown with two rows of lights along the sides of the saucer section. Now it only displays one. This correlates to the fact that ship interiors are apparently at least twice as high from deckplate to overhead now, so the Constitution refit saucer "brims" are now only one (really large) deck high instead of two (standard size) decks high.

I would expect that starfleet ships now have approximately half to a third fewer decks now. In addition, shuttlebays philosophy has apparently been changed. Where before, large ships would have a shuttlebay featuring several small shuttles, this has gone out of fashion in favor of designing bays that hold one large runabout instead. In the event that the ship would actually employ the use of actual shuttlecraft, personnel transporter pads have been greatly expanded to fit a Type-8 shuttle on the pad, where it is beamed out the ship for flight.

Also, the fact that we see so many ships with window lights on nearly horizontal surfaces apparently means that starfleet has adopted a design plan that gives interior spaces skylights instead of standard windows on the sides
I nearly laughed my head off, because I was thinking nearly the same thing. But now it all makes sense: if you have to get a shuttle to the transporter pad, then the two story tall, 50 foot wide doors suddenly make perfect sense.

Oh, and don't forget every single room onboard is now a cargo bay that apparently store some sort of radioactive isotopes what make the containers glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellann View Post
wow you all that think this is a fix now issue please get a life or better yet dont play the game, that way i dont have to listen to you cry.

I wish my poo looked like the Christmas poo, and even talked, sang, and danced BUT IT DOES NOT thats just the way life goes, In my opinion, because everyone is entitled to theirs, it looks fine. DONT FIX IT CRYPTIC

I am doing this cause i hate when people nit pic. There are far more important issues within the game it self that need to be fixed before your crying can be dried up with a satin napkin. Get a life you babies.

P.S. If i was the dude that made the decision to fix this i would maybe loose the memo in the trash can, maybe light it on fire as well

Thanks and may the force be with you..... NOOBS
There are issues with the gameplay, and there are also issues with the graphics. While it is not an important issue for YOU, it doesn't mean it's an important issue to someone ELSE who also paid for the game, and it's not fair to attack them because you don't agree. Besides, it's not like there's a single team of uber coders/artists/writers/web designers/etc all rolled into one so addressing graphics and programming at the same time shouldn't be a problem.

At any rate, it's not unreasonable to ask that an issue you, as a paying customer, have with a product you pay for to be addressed, but it is unreasonable to attack someone else for expressing an opinion on a product different than your own.
Lt. Commander
# 83
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Models, textures and anything else "art" related are handled by the Art Department.

The majority of bugs, gameplay, and generic aspects are handled by the Coding Department.

Quests/Episodes, stories and dialogue are handled by the Story Department.

These are three entirely seperate groups of developers. So doing any additional work on the game's art and starship models in no way changes Cryptic's ability to continue working on issues like gameplay and fixing all of the broken aspects within the game - so the argument of "I would they rather do xxx instead" is entirely moot.

It annoys me to no end when players give such an argument without understanding how game company, especialy an MMO game company, handles the grouping and resourcing of developers. Yes developers will jump between different departments, and yes at times you will have a dev working on things from two different departments at the same time, but by and large they are entirely seperate entities.

As for the issues with the original post? I agree completly that it needs to be fixed. In regards to the galaxy class's model as a whole? It is easily the worst ship model in-game and likewise easily the worst Galaxy class model I have seen in ANY star trek game. Even the Birth of the Federation galaxy class looks better. They have the got the saucer section entirely wrong - two phaser array bands? Why not simply mount the different phaser slots onto the same band since the galaxy's phaser array can fire multiple beams from that single band in the first place (as seen throughout TNG - especialy Best of Worlds). Even the hull plating on the entire ship is wrong, as are the colour options.

Likewise the galaxy is missing quite a lot of its Starfleet decals, which pretty much all of the starfleet ships appear to be missing. These are red strikes with the starfleet logo at its peak.

Biggest problem with the starship models, however, is the overal size. ALL of the space models really need to have their size at least doubled. They could really do with a higher poly count as well - yes the point of this game is to allow it to run on lower end models, but frankly the game engine should either be capable of reducing the poly count of an object or there should be a low and high poly mesh for every game object - either way, with a larger overal size it will allow for a greater level of detail.

But yes as others have said, just about every single ship model has been made fairly poorly when even compared to Trek games like Bridge Commander that came out nearly 10 years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 84
02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
^^^
ditto

just let the fans create the art assets if Cryptic wont do a decent job of it, I've seen some absolutely incredible Enterprise D mods for many different games. At the very least I just want Cryptic to fix this hull alignment issue. It's freaking unbelievable and would take 15 seconds to fix.

Cryptic's unresponsiveness is really mind boggling
Lt. Commander
# 85
02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinbob View Post
I'd sooner they change things like, oh, I don't know, maybe keeping the bloody server up on a Saturday first!
the art team is not the programming team, at least not on any game made in the last 15 years it isn't. There's no reason why the art department can't make the minor fix that this model needs while other game issues are handled by the programmers. This is a 5 minute fix and there's no excuse for it taking so long.

Hell, I could do it myself if they'd let me. It's not a tough problem
Lt. Commander
# 86
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morildar View Post
Cryptic's unresponsiveness is really mind boggling
So you couldn't read the full thread and see they actually have replied? (Or - try clicking on the DEV POST icon on the threads list - it'll pop you right to his post.)

To the OP:
And yeah - this was one of the most rediculious threads I've read yet...

Of all the bugs a just released game has - THIS is the one you freak about? Hopefully your mom can tuck you in and tell you it will be alright tonight... would hate for you to not be able to sleep over an issue like this.
Lt. Commander
# 87
02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewind View Post
This most iconic vessel needs work...
This is where your post FAILS HARD!

The galaxy class is NOT the most iconic vessel. The CONSTITUTION CLASS is! TOS and ST I - IV.
Lt. Commander
# 88
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morildar View Post
the art team is not the programming team, at least not on any game made in the last 15 years it isn't. There's no reason why the art department can't make the minor fix that this model needs while other game issues are handled by the programmers. This is a 5 minute fix and there's no excuse for it taking so long.

Hell, I could do it myself if they'd let me. It's not a tough problem
The obvious model fixes, like the star drive section not lining up with the saucer or the engine pylons are just the tip of the iceberg for what this model needs. I've noticed that the dorsal phaser array on the saucer section is missing and there is a nice gouge in the model as to where it should go, the escape pods are in the wrong spots and absent from where they are supposed to be. The Stardrive section is missing all nine of it's modeled arrays that can be seen in the show. The Starfleet emblems are missing from the locations on where they should be and that is made painfully clear by the double red stripes on both of the nacelles leading back from where the emblems are supposed to be. The default windows on the class are the wrong type, they are supposed to be slits not circles, and speaking of there is an issue on the bottom of port side of the stardrive section where the windows aren't showing up and clipping in several areas. There is no torpedo launcher modeled onto the ship, and the red glowing parts of the nacelles are too short. In essence the model of the Galaxy is not finished, and this is the one ship that I really wanted to play once I hit captain.
Lt. Commander
# 89
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtattersall View Post
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It looks like a part offset issue. When working on ship variations we sometimes need to adjust the connection points of existing ships. Unfortunately in this case it appears to have caused this hull to be offset from the rest of the ship.

We have prioritized the bug appropriately.
On a related note, the Saber hull has a similar problem. One of the warp nacelles (the right one I believe) is mounted farther forward than the other.
Lt. Commander
# 90
02-17-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtattersall View Post
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It looks like a part offset issue. When working on ship variations we sometimes need to adjust the connection points of existing ships. Unfortunately in this case it appears to have caused this hull to be offset from the rest of the ship.

We have prioritized the bug appropriately.
This bug was prioritized on the 12th, but we've had TWO patches since and it's still not fixed...