Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
# 71
04-11-2010, 05:49 AM
wow massive post from debrrose! (I'll post my answers to the issues that were noted)

First off, you can actually export your bound keys to bind file, I think its /bindsave filename, then you would just do /bindload filename (I can't recall the exact command, but I think that's the correct one).

I do agree there is a major lack of useful information in the game. It is too subtle, too minimal. There needs to be an encyclopedia style system (in my mind, I see a Starfleet Library Computer (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Library_computer) system as part of the game). This would have a search feature where you can look up anything STO related, from Skill details, game controls, to location and personnel information.

Officer AI - I agree, the officers certainly act stupid a lot of the time. Especially that they can so easily get stuck around the corner of a corridor, yet they are expert high jumpers when you move up 1 step!
I've suggested before that officers need a special personal transporter, with special button added to the Away Team UI that you press, and any stuck officers will beam in right next to you.

Don't worry about death penalty - from my understand, it may be linked in with the difficulty slider?

What do you mean about the launcher? I don't quite understand. The launcher goes through its usual process and sits at Engage for me. Since I've signed up to Tribble, I see the Tribble option on the left side of the screen. I definitely have heaps of time to read notifications etc in the launcher. Perhaps you have some option set in the launcher Options?

With regards to changing your outfit: do you mean the tailor? Or just switching? You know you can visit your bridge and then change your outfit? Right click your portrait in the top left corner and select the outfit option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrrose View Post
Did anyone actually watch more than babylon 5 and deep space 9, before writing this game? There was a live series a long time ago, and books detailing each episode. There was an animated series very similar to the original live series, and books for those episodes. There was a long dry spell. There were movies. There was another live series. There were more movies. There were several prequel/sequel/spinoff series. There were books not related to the episodes. There was yet another movie in an alternate timeline. All these were sources of information that should have served as a reference. Yes, perhaps younger developers thought the original series was cheesy or there were too many different slices of the star trek universe to pay attention to, and in some cases later writers made mistakes through lack of attention to detail or ignorance of the reasoning, and so contradicted earlier established facts, but every piece was an important bit that should carry weight in the universe.
Why are you even referencing Babylon 5?!? It has no relation to STO or Star Trek!!!! And if you've been on the forums for a while, you would've seen posts that the devs were watching heaps of different Star Trek episodes to help give them ideas etc.

Also regarding Tetryon: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tetryon -- they are using valid spelling, as used in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 72
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
And why are the bridge officers so stupid? If I say fire and keep firing, they should either keep firing or get thrown into the brig. I shouldn't have to kill my wrist hitting the fire all weapons button over and over.
I agree, but I'd also like to add that I'd like to see more than an all or nothing option. Most of the feedback I've read on the forums advocates for a "fire everything" feature, but I'd thrilled to have a "fire selected beam weapons option". This is not the same as "fire all beam weapons" - specifically because power management is much more important in the game now. Start firing the weapons I choose and stop when I switch targets or tell them to stop. For the most part, the only fire command I will want manual control over is for torpedoes -- there is strategic value in timing hull impacts to make them far more effective.

Quote:
It's too bad that nobody in the star trek universe has properly functioning eyes. I can only assume that some sort of roaming gamma ray has damaged the optic nerves of all species throughout space so that they can only see drab colors.
In the game's defense, there is a huge amount of color in the game. Perhaps you are referring to the drab color choices in the color picker options? If so, then I agree. Give me the option to use more colors here, heck I'd even be happy with RGB or CYMK values.

Quote:
Why can't items be dropped? There are lots of things that are taking up space and not needed but someone else might want them. The exchange only lets 20 things be listed. Why not a donation box or something, where you could leave helpful stuff for low level characters to rummage in? Or allow more tings in the exchange, and allow posting for 0 credits.
You can drop (destroy) any item in inventory at any time, perhaps I'm missing something here? <speculation> The reason they don't let you easily drop items to other players is probably related to the game's economy. There are not a lot of creative ways to dispose of the massive amounts of credits you start earning in the latter half of the game. This provides one avenue for them to remove credits from the economy.</speculation> Note that this is one area where the max skill cap severely works against the game mechanics - without the ability to train all available skills, there is no incentive to spend credits on one of the game's most expensive items (starships). That said, I am not pleased that the game features 4 or 5 different forms of credits and merits. Make life simple and use one currency for everything please. Adjust item values accordingly. If you want to encourage players to explore certain content areas, use medals and achievements instead.
Lt. Commander
# 73
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't mind losing the bridge officer portraits if I choose to use three rows of hotkeys. What I do miss is the color differentiation between the classes.

I suggest that bridge officer skills have a colored bezel around the button that corresponds with their class. That way it's just as easy to see at a glance which skills are tactical/engineering/science whether you have the portraits onscreen or not.
Lt. Commander
# 74
05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnume
What is the point of having a Tray with 3 Bars if one of the bars just basically duplicates the BO Bar? I need the BO skills so obviously I will keep them open so that leaves me with just a 2 Bar Tray ... why even have a 3 Bar Option?
The BO's portraits are completely useless. Also, there are large gaps. A 3-bar option makes more sense, because it uses the available space more efficiently and it's fully customizable. I always use the 3-bar variant. If there was a more slim version without the portraits (maybe with colored frames or something like that), I would second your point.
Lt. Commander
# 75
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm sure it has been mentioned but I'm going to mention it again. Please give us a freaking 'Turn off tips' option before those of us who don't have a fantastic grip on reality finally go over the edge, barricade ourselves in a cabin in the woods somewhere and start writing manifestos against technology.
Lt. Commander
# 76
06-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatonastick
Please give us a freaking 'Turn off tips' option
Heavily seconded. After months of playing, everyone should know that they can buy stuff from Ensign Lessa and customize der clothes at Ghenik Telur. There's no need to remind everyone of it every time you come near one of them.

The worst UI issue in my opinion are the pop-up dialogues. Not that they only disable your engine, but every time you killed that last battleship your ship is stopping right next to it before it explodes. This can be turned off in the options, though. But if you do, your ship is always flying into a station or a planet when the beam down dialog appears, if you don't stop your ship by hand. There should be small reminders on the lower right-hand corner of the screen, if your bridge officers have something to say. Preferably something you didn't read a thousand times before. They could be marked if it's a dialogue you've never seen before, so you don't miss anything if you really want to read them.

Same issue with the summary after a PvP match. I often continue to fight after the match is over (because that last fight isn't over yet), the table plopping up right in my face doesn't help there.
Lt. Commander
# 77
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
The listed UI improvements would really help to make the game more user friendly.

The ones I find especially important, but shouldn't be that hard to implement:
1 - ability to split a stack of items
2 - ability to "call" a target for teammates to be able to easily target, similar to default "Y" button for BOffs on ground mode
3 - have tricorder mark mission objectives on the mini-map, and possibly have it also locate mission firendly NPCs, and enemies. Conversely, have tricorder "point" to the nearest of any of that list in addition to anomalies.

The splitting stacks is especially annoying trying to donate some but not all of your loot to the fleet bank.