Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I thought it was quite unfortunate that Cryptic had taken away the real-world perspective from STO, one of the main things I wanted to do most of the time when on STO was hang around Deep Space Nine- but after 5 mins I left. The locations need alot of scaling & accuracy revisions applied, the DS9 in The Fallen videogame was 100 times better than what was in STO. I remember seeing screenshots for STO before Cryptic took over and they looked like something I could roam around for hours- the artists had everything correctly scaled, in perspective and screen accurate; and the one thing I was expecting was the ship interiors as thats where most of Star Trek's appeal is- I remember buying the expansion for the st elite force game solely because you could walk the interiors.

As a developer and perfectionist for my videogame work, the geometry and art assets of STO are what I could cough up in a few days- I can't pay anymore for STO until they make it actually look like Star Trek and not a lego toyland. The evidence is there from the start when you are pushed into a huge boxy environment with oversized doors, it almost seems like something I could remember from a nightmare as a child.

I wish all the best for the developers and hope they make something better of the great potential that they have in this license, in my view- the only things that need to be changed are the visuals, scale of everything to be set to what was actually in Star Trek, the lightng system and somewhat clunky controls.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithwolves View Post
I thought it was quite unfortunate that Cryptic had taken away the real-world perspective from STO, one of the main things I wanted to do most of the time when on STO was hang around Deep Space Nine- but after 5 mins I left. The locations need alot of scaling & accuracy revisions applied, the DS9 in The Fallen videogame was 100 times better than what was in STO. I remember seeing screenshots for STO before Cryptic took over and they looked like something I could roam around for hours- the artists had everything correctly scaled, in perspective and screen accurate; and the one thing I was expecting was the ship interiors as thats where most of Star Trek's appeal is- I remember buying the expansion for the st elite force game solely because you could walk the interiors.

As a developer and perfectionist for my videogame work, the geometry and art assets of STO are what I could cough up in a few days- I can't pay anymore for STO until they make it actually look like Star Trek and not a lego toyland. The evidence is there from the start when you are pushed into a huge boxy environment with oversized doors, it almost seems like something I could remember from a nightmare as a child.

I wish all the best for the developers and hope they make something better of the great potential that they have in this license, in my view- the only things that need to be changed are the visuals, scale of everything to be set to what was actually in Star Trek, the lightng system and somewhat clunky controls.

Im sure people will give you grief for stating your observations and opinion...but...I am cancelled my subscription. So, Im basically in the same boat as you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes, these forums are for fanbois only. We have no use for personal opinion or constructive ideas. Only mindless acceptance and blindly forking over a sub fee. Or, you must buy a lifetime sub, then either put it in your forum sig or somehow work that fact into your every post.

That's what these forums are for.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I want this game to suceed, right now it feels like when you want to grab some teenage and scream "wake the **** up!" out of frustration.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMan View Post
Yes, these forums are for fanbois only. We have no use for personal opinion or constructive ideas. Only mindless acceptance and blindly forking over a sub fee. Or, you must buy a lifetime sub, then either put it in your forum sig or somehow work that fact into your every post.

That's what these forums are for.
So what you are saying is that players that like the game and are having fun are mindless. And those that QQ and rage quit have a right to do so because of freedom of speech.

What about those that enjoy the game but have many problems with how the game is presented? But will stay for awhile to see how they change the game? Are we mindless as well? Is everyone that may have a different opinion than you mindless in your eyes?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
This game desperately need a social aspect. As of right now the entire game is single player, instanced, and not a mmorpg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithwolves View Post

I and others have raised this issue for months now, since the closed beta. I'm told the reason for the awkward scaling has to do with the requirements of the third-person perspective, lighting and the fact that multiple people crowding doors and entryways can make it hard to move around. I agree, however, that this is a problem to be solved, not a limitation to be accepted.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
This game desperately need a social aspect. As of right now the entire game is single player, instanced, and not a mmorpg.
This is so true. It would be nice to have a few planets. Not just a big rectangle, but an entire planet to explore, build fleet bases, PvP and have actual crafting. They could still be instances, just much much larger. Enough room for your entire fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I and others have raised this issue for months now, since the closed beta. I'm told the reason for the awkward scaling has to do with the requirements of the third-person perspective, lighting and the fact that multiple people crowding doors and entryways can make it hard to move around. I agree, however, that this is a problem to be solved, not a limitation to be accepted.

EB
The problem with that answer is that other games have managed much more sanely sized interiors in third person (the named DS9: The Fallen even doing so with Trek interiors) and our bridges have no functional doorways to crowd through. Our bridges are a bunch of bad looking empty space thats not used for anything.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 12:16 AM

I agree with the OP. And as I understand it, this was a large issue during Close Beta, where the community basically had nothing good to say about the ridiculously huge interiors.

Not only that, but they have completely muffed up ship scales. They tout Cruisers as being "the big ships"... well that is cockamamie nonsense when I see a SABER or DEFIANT next to a Galaxy Class.

What were they thinking? And how could CBS allow for this?