Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylyn View Post
Well established becomes an interesting point, if you look at all the licensed materials about Klingons. FASA had a Star Trek table top game predating ST:TNG and many people knew of another game from point in time called Star Fleet Battles.
Even regardless of FASA (which, by the way, was very well developed), TOS-era Klingons had a much more richly cultivated cultural heritage than TNG and subsequent series depict. TOS Klingons could be compared to ancient Asian empires, whereas 'modern' Klingon culture took a decidedly feral or primal turn.

In TOS, the war was far more about clash of cultures and ideologies, and that the Klingon culture was far more unified than the Federation hodge-podge of cultures. Specific weapons technologies became meaningless compared to this ideological battle.

The opposite is true in TNG and subsequent series.

I would really like to see a return to TOS style, and I already see it in the general gameplay... just not enough.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Even regardless of FASA (which, by the way, was very well developed), TOS-era Klingons had a much more richly cultivated cultural heritage than TNG and subsequent series depict. TOS Klingons could be compared to ancient Asian empires, whereas 'modern' Klingon culture took a decidedly feral or primal turn.

In TOS, the war was far more about clash of cultures and ideologies, and that the Klingon culture was far more unified than the Federation hodge-podge of cultures. Specific weapons technologies became meaningless compared to this ideological battle.

The opposite is true in TNG and subsequent series.

I would really like to see a return to TOS style, and I already see it in the general gameplay... just not enough.
I can agree with that point of view. =)
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
As much as I like Klingons the way they were presented in "The Final Reflection" (later expanded on by FASA for their game sourcebooks), that interpretation is sadly entirely non-canon, and they have been developed so far in the opposite direction (as space Vikings in TNG onward) that I really see no chance of it ever becoming part of any official Trek product.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
As much as I like Klingons the way they were presented in "The Final Reflection" (later expanded on by FASA for their game sourcebooks), that interpretation is sadly entirely non-canon, and they have been developed so far in the opposite direction (as space Vikings in TNG onward) that I really see no chance of it ever becoming part of any official Trek product.
Don't even need to rely on 'non-canon' sources. TOS shows and films provided enough. Granted, the later films became the compromise between TOS and TNG, to provide the franchise with a transition from 'cultured' to 'primitive'.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-12-2010, 03:13 AM
According to the game's storyline, Worf severed ties with starfleet and the federation and returned to be part of the klingon empire because he didn't like the way the federation was doing things.

If WORF, the most human of all klingons, the only klingon to ever really respect humans and starfleet in the first place, got fed up with it and returned to the empire, I can't see any other pure blooded klingon PERIOD being in Starfleet.

But hey, this game isn't made to make sense, nothing in it really does anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
and that guy that looked like a 3 foot tall martian was pretty awesome.
Hehe i have seen a fair few of those aliens. Reminds me of that one from American dad.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-12-2010, 04:43 AM
I agree it's pretty stupid and not very logical, but then again so is the rest of this game.

Just chalk it up to two of the most fundamental rules in game design.

1. Customization = Fun
2. Fun > Logic

Put those together and bam. Klingons are a minority in their own faction.

But really it doesn't matter that much anyway what race people are. Only time you see it is on away missions and it's not like you really stop and stare at them. I mean could you name half the races of bridge officers who didn't belong to you when doing away missions with a buddy? Nobody really pays attention to that, nobody cares.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
My personal feeelings on this matter can be summed up by Martok - "We are Klingons, Worf. We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them."
For a minute there, I felt all warm and cuddly!...I meanerrr!

EDIT:
Just give me a button to make all KDF players look like Klingons(i'll even accept the NPC non-Klingons)...then Im fine. I frankly can careless about seeing your wayward creativity expressed in the KDF...but thats just how I want to play.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Really have to agree about FASA and TOS klingons, TNG+ klingons are so very limited in scope.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Roleplay or Making ship up if the base races were better less people would roll aliens to max out in PvP.