Lt. Commander
# 11
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
well... i have my suspicions that there is some back room money wrangling going on now between Cryptic and Atari and other interested parties....

Like what happens if Atari doesnt have the funds they owe crptic... or wont pay out all of it because of the state of the game? Either of them could just walk away. Or what if you are a dev and havent gotten that bonus yet.. do you keep deving or do you walk like most other people in those situations do. Something just tells me that everything is well behind the scenes.
please explain what you mean.

but from what I understand you're worried that something mite happen, and the devs mite leave.

1. that seems very unlikely

and

2. CBS does own the IP they could pull it, and resale it to another dev team. most likely the game with it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadea
HG:L is far from dead, it is actually making a comeback as Hellgate-Resurrection or Hellgate-Tokyo. Even then it was never really dead due to the included single-player mode. (I tend to install it every now and then when i get the craving)

Though I guess that's still poor consolation for the lifers...
Would be funny if they packed up STO in less than a year stealing the lifer's money, then re-released it in Asia. Well... not so funny to the lifers but the writing is on the wall considering Cryptic would hire a guy who's all ready done it before. That means Cryptic has no problem with that sort of conduct.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Not to defend the sushi muncher, but thats not exactly accurate. He drove flagship into the ground harder than when the Titanic hity bottom, true, but the game being re released th korea wasnt their choice. the game was snatched up by Hanbitsoft as they were the ones that flagship had borrowed the money from to start up the game in the first place, and when they couldnt repay the loan, they got the IP of the game... something like that anyways... meh i dont remember exactly. The guy that got the game after flkagship went under refused to sell the US distribution rights to the guys that now owned the game an thats why it couldnt come back to the US. Sushi roper didnt have anything to do with that, he just had everything to do with killing HGL and flagship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
you also have to add in to the fact that with the IP it could turn in to a niche game like EvE.
My secret wet dream, but I suspect Cryptic will try to avoid that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
My secret wet dream, but I suspect Cryptic will try to avoid that.
umm... ... ... ok. but do you think it is going to go the way of HGL?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
Not to defend the sushi muncher, but thats not exactly accurate. He drove flagship into the ground harder than when the Titanic hity bottom, true, but the game being re released th korea wasnt their choice. the game was snatched up by Hanbitsoft as they were the ones that flagship had borrowed the money from to start up the game in the first place, and when they couldnt repay the loan, they got the IP of the game... something like that anyways... meh i dont remember exactly. The guy that got the game after flkagship went under refused to sell the US distribution rights to the guys that now owned the game an thats why it couldnt come back to the US. Sushi roper didnt have anything to do with that, he just had everything to do with killing HGL and flagship.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
umm... ... ... ok. but do you think it is going to go the way of HGL?
I never played HGL. I don't think the game will be shut down before a long time, the IP alone can provide enough players, even if Cryptic is unable to improve the game significantly.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
lol, bill roper was the ceo of flagship. he's not the ceo of cryptic studios.

bill roper was director in blizzard and produced the diablo, ********, and the starcraft series.

bill roper now holds pretty much the same position as he did in blizzard, and he proved to be very successful in that position while there.

bill roper really has nothing to do with sto. at all.

i love these doom/gloom threads.

here's some additional food for thought.

richard garriott created tabula rasa.

tabula rasa is a sci fi mmo.

tabula rasa failed and got shut down.

based on that i predict sto will fail.

i'm going to predict and blame sto's future failure on richard garriot.

cause they're so connected in so many ways.
Lt. Commander
# 19 concerned
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
If it wasn't for the fact they are using the Star Trek IP, this game reminds me of Hellgate London the more I play it.

Instanced zones only able to support small amounts of live players? Check
Central hubs crammed with people but nothing to provide a social atmosphere? Check
Fun yet extremely repetitive combat with a limited variety of weapon types? Check
Lack-luster preorder and fluff items? Check
Vague promises of content and fixes coming soon via patches? Check
Glitchy unfinished areas and watered down pvp? Check
Same guy who created HGL and lifetime subs then drove it into the ground now working for Cryptic? Check

HGL servers are now defunct and shut down, long before lifetime(founders) got their monies worth of support and play time. Will STO stuffer the same fate? Tune in next episode of.....
Attachment 3508
Why would they let the guy who created the fail that is HGL even touch a major MMO IP like STO? After reading your post and clearly thought out predictions, I'm very very grateful I did not buy a lifetime sub. I feel okay spending the $59 for pre-order and $16 a month after tax for a few months until I see if your predictions really do come true. I like how your post isn't a flame, but quite logical and discouraging as I still hope for great things from this game. You can't blame me or other fans because how much longer will it be before another Star Trek MMO comes along, this game is our only hope to play this IP for a long long time I imagine.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I never played HGL. I don't think the game will be shut down before a long time, the IP alone can provide enough players, even if Cryptic is unable to improve the game significantly.
kind of on the same page there, every time I read a doom post like this one, I just have to shake my head, and laugh it off.