Lt. Commander
http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderb...d-for-3-years/

"In the early days we all tend to think our kids sound like they’re speaking language from outer space. But d’Armond Speers went the other way. He only spoke Klingon to his son for the first three years of the boy’s life.

Yes, three years with nothing but a language that exists specifically for Trekkies to indulge their inner geekdom.

Technically, it is a real language. According to the Klingon Language Institute (no joke), a trained linguist was hired to create a language for the aliens of Star Trek. It has its own vocab, grammar and usage. Books have been published in it. You can even get tapes to learn the language.

But all this still doesn’t explain how Speers thought it would be most useful to speak nothing but Klingon to a child growing up in the Twin Cities.

Get this - he says he’s NOT a Star Trek fan. He does, however, have a doctorate in computational linguistics (according to City Pages Minneapolis/St. Paul News Blog), and he wanted to see “whether my son, going through his first language acquisition process, would acquire it like any human language.”

So what you’re saying, Herr Doctor, is you used your kid as part of a science experiment?

In truth, it probably wasn’t that damaging. Although it’s not a language he’ll be using at preschool, it’s no worse than teaching him English only to up and move to Indonesia or Spain when he’s three - where he suddenly has a whole new language to learn. Kids are much more adept at mastering a new tongue - both because their brains are so pliable but also because their tongues are more flexible (best thing my parents did - send me for French lessons at six; I don’t remember the language, but my accent is excellent).

But we have a feeling no one will understand him when he announces his graduation from Starfleet Academy. Although he will know many things.

What do you think? Warping or just weird?"
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
That kid is going to be soooooooo messed up.

May be that Chat knows very littleabout raising kids but she is fairly certain that the early years are fairly importantto shaping who the child will become. Genetics does play a role yes but so does the whole rasing it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I want to see a video of this kid talking in Klingon at 3.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Maybe a better solution would be for dedicated fans to go live together in their own town where everything is Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduceus View Post
In truth, it probably wasn’t that damaging.
Wow, just wow....

Faildad is uberfail and needs his child custody revoked, simple as that.

As for not damaging: When and if you have your own child try to speak with it gibberish, and I mean something completely made up, up until the age of 4 (or was it 5?), see what happens.

Those are the 4(5) most crucial years in any human being regarding forming language and understanding.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduceus View Post
Maybe a better solution would be for dedicated fans to go live together in their own town where everything is Klingon.
Id be worried theyd actually start thinking they ARE Klingons and start a war with the Federation going around killing every non-klingon in sight. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaride View Post
Id be worried theyd actually start thinking they ARE Klingons and start a war with the Federation going around killing every non-klingon in sight. :p
Typical of the massive fail that the bureaucratization of scholarship has brought about. Only an idiot would consider the criteria for a language being "real" revolves around it being designed by a "linguist" etc etc ad nauseum.

Languages are real because people developed them as a natural process.

I'm become more and more amazed every day at the ability of people to create escapist false realities and still thing they are "powerful" and "elite" and "strong", and probably worse, "intelligent".

What a mess.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancrizans View Post
I'm become more and more amazed every day at the ability of people to create escapist false realities and still thing they are "powerful" and "elite" and "strong", and probably worse, "intelligent".
Where are you posting again?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 03:11 AM
I have to say, this is something that I would not do. As a parent I feel behoven to do my best in every possible way to prepare my children for the world they will face. As such, I fail to see how the Klingon language would be of any help whatsoever.

To echo a previous reply, this does have a rather unpleasant child-experimentation air about it. My family is multilingual - I'm English, my wife is Portuguese and we live in Portugal. My children were raised bilingual at home and are learning another language at school. I think languages are good - they improve the mind and open up exploration of other cultures for the child.

But Klingon? Only Klingon? The mind boggles...

Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 03:12 AM
PICTURES

Or it never happened.