Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 04:35 AM
I'm sure the kid is going to grow up being perfectly well adjusted

Oh wai--
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Hey, theres also an actual starfleet acadamy being built.

there are many star trek institutions of learning too No joke

Personally i want to go study at starfleet acadamy
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 04:48 AM
I wonder what "Gratuated from Starfleet Academy" will do to your resume though.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Why would the kid be screwed up??

Would the child be damaged by this? No of course not. It's just words, but spoken in a different dialect than you are used to hearing. It would be the same as if he was bought up using a dead or ancient Earth language or one used by a limited number of people. Just because it isn't spoken by the majority of us doesn't mean the child will be damaged by learning Kilngon, it fact it may help the kid learn more complex and difficult languages in the future.

Children are just little learning computors really.

Language doesn't damage a child, it's what is said that can.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancrizans View Post
Typical of the massive fail that the bureaucratization of scholarship has brought about. Only an idiot would consider the criteria for a language being "real" revolves around it being designed by a "linguist" etc etc ad nauseum.

Languages are real because people developed them as a natural process.

I'm become more and more amazed every day at the ability of people to create escapist false realities and still thing they are "powerful" and "elite" and "strong", and probably worse, "intelligent".

What a mess.
What I'm amazed at is how people still to this day can not recognize a joke on the internet. What a mess.

I want to hear about the kid's first fight in school, Yes Mr. Mok'Tagh little Gibbah'ck was playing in the sandbox when little Ronald dumped sand on him, and that's when your son buried a Bat'Leth into Ronald's chest and ate his heart.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaride View Post
Id be worried theyd actually start thinking they ARE Klingons and start a war with the Federation going around killing every non-klingon in sight. :p
Pfffft, considering the constitution of the average wannabe-klingon, you probably could slap them lightly and then watch when they dissolve into tears.

Or just let them run after you for some hundred meters, and watch them wheeze and squeal while they try to reach you.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Legion View Post
Why would the kid be screwed up??

Would the child be damaged by this? No of course not. It's just words, but spoken in a different dialect than you are used to hearing. It would be the same as if he was bought up using a dead or ancient Earth language or one used by a limited number of people. Just because it isn't spoken by the majority of us doesn't mean the child will be damaged by learning Kilngon,
So, you would deny the child his mothertongue for some pseudo-scientific experiment?
Quote:
... it fact it may help the kid learn more complex and difficult languages in the future.
Thats just ********. You just said that klingon is just another language, so learning klingon would not differ from learning english, spanish or whatever.
Quote:
Children are just little learning computors really.
No, they are human beings you sick ****.
Quote:
Language doesn't damage a child, it's what is said that can.
Yeah, right. Imagine that kid in school. It will be tortured for ever, by everyone.

If it really happened like that, child protective services should check out that crazy person!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
IDK, I'd love it if Klingon was my first language...
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
IDK, I'd love it if Klingon was my first language...
Why?

(This is a serious question)
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaa
Why?

(This is a serious question)
Because I'd learn English over time by living here (America), but in the meantime, I'd have this really awesome sounding badass language to speak, and from my favorite television series to boot. It's much easier to learn a language by immersion (English in the US, for example) than by a book (Klingon, for example).