Lt. Commander
# 21
02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
hmm how is what he is doing different from the normal events that never gets sorted or people just plain out ignore? What is he doing that is so bad ? that the kid learns a language that hardly anybody use? If he had learned the kid Latin or some other dead language nobody of you would have cared at all.

To be honest there are more serious things to be worried about when it comes to parenting then a dead language, and i do speak of "parents who just dont give a ****/alcoholism/abusive amongst others, but most dont care about this, as it is as common place and accepted as murder or dead bodies on the 9 o'clock news.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Than View Post
hmm how is what he is doing different from the normal events that never gets sorted or people just plain out ignore? What is he doing that is so bad ? that the kid learns a language that hardly anybody use? If he had learned the kid Latin or some other dead language nobody of you would have cared at all.

To be honest there are more serious things to be worried about when it comes to parenting then a dead language, and i do speak of "parents who just dont give a ****/alcoholism/abusive amongst others, but most dont care about this, as it is as common place and accepted as murder or dead bodies on the 9 o'clock news.
He's teaching his kid to be a nerd early in life. Now its nothing but wedgies for the poor geek.

And a sidenote I believe that latin is a little more practical to learn that some made up klingon dork language.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Even if it's a made up language, that's still one language more than what most Americans speak.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
Even if it's a made up language, that's still one language more than what most Americans speak.
He wasnt teaching him two languages... he was speaking only klingon to him for the first 3 years. That my friend is a failure at being a parent.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Read about this a few months back. This article gives a few more details: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_363477.html

The child was learning English right alongside Klingon, and the father let off when he realized his son wasn't into it.

Sure, it sounds like the father was making his son out to be something of a guinea pig, but I fail to see the harm with it, seeing as he wasn't destroying his son's chances at communicating with others (the boy's mum made sure he picked up English). Aside from Klingon not having much practicality to it, it strikes me as no different than one parent speaking English and another speaking only in Spanish around their child.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduceus View Post
What do you think? Warping or just weird?"
I think that kid will possibly grow up to be smarter than his peers and thus may be quite miserable.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.mndaily.com/2009/11/17/lo...gon-dictionary

Ok, So Speers wasn't a nut case, he was a linguist. This wasn't yesterday, it was 15 years ago. Are we at a point now where we will tell a doctor they cannot set their kid's arm themselves, no? Then why is it when can tell a linguist what languages should and shouldn't be taught to their kid? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the, now young adult knowing more than just English. Hell, he probably can speak it better than most of his age group and ours.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshoha
He wasnt teaching him two languages... he was speaking only klingon to him for the first 3 years. That my friend is a failure at being a parent.
Really? You don't really believe that the kid only learned klingon? That would be child abuse.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
http://www.mndaily.com/2009/11/17/lo...gon-dictionary

Ok, So Speers wasn't a nut case, he was a linguist. This wasn't yesterday, it was 15 years ago. Are we at a point now where we will tell a doctor they cannot set their kid's arm themselves, no? Then why is it when can tell a linguist what languages should and shouldn't be taught to their kid? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the, now young adult knowing more than just English. Hell, he probably can speak it better than most of his age group and ours.

Why? cause we as a society need to be able to communicate with the little bugger. Now i can admire the linguist's (not child psychologist) desire to use this as a great opportunity for a science experiment, but to only speak a (extremely) foreign language sounds to me to be a bit off. Now, I aint no big city lawyer but I do declare that at age three a boy should be learn'n the language he gonn need to talk to the folk outside his door.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
It could've been worse...it could've been Esperanto...at least *some* people *somewhere* speak Klingon on Earth...