Lt. Commander
# 31
02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
Really? You don't really believe that the kid only learned klingon? That would be child abuse.
According to the poster yes... and I believe there are people that stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-11-2010, 06:56 PM
As many people have now pointed out, the kid was learning English too. So this in no way constitutes some failure of parenthood. That linguist is awesome in my book.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted the news about this guy but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwu88mfsKaY
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaa
So, you would deny the child his mothertongue for some pseudo-scientific experiment?

Thats just ********. You just said that klingon is just another language, so learning klingon would not differ from learning english, spanish or whatever.

No, they are human beings you sick ****.

Yeah, right. Imagine that kid in school. It will be tortured for ever, by everyone.

If it really happened like that, child protective services should check out that crazy person!
LMAO! OMG!! Did you not have your coffee when you replied to my post? What a rude person you are!!!

The brain (which most of us have) is really one squishy learning computor, just in our head, don't whirring away under our desk. The child will not be damaged at all by learning a language other that it's "Mother tongue". Are you saying we should only speak our "mother tongue"? and who decided what our mother tongue is and sounds like? We did! So technically English (or any other language) is just a "made up" bunch of text we happen to speak.

Of course kids are human beings... what else WOULD they be? chickens? *tries not to force a belm out* And don't call me a sick "inserts whatever you called me" just because I do not agree with your own thoughts and ideas. Thats just plain rude and nasty.

So.... a child talking in spanish who enters an all English speaking school or a school which does not speak it's 1st language will be "tortured forever" would they? errr.. no they wouldn't!! And as the other posters state, he learnt english as well!

Children are a lot smarter than you think and learn faster than us adults (if you are an adult) so it would not have been damaged at all. Thats all.

oh.. and Klingon is a very "glutteral" sounding language so may of helped him learn those where wording has harse sounds and different vocal techniques to say, french or english which can sound very soft.

And why would Social services need to be involved? Was the father beating the child or making him undergo Klingon fighting rituals? Forcing him to drink blood wine?! Locking him a cupboard for not eating his Targ meat? nopey.

Deary me. I recommend an afternoon petting a tribble to calm yourself down.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
As many people have now pointed out, the kid was learning English too. So this in no way constitutes some failure of parenthood. That linguist is awesome in my book.
Maybe he should have taught him something realative to RL. And not geek talk.