Lt. Commander
# 1 Nadion Inversion Must Go
02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I just got Nadion Inversion on my main character. I was so excited to get a new Engineering Officer skill because I love the other ones so far (Rotate Shield Frequency and EPS Power Transfer).

Then I get saddled with Nadion Inversion. The idea of it is neat, but a 10 minute cooldown???? There is no way that such a short duration of 50% energy weapon power drain is worth a 10 minute cooldown. Rotate Shield Frequency (when you put points into the proper skills) has the potential to dramatically heal your shields and reduce all incoming fire (right now mine regens about 1500 shield points and reduces damage by 40%), and it has a 90 second cooldown.

Why 10 minutes?? WHY?? That's what makes me hate this power so much. Does anyone else here think that 10 minutes is way too much for what it does? If it gave you invincibility for 60 seconds, sure, 10 minutes would be fine. But only 50% power drain from energy weapons? For 20 seconds (right now)? Not worth 10 minutes at all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Just wait till you get Miracle Worker, 15min cd for an ability that is worse than Engineering Team and *SCALES WITH CREW*.

Compare that to what the other classes get:

Tactical Initiative, 5min cd, 45s buff that reduces tactical BO power cooldowns by 27% (up to 42% with skills)
Go down fighting, 5 min cd (pretty sure), 1 min buff, as your hull decreases your damage increases directly, so at 50% hull you do 50% bonus damage.

Dampening Field, 3km radius 35% energy weapon resistance increase. Duration is quite long.
Photonic Fleet, 10 min CD but it summons 3 NPC ships with half health/shield values of players, which do full normal weapon damage and will occaisionally use Torpedo Salvo. They also persist after you die (if you do not hit respawn). Also a very long duration.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 02:42 AM
i think the cooldowns for nadion inversion and especially miracle worker are quite to long ..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUE_The6BillionKgMan
I just got Nadion Inversion on my main character. I was so excited to get a new Engineering Officer skill because I love the other ones so far (Rotate Shield Frequency and EPS Power Transfer).

Then I get saddled with Nadion Inversion. The idea of it is neat, but a 10 minute cooldown???? There is no way that such a short duration of 50% energy weapon power drain is worth a 10 minute cooldown. Rotate Shield Frequency (when you put points into the proper skills) has the potential to dramatically heal your shields and reduce all incoming fire (right now mine regens about 1500 shield points and reduces damage by 40%), and it has a 90 second cooldown.

Why 10 minutes?? WHY?? That's what makes me hate this power so much. Does anyone else here think that 10 minutes is way too much for what it does? If it gave you invincibility for 60 seconds, sure, 10 minutes would be fine. But only 50% power drain from energy weapons? For 20 seconds (right now)? Not worth 10 minutes at all.
It's 10 minutes because that's how long it takes an engineering T4 or T5 cruiser to turn 180 degrees around and be ready to use it again...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengeance000 View Post
It's 10 minutes because that's how long it takes an engineering T4 or T5 cruiser to turn 180 degrees around and be ready to use it again...
I loled

/10 char
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
For the record, your upcomming ground skill is going to suck too... engineers kind of got the shaft.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 03:28 AM
I agree, I played engineer in open beta and their ground kits were hands down the best which is some compensation. But the player space abilities are very lackluster when compared to their counterparts. The only really good one is rotate shield frequency, but by itself it doesn't stack up to the value of all the abilities that tactical and science officers get.

Tactical:

Attack pattern alpha - this one is amazing, this is one of the best damage buffs in the game and a reasonably short cooldown to boot.

Go down fighting - scaling damage buff that can exceed attack pattern alpha and become almost ridiculous at low hull values. I like to pop this when my hull gets low then immediately RSP in pvp, so i survive while doing absurd burst damage, it also has a nice long duration, however paying the price with a long cooldown.

Fire on my mark and Tactical initiative really aren't so good by comparison, still useful but not so gamechanging. Damage resistance debuffing doesn't do any good if the target isn't stacked on resists to begin with, and reduced tac officer cooldowns isn't so useful when so few of the tact abilities are truly useful compared to the number of officers you have available to cast them.

Science:

Sensor sweep - The best cloak detection in the game, very useful in pvp for catching those BoP's before they set you up the bomb.

Subnucleonic beam - Quite possibly the most overpowered captain skill in the game. With the correct equipment and skills buffing this and a quick swap to 100 aux, a science captain has a GG button with this ability, it'll shut down ALL skill usage on the target ship for a very long time (like 45 seconds) essentially leaving it defenseless and easy pickings. This one needs a nerf more than any of the others, it scales entirely too well and unlike Viral matrix, there is *no* counter, other than not getting hit by it in the first place.

Dampening Field - Haven't tried this yet, might be a handy buff for tanking bursts of damage but can't really comment here.

Photonic fleet - This one is purely awesome too. It creates a targeting problem espescially when used with klink carriers and or minefields. The added damage from the pets is a nice bonus too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodan View Post
Just wait till you get Miracle Worker, 15min cd for an ability that is worse than Engineering Team and *SCALES WITH CREW*.
Maybe other classes get better endgame skills overall, but I hardly call an instant 90% heal & Repair Subsystem worthless. Regardless of whether its on a 15 min cooldown or not, it can virtually bring you back from the dead. It's obviously on such a long cooldown to prevent it from being abused in PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 11:10 AM
90%?
With FULL crew on my negh'var (ALL engineering skills except the admiral tier ones) it is 56% hull heal, at 0% crew it is less than 10% heal. My Engineering Team II (Not even III) heals for almost 9k on a 45s cooldown, that's approx 30% of my hull.
Likewise engineering team is an instant subsystem repair AND 30s immunity to subsystem damage, and a large skill buff to engineering based skills.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodan View Post
90%?
With FULL crew on my negh'var (ALL engineering skills except the admiral tier ones) it is 56% hull heal, at 0% crew it is less than 10% heal. My Engineering Team II (Not even III) heals for almost 9k on a 45s cooldown, that's approx 30% of my hull.
Likewise engineering team is an instant subsystem repair AND 30s immunity to subsystem damage, and a large skill buff to engineering based skills.
I clock in at around 80-90% or so at full crew on my Assault Cruiser (800 crew) with the major engineering skills 9'ed. Even still, with the excessive cool down, and the ability being crew-dependant (and well, let's face it, you're going to be using this skill when your ship is blown apart, and thus most of your crew is dead/injured) it ends of being MUCH worse in practice than it sounds by those numbers. It needs the cool down cut severely, probably to be divorced from scaling with crew, and likely another benefit added on (like shield repair/buffing) in order to come anywhere close to the usefulness of skills like Go Down Fighting and Photonic Fleet.

Miracle Worker -looks- good when you're handed ideal numbers, but in play... it's lacking, as the reality of anything rarely falls in line with the ideal.