Lt. Commander
Yep, I bought the game two days ago, and have been spending every spare moment trying to make it playable.

If I use recommended settings, I only ever get about 5 frames per second. Less if there are other characters around. If I set it to lower quality settings, I get 10-15 FPS, but the entire screen is filled with graphical errors.

I've perused the forums, and I've done many things that were recommended. I reinstalled DirectX. I've downgraded to the GeForce 190 drivers. I've set various graphics options to various levels, but I only ever get unacceptably low framerates, a mixture of graphical errors (from objects and terrain blinking in an out of existence to gray lines filling the whole screen), or a combination of the two.

Here's my setup:
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
Video Memory: 512 MB DDR3
RAM: 2 GB DDR2

I don't have the best processor, but everything else is alright. I feel like I must be missing something really basic to be getting such horrid performance on this setup. Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
I have a 9800GTX+ (1024mb/ram) video card, an AMD Athlon 64 4200 dual core, and 2GB of DDR (not DDR2) ram and this game runs fine 90% of the time on completely maxed out settings (4x AA though) at 1280x1024.
Although I also have an nForce4 chipset, which although old now, was a very very well built chipset (and most likely the only reason I can play this game maxed out even still).

I am using the latest official nvidia nforce drivers and are experiencing no graphical issues. Although I'm using windows 7, and not XP (7 runs faster both in general, and runs games faster so I'm sticking to it).

Do you get graphical errors on any other games? Try out one of the nVidia graphics demos for your card and see how that works. The only two times I've ran into what you're describing was 1) when I had bad drivers loaded, or 2) when I had bad hardware (in the video card or otherwise). Make sure the card isn't over heating (caused by a damaged GPU, heat-sink, or something else), as that can cause it too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I have the exact same setup as above (Down to the same video card and CPU, but with 4gig DDR400). The only major graphical issues I have are flickering lights and textures on the ship when it's moving and blocky phasers.

I downgraded to an older driver set and haven't tested yet with the older drivers. If I still have issues I'm going to dig out the Omegas.

I get a little bit of FPS reduction in a heavily-crowded area, and sometimes it takes a few seconds to load a new environment, but overall the game runs smoothly. But still..It should run a lot more smoothly, considering Crysis, CoD5, World in Conflict, etc, all run flawlessly with no FPS loss even cranked at very high resolutions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essial View Post
Although I also have an nForce4 chipset, which although old now, was a very very well built chipset (and most likely the only reason I can play this game maxed out even still).

I am using the latest official nvidia nforce drivers and are experiencing no graphical issues. Although I'm using windows 7, and not XP (7 runs faster both in general, and runs games faster so I'm sticking to it).

Do you get graphical errors on any other games? Try out one of the nVidia graphics demos for your card and see how that works. The only two times I've ran into what you're describing was 1) when I had bad drivers loaded, or 2) when I had bad hardware (in the video card or otherwise). Make sure the card isn't over heating (caused by a damaged GPU, heat-sink, or something else), as that can cause it too.
Thanks, you got me part of the way there! I don't know whether it was updating my chipset driver or installing this morning's patch, but most of my graphical issues have disappeared and my framerate is a bit better.

However, I'm still only running at around 15 FPS, and it drops to 5 in crowded areas. It's more playable now, but from everything I've heard, I should be doing a lot better than that. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: I should mention that I did run a few of NVidia's demos, and have also run games like DDO and Vanguard, and they all run flawlessly.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Good for you, todays path made other players frame rate, i.e. ME a lot worse. Can't really play and I get the feeling its going to stay that way. Its jerky and worst type of game for that to happen is in space I reckon!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepesk View Post
Thanks, you got me part of the way there! I don't know whether it was updating my chipset driver or installing this morning's patch, but most of my graphical issues have disappeared and my framerate is a bit better.

However, I'm still only running at around 15 FPS, and it drops to 5 in crowded areas. It's more playable now, but from everything I've heard, I should be doing a lot better than that. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: I should mention that I did run a few of NVidia's demos, and have also run games like DDO and Vanguard, and they all run flawlessly.

Thanks.
Try Turning off Postprocessing effects and in the Troubleshooting section turn OFF all the framerate stabilization stuff. I that doesn't chnge anyhiing you can re-enable it, but the frame stabilization routine they had was killing my FPS - I can get 60 FPS in uncrowed space zones and 36 in crowed (@ 7950GTs - in SLI mode - custome SLI config that's been working for me since Champions Online (same engine)). Before I figiured out the tweaks i n NON Sli mode I was able tio get 30+ FPS in sparse areas and 18+ in crowded; so yes, I would think a 9800 could do better (bit like the poster above my MB is also running an Nvidia chipset, so that coud be helpping my overall performance.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the graphics nightmare. it's been like this since beta. ATI HD 4850 here, did all the AA, PP, lighting changes. Finally got the game working using the -maxfps 30 hack. Worked fine until the patch today now i get 10 minutes of play time and the computer shuts off again with GPU temps over 110c and fan at 100%. So very tired of this video issue. It'll be a month tomorrow since I first reported this during open beta.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevia
Welcome to the graphics nightmare. it's been like this since beta. ATI HD 4850 here, did all the AA, PP, lighting changes. Finally got the game working using the -maxfps 30 hack. Worked fine until the patch today now i get 10 minutes of play time and the computer shuts off again with GPU temps over 110c and fan at 100%. So very tired of this video issue. It'll be a month tomorrow since I first reported this during open beta.
The latest 2 patches have disabled the command line routines.

They've applied them into the Video Settings under 'troubleshooting' to allow for setup from the games menu/ingame.

So delete your command lines, run the game, and head straight for video options and reenable whatever worked for you ( Limiting frames to 30, the Frame sleep command etc )