Lt. Commander
# 1 Longevity...
02-11-2010, 05:21 AM
...will be an issue as well.

So, there is no higher rank than the Admiral in a naval organisation.

Cryptic should have done the following thing:

a) Only allow becoming a Lt. with the initial release, but of course there are, say, 30 levels of Ensign

b) Subsequent major expansions (think TBC / WotLK, not 3.1 or 3.2!) should increase rank cap

Problem as it is now:

After peaking out on the Admiral rank, there will be no more levelling.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Well at the top we have, in navy ranks -

(skiped Commodore)
Counter/Rear Admiral - In game
Vice Admiral
Squadron Admiral (you could even add Vice to that before if you want)
Fleet Admiral
Admiral of the Fleet, which probably would not work in game. But eh maybe.

Without doing anything fancy they could easily put the level cap at 65, perhaps 70 if they feel like explaining admiral of the fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
well thats not entirely true, theoretically there are still vice admiral, admiral and fleet admiral above the current rear admiral rank
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Rear Admiral is the lowest Admiral rank, there will be more if needed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I, too, question Cryptic's decision to make Admiral the top rank of launch. For many reasons, including the one you mention here. As for no place to go, they do have some wiggle room by setting everyone as Rear Admiral and Brigadier General. If it conforms to real-world ranks, there actually are higher levels to aspire to, since there are different ranks of Admirals/Generals (at least in the US armed forces). Maybe with the next expansion we'll be able to be Vice Admirals or somesuch.

I know it's mostly a cosmetic thing but for me there's much more excitement going from say Commander to Captain than from Admiral MkI to Admiral MkII.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 05:31 AM
i agree though that it is a bit silly to only have admirals flying around. there should be at least some kind of upper position that has options to create pvp/pve missions on a sandbox basis, basically creating quests and content for other players. how you handle that is another question, maybe only 1-3 fleet admirals per shard, something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 05:33 AM
I too would have preferred they start us out at Ensign and rank up to lt at 11. Not skipping Commodore would have been a nice plus too.

Even though this isn't the case they still could increase the cap 20 - 25 levels without any naming issues.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoul View Post
i agree though that it is a bit silly to only have admirals flying around. there should be at least some kind of upper position that has options to create pvp/pve missions on a sandbox basis, basically creating quests and content for other players. how you handle that is another question, maybe only 1-3 fleet admirals per shard, something like that.
There'll be a lot more than admirals flying around. People will make loads of alts, and far from all of these will ever achieve the rank of admiral. I'll be surprised if we ever get to the point where every ship we click on is captained by a Rear Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormianrootsolver View Post
After peaking out on the Admiral rank, there will be no more levelling.
Meh I always hated when games added levels. An artificial way to squeeze more money from customers. "New levels! I can't compete if I'm not max level; I'm not wanted in raids/pvp etc".

There's no need for more levels as long as you have enough contents and options. And you don't even need to rebalance the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Cryptic doesn't normally follw the increasing level cap that other games do. Pretty much all of their games max out at 50. CoH had a starting cap of 40 and they increased to 50, but they said right from the beginning it would be 50. I read somewhere that this game has a planned cap of 50 also but I don't remember where I read it.

I wouldn't plan on seeing the level cap increased by much, so Admiral is just fine as the top rank to start.

edit: The problem I always had with increasing the level cap is you now to start gearing up a character all over again. You may have spent weeks getting all the right gear and it all becomes worthless over night.