Lt. Commander
When i went to get promoted to Lt commander i was asked to choose a ship, so i did. However this didnt trigger the continued mission. Now i am a commander i still have the Choose your starship mission from Lt commander.

I cant drop the mission so i will be stuck with it til its fixed. Oh i also tried to buy a t2 ship which didnt solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this? is it a known bug?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 07:08 AM
I have same problem. Cant drop the mission either.

Check to see if you can get PVP medals for missions. Im not getting PVP medals after several missions. I believe the two problems may be related. I think the PVP medals dont get rewarded if the Promotion mission is incomplete ( should be based on your rank not based on completion of a mission)

The promotion mission says I need to select a ship
1> I selected the free ship and used it. Mission not complete.
2> Bought a 2nd CDR ship , equipped it and used it for a few missions. Promotion mission would not complete.
3> Bought the 3rd Ship. I have all 3 now. CDR Promotion Mission will not complete.

I am CDR 2.9 now.

I've tried to ignore the CDR Promotion Mission because I am leveling. CDR 2.9
But I can't recieve and friggen Medals for PVP. Hence I cannot purchase PVP gear for My ship and my toon. The PVP mission end and show I've recieved the CDR Medals, But stats list no medals for CDR level. My LtCDR medals are still lised but none for CDR.

Very annoying problem here. Please FIX !!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I have this exact same issue regarding the mission "Promotion Commander". I spoke to Admiral Quinn, then Lt. Laurel, and selected a research science vessel from the store. However, the mission still says "Select Starship from Store." My first thought was it bugged out and didn't realize I had already received my new starship, so I purchased a heavy cruiser for 68k credits, but it still didn't work. I've submitted a ticket, but it's been pending for almost 5 days now with no reply...

On the bright side, I have a theory as to why it bugged out: When you got promoted, did you speak to Admiral Quinn in person in his office before selecting your free ship?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 11:33 PM
as i am one mission away from this ill give it a small bump just incase this bug comes up
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 05:56 AM
heh I'm a captain now and i still have promotion to LT commander as an active mission still :S
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Are you selecting the free ship for the 1 token or are you selecting the ships that cost you energy credits to buy?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 09:10 AM
If you go to the stateroom and talk to the guy at the podium it finishes the optional part of the quest. Not sure if that is what you're asking about though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJohn
Are you selecting the free ship for the 1 token or are you selecting the ships that cost you energy credits to buy?
This is fairly complicated, but to the best of my memory this is how it went down: Immediately following my promotion to Commander, I went straight to Lt. Laurel to get my new starship. At first, she wasn't offering the Commander ships for free, so I knew something was wrong. Then I remembered that you're supposed to talk to Admiral Quinn first. Instead of going down to his office, I hailed Starfleet and talked to Quinn through the hailing interface where he gave me the promotion mission. After this, I was able to purchase the new starship from Lt. Laurel for free. However, this is when I noticed that the promotion mission was still waiting for me to talk to Admiral Quinn in his office. So I walked all the way down to Quinn's office and talked to him in person. Then the quest told me to go back and talk to Lt. Laurel and requisition a new starship. Obviously, this is where the mission bugged out and got stuck on "Select Starship from Store" because I had already acquired my free starship.

I might be remembering this incorrectly, so maybe someone else could help verify this story. Then maybe we could get this bug fixed. It's pretty easy to fix: just make it so receiving the free starship token and the first part of the quest are linked. That way you can't do one without doing the other. I might be wrong though, it's not easy to duplicate a bug that can only occur at one opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiltdownman
If you go to the stateroom and talk to the guy at the podium it finishes the optional part of the quest. Not sure if that is what you're asking about though.
No, this is not for the optional mission. The optional mission is not bugged and completed without any problems. This bug is with the mission titled "Promotion Commander".
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Yet another fine example of 2 things:

- Cryptic still has way too many bugs in STO.

- Some players are obviously either too lazy or too stupid to FOLLOW AN INSTRUCTION.

I've read about several occasions now in which this mission bugged. But in each and every case the bug was triggered by the player itself - simply by not doing what they are told in the mission text or rather not doing it in the correct order.

While I agree that these are bugs and should be fixed, it would be incredibly simple to avoid bugs like this at all by following given instructions to the letter.

So in essence, blame for this is about 65% on Cryptic (since some more bug testing and implemention of "you can't do this yet" messages would have helped) and about 35% on you, Starfleet's finest aka the players (for, as I said, either being too lazy or too stupid to follow an instruction like "Meet & talk to person A, then go to person B and get item C").
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
I've read about several occasions now in which this mission bugged. But in each and every case the bug was triggered by the player itself - simply by not doing what they are told in the mission text or rather not doing it in the correct order.
If the player is able to break the program, then who is really to blame? The player who was just trying to test the boundaries of what the game would allow, or the programmer who did not even foresee this possibility? I think the answer to this is fairly obvious.