Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
this trailer is just for the new upcoming missions and such that they are going to be adding to the game, you cant play as borg... yet

i hope they add ability to play as them soon, and i put it to you that the borg are perfect for this kind of game

lets look at some factors,

hivemind : does not mean everyone has same mind, means everyones like a prossesor and does as orderd with data given from the central sourse .. IE the queen/hivemind and i put it that isnt that what the game is .. you get misisons/data and you go an do them orders.

borg have no free will : i put it that you have no free will within game anyway, you go where mission says, you do as the game and mission makers tell you to, this is not freewill... but is still fun

ships : borg have plenty of smaller ships for different classes and so i see no reason cant be done there

now i ask anyone to try and fight my logic of this not working
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
There have already been replies that have answered the "not play as a Borg faction" beautifully (IMO). Such as the common enemy one. Heck, as much as I wouldn't mind being an Undine, for the same reasons, we are probably not going to see it any time soon.

Sure, things can change and we may eventually get a Borg faction; but I don't see it happening "soon". If anything, it will be a year or two off at least.

Your enthuisiasm does you credit, but I am going to have to break your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderSoka View Post
hivemind : does not mean everyone has same mind, means everyones like a prossesor and does as orderd with data given from the central sourse .. IE the queen/hivemind and i put it that isnt that what the game is .. you get misisons/data and you go an do them orders.

borg have no free will : i put it that you have no free will within game anyway, you go where mission says, you do as the game and mission makers tell you to, this is not freewill... but is still fun
Both of these topics actually cover the same thing. One could argue that this game is not a "sandbox" type of game, and they'd be right. The thing is, in this type of game, you are still given an "illusion" of free will. It's just simple game mechanics. Being a Borg will stifle it, especially for Borg lovers. At the moment, you can have several missions and choose to do them in any order...or not. You can putz around in the Deep Space Encounter or go to Starbase 24 or do a mission from Quinn....or not. You can even DROP missions. And hey, I can go to Deep Space Nine and RP or chat up a storm with friends in-game. Borg should not be hanging out in "bars" hitting on "Borg Women" and walking their "Borg pets" in "Borg Doggy exercise parks".

Borg players, to be efficient, cannot do this. They can only accept and do one mission at a time. They cannot drop missions or chose to do a higher level mission and go back to a lower level one in their logs.

Time and time again, in the shows, Borg are treated as DRONES. Much like Bees or ants. "They" throw resources and ships at a problem until it is knocked down and do not care anything about a single Borg (until the Borg Queen was introduced). Such behavior does not scream, "Free will" and does not give an illusion of "free will" as I pointed with my earlier example (although you contend such is false and I agree to an extent, but the illusion is the key).

I think I could get more satisfaction and individuality (and fun) by playing Sim-Ant than by playing a Borg. But, that is only my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderSoka View Post
ships : borg have plenty of smaller ships for different classes and so i see no reason cant be done there
Oh yes...I start out in a small sphere and can graduate to a..triangle, which I can fully customize into a....triangle! When I reach the Borgie equivalent to "Admiral" I can choose from a Borg Cube...or a Borg Cube...or a Borg Cube! All with customizable Borg Cube options!

Nah, I think I will pass on the geometric shapes. Even the Tholians have better looking ships! Again, my opinion, but I know I am not alone. I know there are others that may also want to play Borg. You just got to round those folks up and keep asking Cryptic to do so, but I am fairly certain, from what I am seeing, most are happy to be "different" or "individualistic", even if it is within the confines of a game on admitted rails with missions and such. :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
borg ships are made up of meny different factors that could be change, from look of hull to other things you also dont take into account the coffin and assimiliator type ships which are very different,

and i dont expect to have a borg faction at all in this, i just state that the makeup of the game would be fine for the style of which the borg are, and at end of day again its a GAME hiveminds and such have no factor into it as long as its fun to play, also you cant honestly say "customization of ships" is the most extreme thing in this game, hardly does anything anyway so changing hull of a ship abit would be no different to changing necells on a ship