Lt. Commander
Hey gang!

I'm hoping you can help me, or offer some advice. I'm only Lt.8 on my Tac officer, and am trying to decide the best use of skills. I've found that the kit powers I enjoy most so far are Focus Fire and Suppressing Fire - and right clicking shows these skills key off of Firearms, Security, and Close Quarter Combat (not sure on that last one.)

Firearms and Security boost pistol damage, they say, so it looks like if I want to use those skills to their utmost, I start using pistol weapons. Here's my question, though: are there any AoE Exploit pistols at all? I can't find any.

Usually my current strat is to sent in my ground crew armed with AoE exploit attacks, and I pick off the exposed targets as possible - Split Beam Rifles are my current favorite for this. If I switch to pistols, I'd have to fall back to single target Exploits... which might not be TOO bad, but my ability to apply focus fire and suppressing fire to multiple targets would be limited.

Anyone have any advice?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Just give yourself and your entire away team Split Beam Rifles. Everything will be dead so quick you won't even need to bother with exposes\exploits.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Is there a disruptor version of split beam? I've only seen the phasers have this ability.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
There are dual pistols that you can use. Not sure if there are LT versions though. Got my first one mid Lt Cmdr. but I love the things. Especially with focus fire. Anyway, you wield a pistol/disruptor in each hand and there is an aoe function with those. You basically just fire every direction. I just got dual plasma pistols. They have the same base dps plus a DoT. They are pretty bad ass. , especially when using focus fire.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhuite View Post
Just give yourself and your entire away team Split Beam Rifles. Everything will be dead so quick you won't even need to bother with exposes\exploits.
Really? Those Swordmasters really mess me up. I might be drawing too much aggro, but even having two engineers with Shield Recharge and a Sci officer with Med Tricorder, I get pounded.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
There are dual pistols that you can use. Not sure if there are LT versions though. Got my first one mid Lt Cmdr. but I love the things. Especially with focus fire. Anyway, you wield a pistol/disruptor in each hand and there is an aoe function with those. You basically just fire every direction. I just got dual plasma pistols. They have the same base dps plus a DoT. They are pretty bad ass. , especially when using focus fire.
I think I saw those on the Exchange, but aren't they an AoE Expose, not an Exploit?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreal View Post
Really? Those Swordmasters really mess me up. I might be drawing too much aggro, but even having two engineers with Shield Recharge and a Sci officer with Med Tricorder, I get pounded.
Ninja them... drop your weapon and go hand to hand with em, works well for me
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreal View Post
I think I saw those on the Exchange, but aren't they an AoE Expose, not an Exploit?
I liked the Dual MkII disruptors and phasers at LT, but the cone/fan attack is an Expose. I always carry an Exploit sniper, autotarget or split beam rifle to flip to for Exploit attacks. I do a quick weapon swap, vaporize, then go back to my close range pistols. You can even perform your own Expose/Exploit in some lucky cases!

I am trying to remember if one of the MkII or MkIII disruptor pistols I had performed an exploit- I'd swear I set one of my Science officers up with an Exploit weapon to try that out, and it was a disruptor pistol of some sort.

To take down Swordmasters, I will use a Science Officer Gravimetric Shift to root them as an opener, which usually makes them draw dual energy pistols. Focus fire for the whole away team on them, and hit them hard. If they close in, use the melee attacks or pop off Sonic Pulse to keep knocking them down. (I am a Science Officer, so I run an offensive kit and set up my Science away team member with a high level tricorder to keep us alive.) For a Tac officer, you might have to use Focus Fire and leg sweeps on them. My Boff tac officer tosses grenades, which helps to knock them down too.

My first focus is always on any beast handler (Targ, etc.) since they just keep spawning more if they are alive. Second are any Swordmasters or Dahar Masters.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
If i recall correctly, the pistols that have the secondary attack as a single shot, heavy damage projectile do exploit... I havent run into any since beta though, so I cant say if they still do, or what they are called, but I did have one in beta that was an exploit shot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
No exploit AoE on pistols from memory, just Compression bolt, which is a single target. A few expose abilities though with dual pistols and wide beams. For exploit, everyone here is pretty much right. Use split beams, either the rifle version, or the autotargeting assault version.