Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazferiti
Well in all fairness, this game has more pressing issue than female miniskirts. I would rather them spend their time fixing bugs/lag/queue issues rather than working on miniskirts.
As I said I agree with this point in principle. But there was a time when Cryptic was able to give us skirts AND launch a game at the same time. They did it SIX YEARS ago with City Of Heroes so why weren't they able to do it now?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
YOU LIE!
That wasn't meant as a bash to the game, more of a fact that they need to fix bugs and that should take priority over everything else.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
They said it would be in this patch ? I didn't read that : do you have a quote or something ? I believe they said the miniskirts were worked on and would be in "soon".
No, actually they said they were part of the pre-order, AVAILABLE AT LAUNCH. How the **** do you offer an item as a pre-order bonus without having done internal testing prior to the launch date to ensure that the items work and are ready to go? How then does this somehow not work at launch and then take over a month to get in the game? You see where I'm going with this? These items were never ready or created to be available at launch which means Cryptic lied to their customers. Also, why did it take a forum threadnaught from the player base before Cryptic admitted that they weren't available? I would think they would know that the items didn't work in the launch build of the game and that a reputable company would announce that the items were not going to be available before being called out by your customer.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
One of the main reasons I chose to buy the D2D version of STO, was for the TOS uniforms which were supposedly included, because that's my favourite incarnation of Star Trek, so like many, I was disappointed when the BOs could not wear these, but I wasn't about to start wailing and moaning in sackcloth and ashes, since it is obvious that at some point they'd be sorted, and clearly this would be a priority, as people had paid for it, otherwise, Cryptic or at least D2D would be in breach of the contract if these items were not there eventually. But, here's the reason I am not ready to start storming STO's headquarters just yet...

We have to understand that skirts and dresses on 3D models are a tricky proposition when they are on a figure that could be pulling all kinds of fancy moves, which is not a problem with trousers, which can follow the leg movements of the character and are therefpore easier to animate correctly. I know this because I have to train Crime Scene Investigating Police Officers in the UK on how to make 3D models for simulating incidents amongst other things; and you thought CSI was all about wandering round moodily in the datrk with a flourescent maglite that can identify everything from blood spatters to breadcrumbs lol.

This 3D model issue is not something NPCs that merely walk around would have a problem with, but it certainly could be an issue on a 3D character that has to perform numerous backflips, roundhouse kicks and the like, and I suspect this explains the delay to female clothing on combat characters.

For an example of that problem, get yourself an entertainer in SWG and put a skirt or dress on them, then have them dance, and you will see massive bleedthrough and tearing problems on the graphics, which have the clothing disappear as the character's legs move about. Even after six years, SWG has not fixed this issue, which is understandable, because there are massive permutations on possible outfits, so if Cryptic need a couple of weeks to try and beat that problem on what are too quite a few outfit combinations, then I say give them that time, because if they nail it, I'll be impressed for sure.

If in six months' time I've not got my TOS uniforms, I'll be starting to think about asking for a refund, since what I've paid for has been misrepresented, but I'd rather wait and have them right, than get instant gratification with something that looks bad when my charaqcters are jumping about all over the place. If I'm correct about the reason for the delay, to me this indicative of Cryptic actually caring more about things than a lot of people generally give them credit for.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
That wasn't meant as a bash to the game, more of a fact that they need to fix bugs and that should take priority over everything else.
On the other hand MMOs are always fixing bugs. Always. That's basically a job that never ends. While fixing bugs is a priority it should be balanced by adding new content. If the Devs focus -all- of their attention on bugs then -no- new content would ever happen.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
We have to understand that skirts and dresses on 3D models are a tricky proposition when they are on a figure that could be pulling all kinds of fancy moves, which is not a problem with trousers, which can follow the leg movements of the character and are therefpore easier to animate correctly. I know this because I have to train Crime Scene Investigating Police Officers in the UK on how to make 3D models for simulating incidents amongst other things; and you thought CSI was all about wandering round moodily in the datrk with a flourescent maglite that can identify everything from blood spatters to breadcrumbs lol.

This #D model issue is not something NPCs that merely walk around would have a problem with, but it certainly could be an issue on a 3D character that has to perform numerous backflips, roundhouse kicks and the like, and I suspect this explains the delay to female clothing on combat characters.

For an example of that problem, get yourself an entertainer in SWG and put a skirt or dress on them, then have them dance, and you will see massive bleedthrough and tearing problems on the graphics, which have the clothing disappear as the character's legs move about. Even after six years, SWG has not fixed this issue, which is understandable, because there are massive permutations on possible outfits, so if Cryptic need a couple of weeks to try and beat that problem on what are too quite a few outfit combinations, then I say give them that time, because if they nail it, I'll be impressed for sure.

If in six months' time I've not got my TOS uniforms, I'll be starting to think about asking for a refund, since what I've paid for has been misrepresented, but I'd rather wait and have them right, than get instant gratification with something that looks bad when my charaqcters are jumping about all over the place. If I'm correct about the reason for the delay, to me this indicative of Cryptic actually caring more about things than a lot of people generally give them credit for.

Al
Once again I'll point out that Cryptic has been successfully providing skirt costume items for their other games for years now. I might be willing to cut them some "new development" slack if this was their first rodeo but there's really no excuse for them having to "test" skirts at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
You could be right, I don't know since I'm not privy to what actually goes on a t cryptic, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I paid for that stuff and bought a lifetime sub too, but I'm not quite ready to rage quit over what really isn't a very big deal in the grand scheme of things. It's not as if I can't play the game because of this, so I prefer to keep my anguish commensurate with the severity of the problem :-)

Al
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
You could be right, I don't know since I'm not privy to what actually goes on a t cryptic, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I paid for that stuff and bought a lifetime sub too, but I'm not quite ready to rage quit over what really isn't a very big deal in the grand scheme of things. It's not as if I can't play the game because of this, so I prefer to keep my anguish commensurate with the severity of the problem :-)

Al
I'm far from "rage quiting" over this. I'm simply disappointed because one of the things I used to consider Cryptic did exceptionally well was their costumes. It's simply sad that they fumbled something that was supposedly one of their MMO development strengths.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
I was joking. I agree with you.