Lt. Commander
# 1 Abilityflation.
02-11-2010, 09:18 AM
At this point, having just reached Commander, I have 15+ activated abilities. Thankfully, I have learned how to use the game's "macro" system, to bind multiple abilities to one button.

However, I can just see this getting worse and worse. I speculate that I'll have about 25+ abilities when I reach max level. This seems just plain silly.

I am not sure if this has been brought up a billion times already, but a simple solution is changing some abilities to be passive, or making a lower rank of an ability somehow obsolete when gaining the new one.

For example, I just acquired Torpedo: High Yield II, but rank I is still very useful, so it stays on my hotbar. I'd much rather have High Yield II just passively add another torp to the initial skill, or make rank I unusable. I'm already seeing this massive chain of ability activations, and it doesn't add to my gameplay experience.

I think the core gameplay of ship to ship combat is more about tactics and positioning... but its starting to become more about button mashing. I've tried to carefully time my abilities to the "opportune moment", and thus far, I get better results from simply using my "one hit wonder" keybind. It lets me concentrate more on actually flying my ship and managing my shields, rather than worry about which ability to use.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanlyManly View Post
At this point, having just reached Commander, I have 15+ activated abilities. Thankfully, I have learned how to use the game's "macro" system, to bind multiple abilities to one button.

However, I can just see this getting worse and worse. I speculate that I'll have about 25+ abilities when I reach max level. This seems just plain silly.

I am not sure if this has been brought up a billion times already, but a simple solution is changing some abilities to be passive, or making a lower rank of an ability somehow obsolete when gaining the new one.

For example, I just acquired Torpedo: High Yield II, but rank I is still very useful, so it stays on my hotbar. I'd much rather have High Yield II just passively add another torp to the initial skill, or make rank I unusable. I'm already seeing this massive chain of ability activations, and it doesn't add to my gameplay experience.

I think the core gameplay of ship to ship combat is more about tactics and positioning... but its starting to become more about button mashing. I've tried to carefully time my abilities to the "opportune moment", and thus far, I get better results from simply using my "one hit wonder" keybind. It lets me concentrate more on actually flying my ship and managing my shields, rather than worry about which ability to use.
To echo this...

Very well thought out post. I too would like to see CORE abilities such as "Torpedo High Yield" which is the one you put on the hot bar. Then when you train High yield 2, 3 and so on they buff the CORE ability and add animations/graphics to make it look more flashy. With the all ready cramped UI and tiny hot bar, it makes a lot of sense and thank you OP for brining it up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
This needs a bump. The ability bloat is pretty ugly. More options are good, but so is streamlining.