Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
For those of you still posting that the difficulty is too hard please help me understand where you're coming from. I see posts about group, about solo, and about ground, about deepspace encounters etc. This just makes no sense to me, there are times I walk away from my key board and come back and I've killed several objectives. And no I'm not trying to troll or flame you I'm dead serious. I turn on auto fire of two weapons drop speed and walk away just because I can. Sure it takes 5 times longer to kill something than if I'm behind the helm but I'm in no danger of dieing.

If if I'm providing absolutely no input into the game and come away with a win that doesn't even threaten my ships hull, on even level cons at all levels from 5-25 how is it that you are being challenged or dieing? Are you actively turning open shield facing toward your enemy? Are you leaving full power in engines? have you trained all ground and no space abilities? Seriously what is it that you're doing different.

There are reports of players removing their shield emitter entirely, and reports of players ranking up without spending ANY skill points, intentionally gimping themselves to make the game more challenging.

Now I am a gamer and I do enjoy PvP and yes I'm good at it. I'm not great and I'm not a hard core power gamer. Yes I recognize that there are some areas that have finally offered a challenge 29+ hirogen are fun to fight but they still haven't managed to drop a shield facing, Getting spawn camped in a deep space encounter forces me to flee and then return, but even in the act of flying away shields don't drop... I could probably stay and take the crowd it would just be tougher.

But when I can turn off my weapons and just fly circles for an hour and act as target practice with only the occasional use of a Boff power how can you possibly say the damage NPCs deal needs to be reduced. me being a target and not being capable of dieing is not an example of my uber skills or power gaming ways its an example of game play that is too easy.

I would be happy to group up with you in game or join you on a vent server and discuss why our gaming experiences are different. But please help me (and all of the rest of us on this side of the fence) understand why you are still saying the game is too easy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I dont get it either... I did most Lt. - LtC missions afk, without a full bridge crew and with stock weapons....I dont think I even died until like level 10.

One of my working theories is that noobs are using the wrong power settings. They start out on Defense or worse just leave it on so they dont do any damage and the fight goes on longer giving the attackers the upperhand and allowing them to whittle the people down. Or even worse they have it set to Speed which is a death sentence during actual combat.

The other thing is that some people dont get that maps are instanced. So they try and solo instead of waiting for more players or simply switching instances.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I kinda wonder that myself are people going from full impule to max speed setting? As for the solo group thing solo is actually easier. Are they in a group and then go do the mission solo before their group gets there?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I've got no other MMO experience to speak of, so maybe I just don't know what to do. I've got my power distribution set to defense and it's an enjoyable challenge. I've trained mostly space skills, but some ground skills as well. What do you have it set to that you didn't die until level 10?

I really enjoy STO and think the difficulty, at least for me, is right where it should be. If I want it easier, I go to a lower-level area like Sirius Sector. If I want it harder, I go to a higher level area. It's not exactly rocket science.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck13 View Post
I've got no other MMO experience to speak of, so maybe I just don't know what to do. I've got my power distribution set to defense and it's an enjoyable challenge. I've trained mostly space skills, but some ground skills as well. What do you have it set to that you didn't die until level 10?

I really enjoy STO and think the difficulty, at least for me, is right where it should be. If I want it easier, I go to a lower-level area like Sirius Sector. If I want it harder, I go to a higher level area. It's not exactly rocket science.
well, first of all, defense is that... 'defense'. I.E you don't die but you don't kill anything. Try balanced or even weapons setting.
Also, do you know if you click on the little ship with the 4 shield facings it'll redistribute the shields evenly, so if something is hitting you on the right and the shield is low, just click there and it'll fix it. Also, if you click on the little arrow on one shield facing, it will reinforce that shield?
Another thing, you can put 2 weapons on autofire (one front, one rear) by right clicking on each weapon. Do so.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck13 View Post

What the poster above me said. Other tip avoid regen sheilds and go with covarient (maybe resilient) then you can afford to put weapons at max shields at 50 or below. Shield power only effects shield regen not max strength. Personally I also set the shield rebalance key to "g" and I spam that along with my fire all weapons. try that.

And its not dieing until level 10 its not dieing until at least level 29. I mean sure I've died a few times due to being to clsoe to the warp core explosion of the klingon ultimate weapon. And I've died while afk in deepspace, and I die all the time in PvP, but if I'm at the helm in a normal mission? Not unless I fall asleep at the keyboard. Seriously try putting your weapons on auto and spam the rebalance shield key and do nothing else see what happens.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
I kinda wonder that myself are people going from full impule to max speed setting? As for the solo group thing solo is actually easier. Are they in a group and then go do the mission solo before their group gets there?
there are some early missions that are designed for teams. But since there are so many people doing them the system spawns a lot of single player instances... or people enter then leave and then someone else enters that instance. Maybe its change since Live bur i slept thru nearly all of Lt and most of Lt C.

I also know that the occasional person doesnt get that FLeet actions are group maps... or they log in dont see anyone and think they are alone

It wasnt until late commander that the game felt "normal"
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I knew the little arrows redistributed shields to a specific facing, but I didn't know about the even redistribution. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into it! Honestly though, I really am enjoying the game as I'm playing it now though, so I don't know that I'll change much.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
well, first of all, defense is that... 'defense'. I.E you don't die but you don't kill anything. Try balanced or even weapons setting.
Also, do you know if you click on the little ship with the 4 shield facings it'll redistribute the shields evenly, so if something is hitting you on the right and the shield is low, just click there and it'll fix it. Also, if you click on the little arrow on one shield facing, it will reinforce that shield?
Another thing, you can put 2 weapons on autofire (one front, one rear) by right clicking on each weapon. Do so.
my default is weapons... pew pew...mob dead. Only time i ever pop on defense is in PVP. If I ever died in the pre captain PVE it was usually because I had forgotten to change my setting from speed from the previous map after i was collecting loot and what not. So my advice to noobs is set it weapons and forget it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I've noticed some players sitting still in space and shooting. This does not work well after Lt. Comm, and gets worse the higher you go from there. The reason is that your ship turns much worse if you are stopped. This makes managing shield facings very difficult, and allows enemy ships to part in your already weakened shield arcs.

Get some speed up, and maneuver. Even a little can help.