Lt. Commander
So it had been a rough couple of missions for the senior staff of the USS Galway. On top of getting to know each other, they've been dealing with pirates, thugs, Daharan Sword Masters and bad tempered gorn throwing huge boulders their way.

Just as the weary Commanding Officer was ready to turn his ship towards Risa, we get orders to explore an uncharted section of the Arucanis Arm in the Regula Sector. Bracing himself and his crew for untold nastiness, Lt. Croft was surprised to discover a peaceful, placid world bathed in strange luminescent gaseous phenomena.

More importantly, his science officer informed him of a new discovery of plant life. What a relief! His crew enjoyed a welcome change of pace, and spent their time collecting samples of this flora that demonstrated a new adaptation to dry seasons.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Cryptic, you really have outdone yourself with these exploration missions. When I got this mission I can't tell you how much fun it was. There I was, finally, after 20 + years of watching Star Trek, sitting there with my tricorder exploring a world no one had seen before! An added bonus was the logical progression of the mission, and the explanation of why these plants were important. Your writers obviously did a bit of technical research to be able to provide this level of scientific complexity. Added to that was the richness of the environment. It made me soo very happy I had invested some additional resources into upgrading to a new video card.

I can only speak for myself, but I can't stress enough how much I would like to see MANY more missions like this one. THIS IS WHAT STAR TREK IS ABOUT TO ME!!

THANK YOU CRYPTIC STAFF. YOU HIT THE BULLSEYE WITH THIS MISSION.

I was so impressed with this mission, I was compelled to take a screen shot. This is my away team collecting flora samples on Planet X-061 W in the Arcanus Arm of the Regula Sector:

USS Galway Away Team Collecting Flora Samples
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, you'll end up having to do countless combat missions in the explore sectors before you run into another one of these actual exploration missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
And then, odds are, it will be the same one.

But...more's coming. Cryptic seems to recognize that Exploration needs love and lots of us will be spending tons of time doing these.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I also had the fun of running around looking at plants yesterday. I agree that this was a great mission and a lot of fun, buried as it was between two kill'em all missions against Klingons and Orions.
I wanted to pint out that the drawing of the Orions into this era of Trek is a welcome addition. We missed them in TNG and others and I am also glad to see that the Enterprise Orions are being kept consistant. Big and stupid., By the way, knocking an Orion Slave girl on her butt is a little embarrasing.
There is one thing, though. Is there a way that a completed scanning can be marked ont he map? I realize this is a nit to pick, but it was frustrating running past the same coccooned plant 6 times because my mini-map was a bit vague on uneven terrain. It looked like an abstract painting with an arrow on it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I really enjoyed this gem as well. It reminded me of a Sim Earth game a friend and I played where we were able to make carniferns sentient.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
um whats so good about a variation of... run around. press F. dialogue pop up. repeat 5 times.

no one else seems to realise your post is completely sarcastic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
um whats so good about a variation of... run around. press F. dialogue pop up. repeat 5 times.

Perhaps because some of us actually enjoy these over another kill x number of squads or ships with a pop-up after each to tells us again that we need to kill more ships because someone things we're too stupid to figure that out by the objectives window. If we wanted to go kill x squads/ships, that's what the DSEs and Fleet actions are for.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
If we wanted to go kill x squads/ships, that's what the DSEs and Fleet actions are for.
Totally agree. The explorer mission is loads of fun and I do a few to get samples and get badges for green weapons.

There should be more exploring in them and the occassional battle. After all, even in unexplored space you may run into the orions or the other warring faction.

It only seems logical to hide where StarFleet hasn't bothered to look yet.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post

You might be projecting your own motivations onto my post. To clarify, I was sincere in my praise of the mission. I don't mind a little running around and exploring an environment. Makes the game feel more immersive to me. What I was getting the most enjoyment out of was the technical writing for the mission, and how beautiful the particular combination of procedurally generated content was.

I find combat in STO fun (and complicated, not used to piloting the ship in three dimensions yet). The purpose of my post was to convey how much MORE fun I had in the exploration mission.
Lt. Commander
I like the exploration missions that i have seen sofar. I think would be good to find animals and colonist that move too. Could use some graphic effects that make insects flying or lizzard, worms, mice crawlling in the distance. Don't have to be 3d objects. Could use some NPCs to talk to or scan. Maybe a city instead of a single house or village.