Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 91
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Not going to repeat everything that has been said, but yes I find the game ridiculously easy as well. So far I have not felt challenged beyond flying into the deep space encounters and fighting the 8+ enemies groups.

Ground combat is even easier then space so that needs some tweaking too.

I have only reached Cmdr 5 so I suppose it could get much harder, but I am doubting that.

At this point all the arguing about death penalties is really for naught, if you can't die doesn't matter if its implemented or not.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 92
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterThoughts
Not going to repeat everything that has been said, but yes I find the game ridiculously easy as well. So far I have not felt challenged beyond flying into the deep space encounters and fighting the 8+ enemies groups.

Ground combat is even easier then space so that needs some tweaking too.

I have only reached Cmdr 5 so I suppose it could get much harder, but I am doubting that.

At this point all the arguing about death penalties is really for naught, if you can't die doesn't matter if its implemented or not.

Cheers

sorry to disappoint you...but will not get harder until Admiral 5
Lt. Commander
# 93
02-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpunk View Post
Here's my next question, What proof do you have that the down arrow means they are weaker. It's not in the manual on the site and I find no reference to it on the forums. This another one of those made up things by you.
Hold your cursor over one next time.. read the little pop-up. It's not really that hard.

Are you actually going to argue against what the HUD icons mean? I know you probably didn't know about it and were surprised that people can see it on your vids but... come on... you're actually going to play dumb about it?

Quote:
Also btw congratulations on being found out as a troll in the other thread, Bravo !
Odd... based on the number of your posts edited by Cryptic... you've got some nerve to call others a troll.
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Cryptic basically has 3 types of enemy-encounters for a solo player, with only very few exceptions (like fighter-groups):

3 little "1 stripe" ships
1 "2 stripe" ship
1 [3 stripe but 'unusually weak]" ship (Battleship)

All 3 encounters are about the same difficulty, in theory anyway. They do about the same DPS and have about the same HP. In reality the 3 little ships are easier as you can reduce the DPS by 1/3 by taking out one of the ships quickly, or they might not be in combat range at the same time, or they hit different shield-facings, etc - while the other two encounters bring their full DPS to bare on you till they pop.

The 3 stripe and some 2 stripe ships also sometimes use BO-abilities. The effectiveness of that depends mostly on the race.
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
I've noticed some players sitting still in space and shooting. This does not work well after Lt. Comm, and gets worse the higher you go from there. The reason is that your ship turns much worse if you are stopped. This makes managing shield facings very difficult, and allows enemy ships to part in your already weakened shield arcs.

Get some speed up, and maneuver. Even a little can help.
The ship Turret strategy works perfectly fine, by the time the enemy gets to me ive killed him and his 3 friends. Sitting still if anything proves even more so how easy this game is. If i can just park my ship, turtle up at 100% power and kill everything without moving an inch and being under no threat, somethings wrong.

Not wasting time doing silly things like maneurevring. Just yawn pew pew ,move to group b, then c, then d, than e, end of mission. 5 minutes from beginnng to end. Instead of dancing with them which takes longer, slower and more work.
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-16-2010, 05:52 AM
I find the difficulty to be just perfect now.
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-16-2010, 07:21 AM
So I've been testing this a bit more and I've found some things out and I'm going to qualify my statements.

There are several different versions of difficulty:
Solo missions too easy can AFK up till somewhere between 18-22 very few Boff powers needed till 30ish
Grouped missions with 2-4 players easy but fun actually need to use most skill could prolly afk with a good group but not fair.
Grouped missions with 5 players a little tough. If you run off on your own you'll likely die
Deepsapce encounters easy from 1-15 moderate from 15-30 just right at 30+
Deepspace boss mobs without a group Very hard.

So now I'm wondering are all of us claiming the game is too easy only doing the missions solo and avoiding deepsapce and groups?

For those claiming too hard are you only doing deep space or always in a full group?
Lt. Commander
# 98
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
So I've been testing this a bit more and I've found some things out and I'm going to qualify my statements.

There are several different versions of difficulty:
Solo missions too easy can AFK up till somewhere between 18-22 very few Boff powers needed till 30ish
Grouped missions with 2-4 players easy but fun actually need to use most skill could prolly afk with a good group but not fair.
Grouped missions with 5 players a little tough. If you run off on your own you'll likely die
Deepsapce encounters easy from 1-15 moderate from 15-30 just right at 30+
Deepspace boss mobs without a group Very hard.

So now I'm wondering are all of us claiming the game is too easy only doing the missions solo and avoiding deepsapce and groups?

For those claiming too hard are you only doing deep space or always in a full group?
I do believe that some people who have a little bit of difficulty early get into a group spiral. By that I mean that because they had a bit of trouble or maybe they were in a group of 2 or 3 and it wasn't easy, and thus they start making sure they're grouped or in even larger groups. However, given the group difficulty mechanism which I believe is good, but not properly explained, they end up making it as hard as it can be. And, while it's still not all that difficult, with any bad strategy (the other common problem) they have problems.

Deepspace encounters are all over the difficulty range. Mobs spawn based on who is/was in the instance and then stay when players jump out which happens a lot. I've had from +9 to -24 enemies in the same instance. So anyone defining hard vs. easy based on those is fighting a losing battle.
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
Any mob that is "UNUSUALLY WEAKER" than you should die pretty damm easy. It is marked as being weak. You beat a weak opponent. Congratulations.
I have only seen this icon on battleship class enemies when I am solo. I have noticed that such battleships blow up a lot easier than the same class of ship does in deep space encounters or when I group. My take? "Normal" difficulty battleships are supposed to be a challenge for more than one player ship. If that is true, then the weak battleship is designed to be an appropriate challenge for a solo player. Again if so, it was not much of a challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Well apparently those wanting more difficulty got their wish, because the game is noticably harder today than it was a couple days ago. Before, I could plow through the three tier 1 enemies without flinching, now they can nearly take down my shields before I can kill even one of them. I can still take them out without dying, but I'm usually at 80% hull when I do unless I use Engineering Team.

The Past Imperfect mission was actually pretty damn hard, having to plow through multiple tier 2 ships and even a tier 3 ship, and it was no easy task.

If you could AFK before (which I still doubt), you definitely can't now. I'm Lt. Cmdr. 5 and even the groups of three tier 1 enemies can hurt me if I'm not paying attention enough to my shields and balancing them constantly.