Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Space combat: Definitely isn't too hard. And personally, I think a difficulty slider would be a great idea. In general, I think the default setting should be more difficult. The only times I die in space combat is when I've: a) foolishly aggro'd an entire squadron - did that multiple times testing out my new Tyken's Rift skill - for some reason that one really makes 'em mad. ; b) deep space encounters where you warp in and you're in the middle of an enemy fleet - and I've stayed in place for a couple of those and actually won; and lastly, c) just plain stupidity - during a fleet action full impulsing to where other members were fighting and not noticing I flew within weapons range of another entire group - 8 bad guys can take ya down in a hurry.

Ground combat is not too hard either; but with two exceptions. As a science officer I have a bunch of abilities that affect multiple enemy targets. When 4-6 guys are all firing at you, your personal shields turn to vapor pretty darn quick. Some combats are actually easier by NOT using a lot of my abilities. That kinda sucks in a way, but it certainly doesn't constitute making the combat too hard, if I can simply change my tactics. For instance, stop opening a fight with Tachyon Harmonic - it's not always a good idea. Though I did have what I consider a bugged encounter with a Dohan (Dohar) Master who pretty much one-shotted me from full to incapicated, and tore through my entire away team many, many times until I gave up after using all my consumables. But again, none of this makes combat itself too hard.

Generally, I think that in order to present us with a lot of combat scenarios that the ai enemy's are seriously outclassed by us at the same rank. After all, has anyone lost a 1 v. 1 combat?? But overall, I think they've gone too far. I certainly don't want to see every 1 vs 1 space encounter turn into a 30 minute, drawn out, drag-me-down-kicking-and-screaming, or winning by the skin of my teeth encounter either. That's where the difficulty slider could come in... hope to see it soon.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I use 75/50/25/50 power settings, and if I went AFK during an encounter, I would die, and I have the best gear available to me at my level. This tells me that people claiming to AFK win are lying. Even if you find it easy, don't exaggerate and make claims that aren't possible. I still have to try during most encounters. For the groups of three or the mobs of little ships you still have to at least target the next ships, and those are the only ones that can be killed with phasers on auto-fire along. Higher tier ships can't be killed like that, no way no how. They do eventually eat through your shields if you're sitting there doing nothing. I've had to rotate my shields several times when fighting tier 2 and especially tier 3 ships. So no, I can not and will not believe that anyone is AFK winning these battles. I know for a fact that it's not possible, otherwise I could do it as well. After all, if you can AFK win, that implies that zero skill is needed, so a person couldn't possibly get it wrong. This simply isn't the case. There is nothing anyone can say to make me believe such garbage.

Right now, the difficulty during normal missions is just right, maybe a little on the easy side but that's better than it being too hard. DSEs, well, those "flagship groups" are way over the top and impossible to kill without dying multiple times in the process, and dying is something I try to avoid. If I have no chance of winning the battle without dying no matter what I do (as is the case with those "flagship groups"), I consider it "too hard".
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGoddessLindsey View Post
I use 75/50/25/50 power settings, and if I went AFK during an encounter, I would die, and I have the best gear available to me at my level. This tells me that people claiming to AFK win are lying. Even if you find it easy, don't exaggerate and make claims that aren't possible. I still have to try during most encounters. For the groups of three or the mobs of little ships you still have to at least target the next ships, and those are the only ones that can be killed with phasers on auto-fire along. Higher tier ships can't be killed like that, no way no how. They do eventually eat through your shields if you're sitting there doing nothing. I've had to rotate my shields several times when fighting tier 2 and especially tier 3 ships. So no, I can not and will not believe that anyone is AFK winning these battles. I know for a fact that it's not possible, otherwise I could do it as well. After all, if you can AFK win, that implies that zero skill is needed, so a person couldn't possibly get it wrong. This simply isn't the case. There is nothing anyone can say to make me believe such garbage.

Right now, the difficulty during normal missions is just right, maybe a little on the easy side but that's better than it being too hard. DSEs, well, those "flagship groups" are way over the top and impossible to kill without dying multiple times in the process, and dying is something I try to avoid. If I have no chance of winning the battle without dying no matter what I do (as is the case with those "flagship groups"), I consider it "too hard".
Oh lord not the lieing thing again with you didn't I address that pretty solidly here?
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...t=88275&page=5
you little lady are starting to annoy me, this has been a pretty civil discussion so far why must you go in claiming people are lieing?
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotti
My general theory is some guy joins a party. Guy forgets to leave a party. Partymembers afk somewhere. oh I have to rescue ss azura OHWHATTHE 1 battleship 7 corvettes. *kills them after 20 deaths* OH WHATTHE REINFORCEMENTS ANOTHER 1 battleship 7 corvettes. *kills them after 20 deaths* OH WHATTHE REINFORCEMENTS ANOTHER 1 battleship 7 corvettes.

I made a new character and some newbie and his friend added me to party just to chat over partychat, they went were doing different things (one doing delta volanis, one doing ss azura) and were both getting wtfpwned while having no idea of why there's so many npc ships.

Oh and that is a real example. Normal azura solo spawns what, 3 orion corvettes? Do it in a party of 3, 6-7 orion corvettes + 1 battleship, and then 2 same wave of reinforcements warp on when you kill the first group.
I agree with this I actually reported this as a bug in beta. You'd spawn with a group they'd drop go afk what have you and the difficulty wouldn't reset. Now people use this bug as an in game difficulty slider. Group up with people and then all run your own separate instance just to make it intentionally harder.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
Oh lord not the lieing thing again with you didn't I address that pretty solidly here?
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...t=88275&page=5
you little lady are starting to annoy me, this has been a pretty civil discussion so far why must you go in claiming people are lieing?
Because I've played enough of the game to know you can't just AFK win. I know that to be absolute fact. So people claiming otherwise are lying. Nothing more to it.

If you could AFK win, there would be no skill whatsoever needed, so you can't say I'm doing something wrong. If it's that easy, it should be impossible for me to do anything wrong. Yet I still have to try on second and third tier ships. First tier, yeah, they're easy peasy, as they should be since they're the cannon fodder. But second tier and third tier ships can't be beaten that easily. I have to use BO abilities, I have to rotate my shields, and I have to use torpedoes and maneuver around. If I went AFK on those, I'd be dead in a couple minutes and the enemy would have taken very little damage.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Because I've played enough of the game to know you can't just AFK win. I know that to be absolute fact. So people claiming otherwise are lying. Nothing more to it.

If you could AFK win, there would be no skill whatsoever needed, so you can't say I'm doing something wrong. If it's that easy, it should be impossible for me to do anything wrong. Yet I still have to try on second and third tier ships. First tier, yeah, they're easy peasy, as they should be since they're the cannon fodder. But second tier and third tier ships can't be beaten that easily. I have to use BO abilities, I have to rotate my shields, and I have to use torpedoes and maneuver around. If I went AFK on those, I'd be dead in a couple minutes and the enemy would have taken very little damage.
Your gonna force me to do it, And I don't want to but you are.

Saturday afternoon I'm gonna take out a cruiser and set up the auto fire and record a video of me winning AFK.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Rather than calling someone a liar, why not invite them to prove it via video. Even a casual viewer should be able to tell that a ship is: a) travelling in a straight line; b) not using BOff abilities; and c) firing only one fore and aft weapon.

I've seen videos from Acidpunk demonstrating his facility with AI ship demolition, and some videos on Youtube by others with varying degrees of skill, but no afk combat vids yet. I'd like to see it. But hey, there have been people making claims that others found hard to swallow in games long before STO came out.

No video? It didn't happen. If they can prove it, all well and good for them. If not, then you've made your point without confrontation, which will only improve your credibility.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpunk View Post
Your gonna force me to do it, And I don't want to but you are.

Saturday afternoon I'm gonna take out a cruiser and set up the auto fire and record a video of me winning AFK.
Ha, ha ha! Guess you were posting while I was typing.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpunk View Post
Hey I got something for you : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V477W7QfqeA

watch that
What's this suppose to prove? You see the down arrow on the target indicator? It means it is an unusually WEAK opponent.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlyng
Ha, ha ha! Guess you were posting while I was typing.
Yeah I guess so, I'll take the Galaxy and set it up so it auto targets and then go do some afk combat lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
What's this suppose to prove? You see the down arrow on the target indicator? It means it is an unusually WEAK opponent.
It was the first enemy I could find and it wasn't weak it was a End Episode boss who was a 0 to me so that's not like he was a -

The point was to show how weak Warbirds are, One strafe run is ridiculous