Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I havn't done PVP yet, one day I will, here's the problem, it dosen't sound terribly good. If a thing has nothing good said about it it's hard to believe otherwise

I havn't played Eve (brother has, Goon Fleet) and having star empires is FUN damn it. The Trek Universe is full of room for little empires, diplomacy is intrigal to the universe. Differnet races and peoples side with or against the Feds, Klingons et al...

There's a LOT of room on that paper map I got in the box.

I don't have permisson to fly to Kilingon Space so there's a mechanic for keeping me out of places I should not go yet.

PVP in little set pieces is so very WOW like and who wnats this to be WOW in space?

If PVP is to be like this forever then it wont grow. Wow does not grow its player base on its Battlefileds. Space empires grow, Eve grows for the Drama that comes from those space empires rubbing up against each other.

It also makes other aspects grow, economy, ship design...player numbers....

Can we please get REAL PVP and not sandbox shoot em ups attached to what seems more a single player game?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabitldr View Post
I havn't done PVP yet, one day I will, here's the problem, it dosen't sound terribly good. If a thing has nothing good said about it it's hard to believe otherwise

I havn't played Eve (brother has, Goon Fleet) and having star empires is FUN damn it. The Trek Universe is full of room for little empires, diplomacy is intrigal to the universe. Differnet races and peoples side with or against the Feds, Klingons et al...

There's a LOT of room on that paper map I got in the box.

I don't have permisson to fly to Kilingon Space so there's a mechanic for keeping me out of places I should not go yet.

PVP in little set pieces is so very WOW like and who wnats this to be WOW in space?

If PVP is to be like this forever then it wont grow. Wow does not grow its player base on its Battlefileds. Space empires grow, Eve grows for the Drama that comes from those space empires rubbing up against each other.

It also makes other aspects grow, economy, ship design...player numbers....

Can we please get REAL PVP and not sandbox shoot em ups attached to what seems more a single player game?
If you haven't tried PVP why on earth would you automatically complain about it? It is good. No you can't fly into the Klingon Space and slaughter low level players. You use the Queue system and then use those maps. The first tier is not that great because everyone is learning how it works but after that it is fun. I am sure that as the game evolves they may add new aspects to PVP. At the moment PVP is the only thing I really enjoy. Playing Fed doesn't really feel like Star Trek to me. They are essentially the Antagonists in this world. Shoot first ask questions afterward. Massacring an already endangered species of Humanoids etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not making a complaint, an observation of what I can see from here so far

This game has complaints about it and good stuff said too but most of what I see here seems to infer the PVP aspect could be better.

Having listened to my brother waffle on about Eve I was looking forward tio playing here inside the ST universe with what I had hoped might be the same kind of mechanic. Yes it might be called a close but its the Universe of ST that makes it what it is and part of that Universe is the politcs.

Years of Eve has bought a level of PVP for players in a space sim to a certain level. Eve dosen't have the background of ST. if you combined th ability to carve out your own space with the ST universe the potential is enoumouse.

More people would play of this I'm pretty damn certain. If Cryptic put in the type of play we see in Eve with Empire Space amd PVP space this game COULD blow Eve out of the water.

Do the programers and owners wish to make bags and bags of money?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 05:57 AM
The pvp is fun, a lot of fun.... but

it is meaningless, and has no longevity. Even super awesome fun gets super awesome tedious without some incentive/reason to keep doing it.

By meaningless I mean it has no fluff - not pvp rating, titles, improved loot for winning etc etc, hell it doesn't even matter who wins the fight the only people you're really competing against are your own side for the highest damage/hull healing, as that's what determines the marks/xp/credits you get.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 06:10 AM
An active universe that players can activly participate in a PVP enviroment over sandbox PVP avoids this.

It might be a lot of work I don't know how it would go with the programing but I do know it would enhance the game by a number of factors as well as the player base.

If you want to go ratting in Eve you stay in Empire space and have fun, if you want to make an Empire you head to PVP space.

In this just looking at the paper map there are FIVE Empire spaces and a huge area for player Empires all fighting each other and joining the other five empires in a hodge podge of intergalactic rivalry!