Career Officer
# 11
06-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
I ran the race four times and got no rewards at all. There was never a way to interact with the finish flag. Of course, the people with superior boards always pull far ahead of the pack, so I don't expect to win or even place. But no reward at all, eh? Just a big FU.
Weird. As long as you finish the race you get 2 tags and 5 favors. Unless there's some weird limit to the number of times the Finish flag can be grabbed.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lieutenant
# 12
06-05-2014, 11:44 PM
A friend of mine has the same problem. He finished second and couldn't grab that flag or any of the others. This has happened every time he's raced. He is pissed.

And as to the pay to win complaint, I've beaten enhanced boards while riding a rental. One time I finished first against a standard board (and a third guy who has no board...that was weird) and another I came in second against a well-populated race of standard and enhanced boards. In other races I didn't place but still came out in front of the pack of "I bought a shiny board and don't know how to race" types.

A board helps. Skill helps more.
Admiral Ryvaken, USS Arthra (NCC-947749), Aventine class.
As the seventy-fourth Rule of Acquisition clearly states, knowledge equals profit. And I am a very rich Ferengi.
Rihannsu
# 13
06-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
Even at a fairly casual pace you can get the fastest board in a a few days, and in a couple weeks a lot less people will be doing it, just like the winter version, and you'll be able to easily get the accolades. It's June 5th, you have until July 17th to do everything.

But its easier to freak out and go straight to maximum hyperbole on the forums then have a modicum of patience or common sense.
Common sense tells you to grind for hours just to be competitive in a time-gated event, which in itself is actually yet another grind?

Why not post a huge sign "NO FUN ALLOWED" while at it?
Captain
# 14
06-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Hey, OP?
Here's a thought - Don't do the Event.
Here's another - Stop telling the rest us about it when you don't like something in STO.
Last thought - Go play something other than STO if it hurts so badly you cannot stop yourself from crying out in public.
Rihannsu
# 15
06-06-2014, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
Stop posting feedback in a Feedback section of the forums!
Sure thing kid.
Career Officer
# 16
06-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
Common sense tells you to grind for hours just to be competitive in a time-gated event, which in itself is actually yet another grind?

Why not post a huge sign "NO FUN ALLOWED" while at it?
It's not a grind unless you want it to be one.

Favors? Only usable to purchase items that are only usable on Risa.
Powerboards? Not essential to anything.

Competition? It's just a bit of fun. I've run it a few times, on a rental board. Haven't won yet. Doesn't matter - it's just a bit of fun.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 17
06-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Maybe more of us should check to make sure our Man Card is all up to date before posting as well.

Kidding aside, if someone has a solution to an alleged problem they should post this as well, along with their complaint. When I was on a game dev team, I learned quickly some people will always complain to complain. No matter what we did, they'd just proceed to complain about something else. All while offering no solution to the alleged problem. The complainers seemed to be drawn to a Feedback Section like moths to a flame. It also seemed they couldn't stop themselves. They were helplessly compelled to dislike something somewhere and they had to do so in public.

After awhile, when we clocked in and it was our turn to check the forums(or, as we so lovingly referred to it 'Our Day In The Barrel' - lol), we stopped looking for posters and words on a list we complied. We were not going to make them happy anyway so there was no point at all in trying.

OTOH, if someone had a solution and posted this as well, we would look at it. And we'd stay late to do so if it was good enough.
Rihannsu
# 18
06-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
It's not a grind unless you want it to be one.

Favors? Only usable to purchase items that are only usable on Risa.
Powerboards? Not essential to anything.

Competition? It's just a bit of fun. I've run it a few times, on a rental board. Haven't won yet. Doesn't matter - it's just a bit of fun.
It is a grind. It's just a matter of whether one wants to participate in it or not.

There are things you can buy with Favors that are useable outside of Risa, like the new Duty Officers or last year's Outfits.

Powerboards - with this P2W approach - are essential to remaining competitive in a PVP race. As I've said - unless players on Superior Powerboards don't know what they're doing or leave the track, you've got little to no chance of winning on a lesser powerboard.

And if you want to breed the new Feather Monkey pets you've got to grind the race, yet you only get two tags if you lose.

So in the end Cryptic expects players to grind 1000 Favors to buy a an expensive Superior Powerboard that will keep them competitive in a time-gated event necessary to obtain a new acco/title/non-combat pet.

Whether it's all necessary/useful is all up to an individual. As I've said in the first post - the race is actually FUN and well thought out, but Cryptic ruined it with the "P2W" aspect, making everyone with no time/money/will to get a Superior Board basically handicapped. With poor rewards at the end and no distinction between players, it's really discouraging. I don't mind losing as long as I believe everyone have the same chances of winning. If that was the case I would gladly "grind" this event "for fun".

EDIT
@thunderfoot006
We're not the devs. It's the devs who know better how to change things they've made. Most of the time players' suggestions are simply impossible to incorporate into the game. What is more - the fact that we dislike something is feedback as well, as long as arguments are presented as to WHY we dislike it. Even if you don't expect this particular issue to be fixed, it can be important when it comes to future content. Why do you think the Event ships now cost 40 Pearls on alt characters if you've already unlocked them? That's because of the Anniversary Grind that people were unhappy with. There were suggestions and complaints posted, but Cryptic couldn't and wouldn't do anything back then, yet now we see that they've taken players' complaints into consideration.

I don't know what could be done to fix the PvP race that woudn't involve nerfing the boards players already bought. Let's be realistic - such thing will never happen post fact. So aside of buffing the overall rewards for all participants (let's say, minimum 3 Tags for everyone) and hoping Cryptic won't make such a mistake again there's not much to say - thus the complaint.

Last edited by suaveks; 06-06-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
06-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Don't forge the click to win as well.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-06-2014, 05:05 AM
First race jumped the start and got a DQ
Second race crossed the finish line in second but missed the flag and got DQ for leaving course while turning around,
Third race was way behind, but got 3rd thanks to everybody else missing the flag
Fourth race placed nowhere but I at least finished the race without a DQ

Those were run on rentals across three of my alts, now do those results bother me, not in the slightest as I'm doing it for fun, couldn't care less about the accolades as I don't actively collect them, if I get them then fair enough but if I don't then meh who cares.

I also now that as long as I finish three races I'll have enough tags to start on the monkeys, so it's not like you have too win the race.