Lt. Commander
As a long time CoH/CoV player, and a long time MMO player I looked forward to this game-well to be honest, since before computer games were invented.

I remember watching the original Star Trek on Television after school and thinking how great it would be to be a starship captain and explore Space.

For over 40 years, I watched and enjoyed (for the most part) the different Treks, Deep Space, the movies, even the "not so good" series...because I really loved the concept and the positive message that Mr. Roddenberry included in the books and series.

A few months ago, I purchased Champions Online-mostly to get the chance to Beta test this game.

What I discovered, to my chagrin, is that STO and Champions Online are very similar in some good and some bad ways.

Perhaps, its an age thing, perhaps after playing deep games like Lotro and Eve, or perhaps I have become jaded to some degree...but this game JUST ISN"T THE GAME I was praying for.

I will admit, for the first few days, the iconic music and the sounds gave me pleasure, heck I even got goosebumps when I first got my ship..but the newness and "shiny" didn't last very long.

The ground combat is frankly, a joke...although having a built in team is interesting. But the lack of any REAL exploration, and the fact that 90% of the time you are soloing the same caverns/bases/outside areas/ancient artifacts/etc....causes me to ask-"wheres the beef?"

Space combat is fun, very similar to Homeworld in its pace and excitement...but again without real classes and teaming, I found it becoming rather boring. Go to this system...check out the asteroid base...destroy the well seperated enemy groups-usually 3-5 per group....rinse repeat....endlessly. I tried all 3 classes of ships, and each is different in many ways, but until the game calls for teams of ship combinations...I cant see how combat will improve.

I kept waiting for more.

I got to level 31 and the last 5 or so levels were so boring, I actually found myself afk while zoning from one galaxy sector to another.

I am sure, there have literally been hundreds of these threads-both in support of the game and the many threads that are critical of the game.

I hope this game developers DONT repeat what they are doing with Champions Online-or this game will be doomed to be "an also ran". I pray they actually read, and take to heart the creative criticism of Star Trek's most ardent and loyal fans.

To many of us-this was a dream come true.

Albeit, in my case at least-a disappointing one.

Perhaps, with more (and I mean MUCH MORE) content and the ability to REALLY explore planets, and the addition of a solid endgame this game will evolve into something more than it is at this moment.

I will look in after a few months, perhaps.

To those of you who love the game-I congratulate you and say:

Live Long and Prosper!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I feel your pain, I also wished for something different. But we won't have another Startrek MMO before a long time so I'll stick with Cryptic and hope they'll improve it. Check back in a few months, dude, maybe you'll like it more then.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Well, i thought i'd her whining in this thread, but the OP explained the situation very clearly. All these issues are there. OP, i am sorry for you that these issues ruined the game to you. I have been having some difficulty not allowing them to ruin it for me, and am trying hard to have fun. But alas, not many people are as patient as i am

Here's to a better tomorrow for STO!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Game has a better chance at getting better if more ppl stay, if everyone were to quit today to "check back" in a few mo's they would find nothing improved, would be a dead game. Has to be a reason for them to keep working on it. Sadly that reason is always $.
I let my **** acct charge me for 2 mo's that I didnt really play, just so I would know I was doing my part to help fix it. But I wanna play this now so I cancelled it ><
Just sayin, I want this game to get better and I am willing to support it. Well I already paid for life sub, so maybe I don't count anymore ><
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I feel the same way. But I also feel that Cryptic's forward-going plans will lead to an experience that is way more true to the Trek IP than what is currently presented.

Now that the core game is live, It is realistic to expect the addition of all sorts of optional gameplay styles that are rooted in the Star Trek IP and don't require just killing and blowing up stuff.

I want to feel like I am experiencing Star Trek, not just playing a game with the name slapped on it. The core game as it is delivers the kill everything that moves experience for those who don't really have an interest in Star Trek, but are looking for just a new action-packed MMO. But those of us who are Star Trek fans first and foremost are as valid a demographic to design content for. And we don't require new mechanics to be implemented. Just the nature and the flavor of the missions we do. Yes, I would expect some of those "trekkie" missions to involve space battles and ground-based phaser fights. But the majority of them need to be a lot more interactive and a lot less reactive.

Of course, to keep the "I don't want to have to think, I just want to be entertained" crowd happy, more of the same kill loot rinse and repeat stuff should also be forthcoming. I don't want to see anyone driven away. But the shallow nature of the game as it is now is already driving away Star Trek fans who appreciate things that have both depth and entertainment value.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineWolfe
Game has a better chance at getting better if more ppl stay, if everyone were to quit today to "check back" in a few mo's they would find nothing improved, would be a dead game. Has to be a reason for them to keep working on it. Sadly that reason is always $.
I let my **** acct charge me for 2 mo's that I didnt really play, just so I would know I was doing my part to help fix it. But I wanna play this now so I cancelled it ><
Just sayin, I want this game to get better and I am willing to support it. Well I already paid for life sub, so maybe I don't count anymore ><
There's always the C-Store.