Lt. Commander
I originally posted this in another thread, but it was rather off-topic in a troll thread so I just wanted to seperate it off for further ideas and discussion.

Instead of having the high level group content named Raidisodes why not find a more canonical name for them?

My idea is to name them Special Operations.

• It fits with the military structure of Starfleet
  • It implies that this is dangerous and very hard to do
  • It goes along with the fleet concept as there are special ops groups. Your fleet name is just a codename for your spec ops force
  • It implies that this isn't for the normal (non-player) captain and needs a special touch
  • It also shows how important to the war the mission is

Any other ideas? We can't go around calling them Raidisodes the rest of the game. It just sounds rather silly and invokes the wrong kind of imagry from other games.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
Instead of having the high level group content named Raidisodes why not find a more canonical name for them?

My idea is to name them Special Operations.

• It fits with the military structure of Starfleet
  • It implies that this is dangerous and very hard to do
  • It goes along with the fleet concept as there are special ops groups. Your fleet name is just a codename for your spec ops force
  • It implies that this isn't for the normal (non-player) captain and needs a special touch
  • It also shows how important to the war the mission is

Any other ideas? We can't go around calling them Raidisodes the rest of the game. It just sounds rather silly and invokes the wrong kind of imagry from other games.
Also from the other thread...

This is interesting. I don't know my naval terms I'm afraid. What's smaller than a fleet? Special Battlegroup Operations maybe?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I think Raidisodes is fine, stop being so pedantic. I mean really, why do you guys even care?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
It sounds silly.

Admiral Quinn: "Captain, I need your help! The Borg Queen is back and I need you to take a fleet of the best captains you can find and take her out. This is a raidisode so information is on a strictly need to know basis. No one but your bridge crew and important personelle are to know about it. I'm sorry to send you on such a dangerous raidisode, but we need you now."

Captain: "Raidisode? Is that some kind of episode with radiation sickness?"

Quinn: "No, well... it does sound like that.... shut up and go do it. We couldn't think of anything better."

Captain: "Fine, but I get the purples"
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
It sounds silly.

Admiral Quinn: "Captain, I need your help! The Borg Queen is back and I need you to take a fleet of the best captains you can find and take her out. This is a raidisode so information is on a strictly need to know basis. No one but your bridge crew and important personelle are to know about it. I'm sorry to send you on such a dangerous raidisode, but we need you now."

Captain: "Raidisode? Is that some kind of episode with radiation sickness?"

Quinn: "No, well... it does sound like that.... shut up and go do it. We couldn't think of anything better."

Captain: "Fine, but I get the purples"
I doubt they're called raidisodes IN GAME, they are called missions, and the missions are named after what ever that raidisode is about.

Raidisode is just what the devs call them, and the way they talk about them.

Again why do you care?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I vote for calling the ground missions Away Team Parties. Because it sounds like they'll have fun doing them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster
Again why do you care?
It just is something that could be made better. It's nothing malicious. Raidisode isn't even a horrible name from a dev standpoint, it just doesn't sound RIGHT.

What do you think would get more peoples attention?

Raidisode? or Special Operation?

I mean, one is just gamer gibberish that you have to know MMOs and currently play STO to even understand.

Most people already know what a Special Operation is. It's context is much greater than MMOspeak.

And why do you care that we care?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
If you want to get a warm and fuzzy about calling things a certain name call it a task force. This works for both ships and people.

And raidisode is a dev thing not what and admiral would call it.

A raid is defined : A raid (also called depredation) is a military tactic or operational warfare mission which requires the execution of a plan where surprise is the principal desired outcome of the attack.
So apparently all the MMOs have it wrong. You don't need a large group of people to fit the definition of a raid. Maybe STO is fixing it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
The name "raidisode" was created by Gozer. I like this guy very much so I'd rather keep "raidisode".
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd240 View Post
call it a task force
That's a good idea too.
  • Military context
  • difficulty implied
  • implied limit to size
  • shows a specific mission
  • works for ground and space