Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I have an ati hd4850. So far I haven't experienced the overheating issues, but when I upgraded the graphics card I did put in a new aftermarket fan. I'll have to check my gpu temps next time I'm playing.
Lt. Commander
# 12 ati 4850
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
i have ati 4850 vid card and it works great except when i zone then i crash... any suggestions? its brand new and never has any other sort of problem or this problem with anything other than sto.... ugh
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
i have a hd 4350 and i got no problem maybe your should update your processor with new drivers
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Just wondering if maybe the patch reset your vsync setting back to off ?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I would bet the heat-sink is making poor contact. All the ATI's I've ever owner ran pretty hot (gave up after the hd3000 line). My 3850 would run mid 80's constant, when I put it in my water loop it took my cpu temps up around 20c (55c load - 30ish without card) and if you got unlucky and touched the radiator you got to peel your skin off it. Granted this was a year or two ago and I've long since moved passed ATI.

Don't get me wrong, ATI makes some damn good cards, but for now I stick with Nvidia (yes they do shady **** too lol).

Noticed today I peaked at 86c on my setup which had me a little worried. 2 gtx 260's (CM Haf tower and excellent cable management, even built my own ducting system out of phenolic to help with directing air a little better.

I run pretty much max settings 1920x1080, 16qxaa enhanced, 16xaf, shadows, etc etc. The only thing I don't use is SSAO and Depth of field simply because I don't like the effect. Runs 60fps solid rarely spiking even in large groups.

No other game does this to my cards, none... You can't really compare one game against another but it will give you a rough idea. If your running hot (not overheating but pushing the upper range) in other games it's likely a bad contact or paste app. Inspect it, clean it, and test it.

If the problem is still there try testing different drivers to see if anything changes. But if the problem is only with STO your kind of stuck without killing the quality just to play. All the drivers, coolers, blah blah blah doesn't help crap when the game code is garbage. I've messed with my system so much over the last few weeks trying to lower my temps and get some of these errors fixed but I just said screw it, I hope they fix what they made but I'm not counting on it. Nvidia might make a few tweaks but that won't solve any problems either, same goes for ATI. For some people it works fine, others are lucky if their desk doesn't catch on fire.

_PS:
If you want to watch your temps while your playing get GPU-Z and set it to log to file, lots of info to look at that might give you an idea of whats going on.
--Like why is card 1 running at 85c with a max gpu load of 45%?? Dragon age runs my cards in the 80's and 90's constant and my temps never come close to that. And yes I limit my fps lol.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevia
Thanks Ziffy,
This seemed to help. I'm back to 93c @ 59% fan again.
Which settings do you use? I have a similar card and similar issues.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelor
Which settings do you use? I have a similar card and similar issues.
Look in the Graphics Settings for the Troubleshooting tab.

The last 2 items were added with the last patch to deal with heat issues, try one or both of them. One limits MaxFPS to 30/60/120, while the other adds a small pause (10ms) between frames.

These settings used to be command line parameters, but it appears that was disabled when they added them in Troubleshooting, so if you were using the command line option(s), you should now use these instead.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
One more reason not to buy anything from ATI
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
My ATI 4850 works fine. It's even OC'd. OP, theres something wrong with your card. Plain and simple.

Quote:
One more reason not to buy anything from ATI
Don't troll. Nvidia has had even bigger problems.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Since the last patch I can't play the game at all unless I'm in space. As soon as I get onto a planet I get artifacts and the image locks up and it even caused a BSOD once.

I can see that the driver stops, error message pops up saying the adapter driver has recovered or some such.

When this occurs I can't even play other games until I shut the computer down for a bit then restart it.

I can play MW2, Dragon Age, Demi God, etc, etc without any problems until I load up STO and only since the last patch.

My brother bought the game and I am using a 10 day pass and was going to buy the game but now I can't even play.

I have an Core i7 processor running on Vista 64 bit with an HD 4850.

All other games work fine. Don't know what to say, seems like the game to me. I'm going to try a few things I've seen on the boards today when I get home and hopefully get it working.