Lt. Commander
# 1 Hard crash since the new patch
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
It's possible that this could be my hardware, but I've had it up and running for a couple of months now with no signs of dysfunction. But ever since the patch, I keep getting these complete and total crashes. Like, the power shuts off. I'm not getting any error beeps from the motherboard. I'll try setting up a memory test a bit later.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, me too buddy. Game dies to desktop and a few minutes later my entire system locks up requiring a hard boot. I don't know what it is but, I think it could be a memory leak in the game. Memory leaks are very bad for hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Doing a bit more reading, it looks like I'm suffering from the heat problems that have cropped up with the latest patch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Try setting /maxfps 30 or somewhere thereabouts and see if it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Set it to 30 fps. No dice, the whole thing crashed after a mission or two. This issue has also made me realize that what I thought was a server issue was actually my brand new system choking on the graphics.

This isn't any attempt to restart the argument that's currently going around the PC Technical Issues forum, but this is a brand new quad-core, Nvidia 9800 GT system with 8 Gb RAM (no overclocking). It's had no problem with Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age on the highest settings. This particular game causes it to stutter on the low graphic settings. I don't pretend to be an expert but I have a hard time believing that this is working to spec.

I'm going to wait until the next patch to try this again. I don't want to stress the computer beyond what it's already got going on.

By the way, I really appreciate the reply.
Lt. Commander
Just to offer some additional feedback, I find that it crashes the most when I have left sector space and entered a mission. The animation of my ship warping into the system plays out, but there is a slight "beat" where the game is serving up the initial communication/message to explain the mission in this system. More often than not, that's where it crashes.

By "crash," I really mean "freeze." The game stops and the screen is frozen, requiring me to do a hard shutdown and manual reboot.

I'm using a 17" MacBook Pro but booted up in Win XP/3 in BootCamp. My system has 8Gb of RAM (please tell me that's enough!) and uses an NVidia GeForce 9600M updated to the latest driver version {(6.14.11.9562) The patch is the latest version (as of this writing.)

I hadn't had any problems with the game prior to the latest patch install. Is there anything else I should be doing differently?

I'm enjoying the game otherwise!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
So interesting developments:

I was able to play okay on lower settings with a number of the troubleshooting options turned off. However today, I turned everything back up and had GPU-z set up a sensor log to see exactly what might be going on. End result? Temperatures never got over 72 degrees, which is well within operating specs. In fact, at the time of the shut down, the card was actually running in the mid-60's.

So if this is a hardware problem, it's not from overheating or any similar overtaxing of the system. I'm leaning in the direction of some kind of hardware setup problem, but at the same time, it has definitely been caused by the latest round of patches. I think I'm taking this over to user self help to see if anyone can spot any big problems in my configuration.

Again, I have to say that it seems like the load being placed on the hardware is not proportional to the quality of the graphics we're seeing. I have little to no professional computer training here, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt (assuming you weren't already). But it seems like some kind of streamlining or optimization process is called for.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 09:24 PM
New heatsink/fan seems to have fixed the problem. Core temps are down 60 (!!!) degrees celsius. Maybe the more powerful and more efficient power supply helped, but I think it's mostly the fan.

Incidentally, I've got to plug my new heatsink and fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

If you're having issues wtih CPU heat and have the right socket, I can't recommend this highly enough. I'm still absolutely floored by that 60 degree drop.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird.of.prey
New heatsink/fan seems to have fixed the problem. Core temps are down 60 (!!!) degrees celsius. Maybe the more powerful and more efficient power supply helped, but I think it's mostly the fan.

Incidentally, I've got to plug my new heatsink and fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

If you're having issues wtih CPU heat and have the right socket, I can't recommend this highly enough. I'm still absolutely floored by that 60 degree drop.
Stock fans/heatsinks ae rarely any good. thats why, whenever you build your own system, or a pre-built one, you should always swap out the fan and heatsink that comes with it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archercap View Post
Just to offer some additional feedback, I find that it crashes the most when I have left sector space and entered a mission. The animation of my ship warping into the system plays out, but there is a slight "beat" where the game is serving up the initial communication/message to explain the mission in this system. More often than not, that's where it crashes.

By "crash," I really mean "freeze." The game stops and the screen is frozen, requiring me to do a hard shutdown and manual reboot.

I'm using a 17" MacBook Pro but booted up in Win XP/3 in BootCamp. My system has 8Gb of RAM (please tell me that's enough!) and uses an NVidia GeForce 9600M updated to the latest driver version {(6.14.11.9562) The patch is the latest version (as of this writing.)

I hadn't had any problems with the game prior to the latest patch install. Is there anything else I should be doing differently?

I'm enjoying the game otherwise!

Since the latest game patch I've had the EXACT same freezing of my game that requires to completely shutdown my computer and reboot.