Captain
Note3: Yeah, there's a pattern here. Decided just to remove the DPS/parse stuff. Simpler that way, eh?

Note2: The second note before the first! Yeah, wanted to add this because it's come up in some of the replies - I've replied in some of the replies to the replies - but kept forgetting to come back to this first post...the DPS angle, the parse stuff, etc, etc, etc - it's mainly just there as part of the first note below. They're not High DPS builds. It's not really a case of fixating on the DPS - had hoped with the term "average" that it would be a kind of vague thing. I guess with my being specific in this post though, it gave it more specificity than intended. Was just included to reinforce that they weren't High DPS builds.

Note: None of the following should be considered build recommendations in the least. They're not optimized for anything - neither PvE nor PvP. They're just my current builds (incomplete builds at that) and what I'm flying. If you're looking for build recommendations, I highly suggest you seek out the various experts on builds...based on how you fly, what you fly, and the content you want to do - they'll usually be more than happy to help you get where you're trying to get and maybe even beyond.

That being said, these are my current builds (incomplete builds at that) with a random PUG parse taken to reflect the average at best DPS they each do. It's part of what's in the description for this section of the forums, I'm a little bored - so I figured I'd share. (Besides, it's stopping me from creating a Ferengi named Merrill to fly a Risian Luxury Cruiser...I don't want to do that - need to keep myself busy!)

Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
This is where you can share builds, and post your feedback on powers and game mechanics (including Bridge Officers) in Star Trek Online.

Perhaps others will share their average builds doing average DPS where they're still actually having fun, eh? It's the School of Wheeee - flying around without too much of a care, getting the job done, and just going wheeeeeeeee!

There's not going to be any narrative about any of the selections or the like...they're not recommendations, no need for those kind of explanations. Besides, to be honest - some of it is just cause it looks cool.

The parses aren't high/low parses, they're just random parses from random PUGs run for this particular post. They might be high/low compared to the usual...they might just be what it's like on average. Don't know...don't care...wheeeeeee!

Willard the Rat, Reman Sci, Fleet T'varo

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...lardtvaro_5343

Rave, Joined Trill Sci, Kar'Fi

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...ravekarfi_5343

Mysk, Gorn Sci, Varanus

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...skvaranus_5343

Maal, Klingon Eng, Mogh

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=maalmogh_5343

Vegar, Orion Eng, Marauder

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...rmarauder_5343

R'ebel, Romulan Eng, Haakona

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...rebelhaak_5343

Nivuh, Ferasan Tac, B'rel

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...nivuhbrel_5343

Venit, Lethean Tac, Mirror Qin

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=venitqin_5343

Kopor, Nausicaan Tac, Guramba

Build: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...orguramba_5343

So do you have an average build with average DPS but you're still having fun...?
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel

Last edited by virusdancer; 07-09-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Captain
# 2
06-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

So do you have an average build with average DPS but you're still having fun...?

What do you mean with average build and (especially) average dps?
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Commander
# 3
06-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Well, thank you for asking. Yes, Virus. Yes, I do. I've never had much of the min/max approach to PvE. I tend to fly whatever I feel is amusing while still pulling my weight.

Both Hadrian and Aurelius are torpedo boat builds. Hadrian in a T'varo, Aurelius in a B'rel. Hadrian is a relatively new char - even fleetless - so I haven't gotten him much besides some standard blue stuff, but he does alright. He's very much a work in progress. I intend for him to be more on the PvP side of things and sticking to transphasics. Jam Sensors, Tractor Beam, drop some Nukara mines and a cluster torpedo before flying off.

Aurelius, on the other hand, is much further in the building process. His B'rel is not unlike your T'varo, but more science focused. There's something quite Wheeee about dropping Gravity Wells everywhere and bombarding the unsuspecting target(s) with brightly coloured rifts from the Gravitimetric Photon. It sure as hell is more fun than mashing a spacebar and winning. Oh, and I also drop some Nukara Mines because those things are pretty (and quite deadly, if they grab something).

Julius, right now, is mostly flying around in his Galor. I'm farming the Undine battlezone for marks, and that area is a total lagfest for me. Aux2Bat Galor makes it easymode, because going in with my trusty B'rel and not knowing whats happening for 2-3 seconds at a time can become quite frustrating. His B'rel is a standard vaper, with some fancy toys added to it for MOAR DAKKA. Enhanced Inertial Dampener thingy with Subspace Jump is a fun maneauver to pull. Also, I've been doing the Alptraum-maneuver for a bit, which is quite fun, although hard to time. Basicly, you decloak, hit Impulse Burst, Subspace Jump and hope for your torpedo's and Beam Overload to vape someone while you zoom off at crazy speeds.

With Marcellus, I like to go particle generator crazy and see how high I can get my Thalaron in a Tulwar - or whatever the sci version is called. Get 5 particle generators consoles, a good low HP GDF, TF, Alpha, Omega 3, EptA3 and see where it goes.

Rujan is the same: For PvE I load up on particle generators, Gravi torp, and smack everything around with TBR+Pull, Gravity Wells and Gravi torp rifts. It's so pwetty.

--

Now that I think of it, most of these are just a bit silly, not at all optimized for PvE but fun to fly. I hope that counts too.

--

Also:

Quote:
School of Wheeee
should totally be a fleet.
Julius - Klingon Tactical Officer, B'rel Bird of Prey // Rujan - Klingon Science Officer, Temporal Science Vessel
Marcellus - Romulan Tactical Officer, Scimitar Warbird // Aurelius - Klingon Science Officer, B'rel Bird of Prey
Hadrian, Romulan Tactical Officer, Fleet T'varo Retrofit

Last edited by jaegernl; 06-11-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Commander
# 4
06-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Oh, and: Ramming Speed. I kinda like using it whenever it comes off cooldown. I can spare the 15 seconds waiting to respawn and it just feels right shouting 'PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED'.
Julius - Klingon Tactical Officer, B'rel Bird of Prey // Rujan - Klingon Science Officer, Temporal Science Vessel
Marcellus - Romulan Tactical Officer, Scimitar Warbird // Aurelius - Klingon Science Officer, B'rel Bird of Prey
Captain
# 5
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
What do you mean with average build and (especially) average dps?
Average could mean so many things - I'm going with the very loose definition/classification of something that's simply not optimized/built out/etc/etc/etc. There's all sorts of great information out there for folks looking to fly optimized builds for PvE and PvP.

Some of us just like to tool around - fly whatever grabs us at the moment or for whatever reason - and have fun that way...

I rerolled seven guys for 2014, deleting eight from last year. I decided to go all KDF (outside of the KDF-aligned Reman)...and...I decided I'd fly one of each "type" of KDF ship.

Raider - B'rel
Raptor - Mirror Qin
Battle Cruiser - Mogh
Flight-Deck Cruiser - Marauder
Support/Science Vessel - Varanus
Carrier - Kar'Fi

Looking at different ships, I decided why not match up some species and take it from there.

Marauder (Orion) - tada, Orion.
Varanus (Gorn) - tada, Gorn.
Guramba (Nausicaan) - tada, Nausicaan.

Then it got a little complicated, kind of - sort of - not really.

Dropped the Klingon in the Mogh...cause. Just cause.
Ferasan went in the B'rel, doing that predator sort of thing.
Joined Trill went in the Kar'Fi, doing that sort of alien thing.
Lethean...got what was left, lol.

Then it was a case of scoping out the various Rep sets...doing the "oh, that might look cool on this boat - that might look cool on that boat"...with the Lethean getting what was left. Poor guy, eh?

And basically just building out from there...

Wasn't a case of looking to build any sort of uber optimized boat for PvE or PvP - just average fun builds...wheeeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegernl View Post
Oh, and: Ramming Speed. I kinda like using it whenever it comes off cooldown. I can spare the 15 seconds waiting to respawn and it just feels right shouting 'PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED'.
Heh, my miss rate for trying to ram Gates is pretty bad. I'll usually leave Ramming Speed off my bars or hidden back somewhere. I'd probably have a better chance of ramming a Gate if I triggered Ramming Speed and waited for it to come to me.

Though, I've had all sorts of luck having pets fly into me while trying to do a Ramming Speed in PvP...all sorts of luck - none of it good - but all sorts of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegernl View Post
Now that I think of it, most of these are just a bit silly, not at all optimized for PvE but fun to fly. I hope that counts too.
Yeah, just the average fun to fly ships...silly or not, or definitely silly, it's all good. Basically do folks have fun running stuff that's not optimized out the wahzoo (not that folks don't have fun doing that, plenty of folks do - we see the threads all the time - but where are the threads from folks just tooling around and having fun?)...
Commander
# 6
06-11-2014, 04:55 PM
My most fun average build. A canon inspired fleet Defiant. Did good dmg in PvE though never parsed it.
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...fleetdefiant_0
Captain
# 7
06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddaytodie39 View Post
My most fun average build. A canon inspired fleet Defiant. Did good dmg in PvE though never parsed it.
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...fleetdefiant_0
Do the Phaser Quads make the same aggressive sound? Don't have them...but it's trip listening to the Disruptor Quads.
Captain
# 8
06-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Virus, I am so glad you started this thread. I, too just try whatever looks like I'll have fun with. Too many people posting here take this game far too seriously. Currently I am working up a Mirror Mogai Retrofit as a Drain Boat just to see what can be done. I have spent the last month just tinkering around with it to see just how far I can take it. It will never be a DPS Monster but it is enjoyable to stop something dead in its tracks during an ESTF or while swanning about in Ker'rat. It isn't a cloaked vaper build, either. Too much fun for them to see me coming and be able to shrug off whatever it is they shoot me with.
Commander
# 9
06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Oh, for a while I put single cannons on my Temporal Science Vessel. EptE + EptS and Aux2Dampeners for Engineers, and TT1/CSV1/CSV2 for the tactical slot. It's wildly ineffective, but a good bit of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Here's my build:
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...towconcordia_0

Been refining it since the pre-f2p days and is pretty much my preferred ship. Don't have any recent parses since I barely run ISE anymore and I pretty much only PuG.
Tend to get first place in Gorn Minefield and the rare occasion that Klingon Scout Force actually pops when the daily's up for it. PvE only.

Can't wait until I get my hands on a Risian Corvette and seeing what kinda rainbow/pseudo rainbow boat I can make of it. (Mainly looking at the Obelisk 360 beam + warp core and taking the whole 'party' thing to the extremes.)

Edit: Bah, forgot to include using Tac Team with the cycle. Oh well.

Last edited by yargomesh; 06-11-2014 at 06:35 PM.