Lt. Commander
You heard me, I honestly predict in a month or maybe less people will start mass quitting because of today's patch. The borg part, yeah! That's great and all, but limiting the deep space missions to once every 30 minutes...do you guys realise how much of a handicap this places on the poor people who are actually trying to level now?

You want to know how much XP I earned during the past 3 hours? Nearly 7 bubbles, not even enough XP to ding from Lieutenant Commander 1 to 2, simply because I can no longer repeat the deep space missions. Couple that now with diminishing returns on completing missions that are lower level than you, even if your just one level above...you're losing out on a lot of XP, even if the mission still takes you a considerable amount of time to complete.

I completed Kasse Sector patrol, the entire thing netted me a massive 31XP for handing in the quest, Completed Kuva'Magh for a 138XP, barely made a dent in the XP bar really. Couple that with +1 xp here and there for kills, essentially all XP as of today has been majorly nerfed. Sure, its kinder understandable that Cryptic doesn't want everyone at Admiral rank 2 weeks after launch, but nerfing XP this way is the wrong way to do it, and there are many, many reasons why.

First off, there simply is not enough missions per level so the player can level up, not without hitting up multiple deep space missions, but oh wait! Now the player can only hit up one per every 30 minutes, so essentially the devs are putting limits on our play time now, there isn't much else you can do. Sure, do an exploration mission for umm? 50 or so XP, maybe a little more if your lucky and that might take you 30 minutes or so. The point is, people will get massively bored and fast by limiting this. One of the reasons why people haven't complained so much so far is the action is fast paced enough during deep space missions.

1) Get 'X' secure sector mission
2) Destroy X wave until restart time appears
3) Change instance to look for something else with shorter time limit or already started
4) Repeat X amount of times until you level

Oh wait, did I mention? You can't do this anymore. So Cryptic, please tell me....what are you supposed to do when you run out of missions and you need to level up to get more missions? Deep Space missions every 30 minutes for an entire day just to gain one level now? Sure the game has launched and its natural you guys want to use the nerf hammer, but you guys have to be careful with it...doing some major nerfs so soon will spell disaster for the future of STo, I've seen it first hand with several other launches and subsequent mass player quits.

In closing, this doesn't really affect all the current RA5 players unless they have made alts. Everybody here should know, this is a disastrous mistake and serious over-sight on behalf of Cryptic, this needs to be fixed immediately. What happened to the 80 or so hours to reach the level cap? I guess that got thrown out of the window real fast today. Its possible this could be a bug and should only limit the Borg Deep Space missions instead of limiting ALL deep space missions, if not a bug...then even Q can't save us from this tragic error in judgement.

:This isn't about Cluster missions (Exploration). This issue is about DSE (Deep Space Encounters)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Err, I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't noticed any change doing -1 and -2 missions. Kuva'Magh and Kassae sector patrol are Lt 7 missions, -4 to you if you're at LtCdr 1. Seems like a significant hit in XP is appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Only done 3 of each sector defence quests per 10 ranks, otherwise been exploring or doing episode quests and i fail to see where's the problem. I even had extra low level episode quests left when gained promotion into Captain. If anything i think leveling is way too fast still considering how new this game is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
Is the problem that other people were able to level faster, or that a currently player can not level fast.

I would guess grinding the area you mention is no different then grinding missions, except that you dont go up in level as fast. Is going up in level the issue, or is it that the area that is limited is the fun place you like playing in. If there was not a time limit but you got no xp would you play that area.

Is it about leveling? Is it about others that have already leveled? or is it just that by coincidence the funnest part of game for you is also the part that gives the quickest xp?

You could make valid points on lots of current high levels not having got there with the same amount of work as it would take a current player, is that the issue?

It may be that leveling is what you like, but that is an artificial reward system based on some scale of some speed you want it to be. If the reward is leveling, it is always better to level faster, but if the game just makes it easy it has no value once you get there.

I have just leveled with missions and first 20 levels have enough missions to always do some around your level.
Lt. Commander
# 5
didn't this latest patch actually shorten the wait time? we've had a waiting time since live, i could happily do one explore zone and complete another explore zone before it restarted. Now they've changed that half hour wait from after you hand in the mission to when you start it. if i get three combat missions in a row the half hour is up by the time i complete it and can restart it immediately.

it's simple as pie to level through exploration, i just hit captain today and i'm ten levels higher than all of my episode content, all through exploration.

that said i've read that there could be bugs with it, some seem to work this way and some may still work the old way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
I completly DISAGREE with the OP's assesment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Wait.. the OP is an Admiral (at least his sig says so) and he's complaining because he's not getting enough XP doing quests that are for Lt's and Lt Cmdr's? Ummmm... well I'll just leave it at that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 02:11 AM
I have not played since the patch, but quite frankly this will not affect me.

I re-rolled the other day so I am only a level 8, but I want to enjoy the game, not just power-level to 50.

Assuming that this was done on purpose, I can see a couple of reasons:

First to help slow down the gold farmers… after all that is how they get up to high levels quickly. Second, for some reason Cryptic seams to be afraid that even the slightest Death Penalty will ruin the game, so instead of a DP they do this to artificially slow leveling. Logical, but it does not add to the depth of the game like a meaningful DP might.

As for not enough missions, I disagree, especially at lower levels there are plenty of missions, sure they take longer than just repeating deep space over and over… but the point of the game is to absorb the story along the way to 50, not to reach 50 in 3 days.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Yet another poster who thinks that he personally represents the entire player base.

I'm sorry pal. You leaving does not constitute a mass exodus, no matter how much you weigh. If you really are that massive - don't let your arse hit the door on the way out
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 02:14 AM
You guys are completely missing the point, by a mile.

Previously, You could get said Cluster/Secure mission and repeat it constantly. Now you cannot.

Read my words carefully, and think about it.

If you have completed all your current missions and need to level up. You have to go repeat Cluster/Secure missions like always, but now you can only complete >> 1 << every 30 minutes for a small amount of XP, meaning if you need a considerably amount of XP in order to level, it will take you a significant amount of time to reach the next level, the higher level you are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
I have not played since the patch, but quite frankly this will not affect me.

I re-rolled the other day so I am only a level 8, but I want to enjoy the game, not just power-level to 50.

Assuming that this was done on purpose, I can see a couple of reasons:

1) First to help slow down the gold farmers… after all that is how they get up to high levels quickly. Second, for some reason Cryptic seams to be afraid that even the slightest Death Penalty will ruin the game, so instead of a DP they do this to artificially slow leveling. Logical, but it does not add to the depth of the game like a meaningful DP might.

2) As for not enough missions, I disagree, especially at lower levels there are plenty of missions, sure they take longer than just repeating deep space over and over… but the point of the game is to absorb the story along the way to 50, not to reach 50 in 3 days.
1) It'll not stop or slow the down gold farmers one single bit.

2) Trust me, there isn't enough missions to carry you over - It may seem like that in the early stages of the game, but as you progress deeper and higher, you'll quickly see my point.