Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 101
02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedonbaker View Post
In the words of William Shatner, "Get a life."

Seriously. It's a game. Don't sperg out because one warp nacelle appears to be longer than the other or if there should be an extra row of windows.
Thank you for dropping by and trolling, thereby bumping this post.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 102
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Thank you for dropping by and trolling, thereby bumping this post.

Yes. Next time I will not express my opinion. I'm also not sure how bumping a thread (which itself was bumped 20 minutes prior) is a problem. We have bigger issues to worry about, such as the proper phaser placement for my tier 5 science vessel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 103
02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Personal opinion:

The K'Vort should be is own model. Using a scaled up version of the B'Rel was done due to budget constraints and lazy FX philosophy in the ST series'. The excuse of it being scaled up was created by the fan base, in order to justify a lousy design decision by the makers of the show in which it appeared.

Using scaled up versions of ships looks sloppy and lazy, and makes the Klingons honestly look, as a species, very stupid. New Klingon designs, please. They are an intelligent and aggressive race, which is fully capable of creating new things in order to adapt to and overcome changing situations.
The problem is that the Klingon Empire has a kind of "anti-intellectual" "anti-scientist" bias. Basically if you aren't a proper "warrior" you are looked down at. Many Klingon tech advancements have come from other races and from their allies. Also they are fairly conservative as a species. That means that they are VERY slow to adopt new classes of ships. Hell, they have used BOP designs for like 200+ years. Heck, I think that they have just been upgrading tech in their old ships instead of making new ones.
---

From a game player POV, I want to have a Movie/TNG/DS9 era BOP to captain. So I would be quite disappointed if the artists "upgraded" the look of the classic ships. I don't mind the new classes, I just want the old stuff available. Heck my Feddy piloted a TOS Constitution class (Which BTW has nacelles that are slightly too long), and then grabbed a T2 Movie ara Constitution as her upgrade ship. Things like this make the game much more fun for me. Yeah, it doesn't make sense that TOS Constitutions are available to pilot or that they are actually effective in combat. I don't really care about that, I am making my own episodes and having fun. BTW my Klingon officer would love to fly both the TOS D7 and a Correct K'tinga. That would make my klingon experience much better.

This is a good thread. I hope that the canon minded players help to correct the issues that the ship models have.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 104
02-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey just a thought on your entire complaint/picky pointing out of issues here. This game places the time line at after the Nemesis Movie, so what do you base all of your "info" on for ship design, it cannot possibly be past stuff because developments would seem to indicate that things change. Perhaps the Miranda class changed to one set of windows in stead of two for budgetary or window washing union reasons. Perhaps they took the light off the name of the ship registration on the Defiant class due to it always burning out at high warp. Your claims of this and that are moot as this is a continuing time line and what starship manufacturer would not make design improvements.:p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 105
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
The problem is that the Klingon Empire has a kind of "anti-intellectual" "anti-scientist" bias. Basically if you aren't a proper "warrior" you are looked down at. Many Klingon tech advancements have come from other races and from their allies. Also they are fairly conservative as a species. That means that they are VERY slow to adopt new classes of ships. Hell, they have used BOP designs for like 200+ years. Heck, I think that they have just been upgrading tech in their old ships instead of making new ones.
---
I can definitely see how one would get this impression, but I don't think its accurate, personally. To me, the Klingon "warrior" isn't an occupation, its more of a state of being, almost a religious path, not a job. Klingon scientists and engineers would also consider themselves warriors due to how they lead their lives according to tradition and meet all challenges without fear and without backing down, even if they don't see actual combat for many years. While every klingon in the empire is a warrior, not every klingon in the empire is a soldier and its the soldiers we have dealt with exclusively on the TV series.

The Klingons are clever, and more of technological opportunists. They made a deal with the romulans and secured cloaking technology the very year it first appeared (anyone who could get the romulans to part with such a brand new, high tech secret definitely has something to offer). They also adopted the bird of prey style ship from them very shortly after it made its debut with the romulans. This is not old, antiquated technology but bleeding edge alien equipment being hastily adapted to klingon designed warships.

On top of that, its good to remember that the Klingons were the ones who found a defense against the Breen energy dampening weapon. The Romulans and The Federation couldn't.

I think the Klingons are a far more clever people than their military gives an impression of.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 106
02-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnsaer
Hey just a thought on your entire complaint/picky pointing out of issues here. This game places the time line at after the Nemesis Movie, so what do you base all of your "info" on for ship design, it cannot possibly be past stuff because developments would seem to indicate that things change. Perhaps the Miranda class changed to one set of windows in stead of two for budgetary or window washing union reasons. Perhaps they took the light off the name of the ship registration on the Defiant class due to it always burning out at high warp. Your claims of this and that are moot as this is a continuing time line and what starship manufacturer would not make design improvements.:p
The window thing really isn't negotiable. Windows correspond directly to decks- you can't have windows breaching multiple decks on a ship for obvious reasons. Cutting the window rows from 2 to 1 effectively makes the ship half the size its supposed to be. Thats not cool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 107
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
The window thing really isn't negotiable. Windows correspond directly to decks- you can't have windows breaching multiple decks on a ship for obvious reasons. Cutting the window rows from 2 to 1 effectively makes the ship half the size its supposed to be. Thats not cool.
Actually maybe the decided it was uncool to put windows on that deck seeing as it was only for equipment and various other stuff that requires no window for someone to look out of....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 108
02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant797 View Post
Always is such a strong word. Although the running along the strip looks real purty, it's not a requirement to fire.

Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ds9G...eature=related
(specifically 2:55 to 3:10).

And this is against multiple enemies, you know, like we usually are in game.

I'm content if the phasers originate from where they're supposed to (as opposed to on nacelles). Heck, my dual phasers on the miranda properly originated from the pylon strut (aka rollbar), as in TWOK
If you look at that video again, you will see the initial firing is a charge up as I described, while subsequent firing does not seem to require the "charge" effect.

Though I agree with you in that I'd be happy if weapons simply fired from where they are meant to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 109
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Not a starship model, but i just noticed that the Deep Space 9 model(exterior) is like at least TWICE the size it really should be.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/me...ep_space_9.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 110
02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jes-
*Sabers warp nacelles attach at different points, one's further forward than the other.
:
OK after reading this and looking at the picture I have to say, first I was laughing pretty good. After that I thought "wow talk about half ass'd work". If that was my job I would be embarrassed. Mediocrity at its best.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 PM.