Lt. Commander
Improving the space combat to allow for full 360 or 180 degree flight is a definite need. Too often I find myself to far above or below my target (be it an anomaly or enemy vessel) to attack or scan it and have to do a irritatingly long round about circle to gain enough inclination/declination to properly face it. (This is especially annoying when flying a tactical vessel with cannons equipped,)

Also, this is space and the vessels have artificial gravity not having full moment around all dimensions rather ruins the feel of space combat and immersion factor as well.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveressa View Post
Improving the space combat to allow for full 360 or 180 degree flight is a definite need. Too often I find myself to far above or below my target (be it an anomaly or enemy vessel) to attack or scan it and have to do a irritatingly long round about circle to gain enough inclination/declination to properly face it. (This is especially annoying when flying a tactical vessel with cannons equipped,)

Also, this is space and the vessels have artificial gravity not having full moment around all dimensions rather ruins the feel of space combat and immersion factor as well.
I wholeheartedly agree, we need full movement and it isn't a hard thing to implement.

So far however, Cryptic has been loathe to accept the idea and move forward and instead insist the current mechanic is A-OK and refuse to change it.

Thank you for being a part of us that want full freedom of movement but unfortunately Cryptic really doesn't care.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 03:14 AM
I think enough has been said on this subject already: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=64658

That said, the ships in-game move like they do, because the ships in the show, apart from one or two exceptions, move like submarines.

If ships moved like in EVE, it wouldn't feel like Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 03:36 AM
I could execute a 180 degree movement in the Starfleet Command games.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenee View Post
That said, the ships in-game move like they do, because the ships in the show, apart from one or two exceptions, move like submarines.

You assume that submarines can't loop or even do vertical maneuvers. This is a fallacy that is perpetuated by sheer ignorance. The difference between atmospheric maneuvering and aquatic is simply a factor of viscosity. Making comparisons between space and aquatic maneuvers is illogical at best and lunacy at worse.

Given that by 2409 the mechanics of Space Flight have been overcome there is no reason not to have full spectrum of maneuvers available. Of course Cryptic will state the engine isn't capable but that is an excuse rather than a reason. The addition of ventral and dorsal shields coupled with proper maneuvering would only enhance the game, not detract from it. Naturally it would then require joystick control to make it playable.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKain666 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, we need full movement and it isn't a hard thing to implement.

So far however, Cryptic has been loathe to accept the idea and move forward and instead insist the current mechanic is A-OK and refuse to change it.

Thank you for being a part of us that want full freedom of movement but unfortunately Cryptic really doesn't care.
Its harder to implement than you all think IMO. Combat is based on a 180 degree plane, even when you are pitched up at 45 degrees on the Z axis you are still combat wise focused on the flat plane.

Adding 360 degrees means they have to completely redo the combat mechanics in regards to how weapons are fired off in their cone of attack to accommodate a sphere of potential directions rather than a circle of potential directions.

Otherwise your cone of attack will have to be completely independent of where your ship is actually facing which would be retarded. (My ship is facing directly up but my guns are firing out of my ships belly)

I think 360 movement SHOULD happen but lets not kid ourselves into thinking this is a weekend fix. Just flip the old 360 switch and we are done. This probably will require quite a bit of recoding and rethinking of game mechanics.

I say we let them polish up and fine tune the system we have currently before diving into any large changes, but that's me. I would prefer to see more difficulty added first. I have all these strategic tools I'm desperate to use but so far haven't had a challenge to really flex their muscles.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Space flight would be much simpler if they added the ability to roll your vessel into the current flight dynamics. Then if you pass somethingyou simply turn your ship upside down and turn simultaneously, spiraling quickly towards your intended target.

"Fox, get this guy off me!"
"Do a barrel roll!"
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Should at least be able to go straight up or straight down.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Movement while swimming in WoW
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
In WoW, while swimming and sometimes while flying You can go straight up and down with the press of a key also the dive and climb function while using a mouse let you go almost straight up or down with a little forward momentum.

Maybe the Dev Team needs to re-watch Wrath of Khan if they donít think ST ships can maneuver straight up and down.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenee View Post
I think enough has been said on this subject already: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=64658

When you can find me an example in any of the shows when any ship does a death spiral for 5 minutes to reach a target above or below it, that point can have some merit.

No one brought up EVE, so stop bringing it up yourself - 360 movement is not "moving like EVE" 360 movement is simply moving and it *isn't* hard to implement even in regards to the combat and all else that exists in the game already.