Lt. Commander
# 1 Needs more Customization
02-12-2010, 04:07 AM
I guess from a purely Star Trek sense, the character creator is fine because nearly all races were simply regular humans with some modification to their nose or head. But there were also a few that weren't so simple and, let's face it, cheap. Tholians for example.

While there are "technically" potentially billions of possible looks for a character, realistically theres not that many that actually look noticably different. You have the handful of skin colors which are mostly just different tones of the same few colors, the short list of noses, ears, foreheads, and hairstyles, and thats about it. The rest is purely proportions.

Now it's all fine and good for what it is I guess, but there should really be more options. I mean theres not even a white skin color, like pure white. No options for things like tails, and the options for things like horns is very very limited. No digitrade legs, no claw-like hands, nothing.

There were a few aliens encountered that had such features in the shows. But even if there weren't, there are plenty of custom aliens running around that don't exist in star trek, so what's the harm in making a few more?

I'm sure the character creator improvements are probably on the backburner and won't see new content there for quite a while, but just thought it would be nice.

Would also be great to have some non-uniform costume options. I mean even the feds never wore uniforms 24/7, they had other clothes. Troy almost never wore a uniform period. And the player klingons, they have virtually no options at all for their uniforms, the colors are basically all that sets them apart, especially females.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I have to agree. I frankly don't like a lot of how the current alian scheme is implemented anyway...I've seen way too many spiky headed super thin ridiculously tall alians, and they're really...ugly. I can barely stand most of it.

On the other hand, I've also seen some neat stuff, including at least one person who looked like a Halfling.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 04:40 AM
I've seen a night elf.

But anyway, you can only have so many goofy heads, noses and ears.

You can't even remove your nose, best you can do is make it flat and ugly. Which is silly.

Also, ever tried to make a Hirogen or Jem'hadar? You'll end up looking like a failed abortion.

Which is probably deliberate, so they can sell hirogen and jem'hadar races later for real money.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 04:45 AM
While I understand that, from a technical standpoint, "cooler" alienraces would be possible, I felt it was always the intention to show alienraces as somewhat human to emphasise that they came from the same "genepool" and just represented a (somewhat exagerated) aspect of humanity.

I always liked that.

But I agree that, while I personally proudly wear the late DS9 and TNG-movies uniform, a sort of "warderobe" where you could store two or three outfits would be great. I don't want to pay everytime I change clothes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 05:31 AM
i want tentacle ...

^^