Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I actually love these missions. They're basically free exploration missions. I can go into an exploration cluster, do three missions and maybe pick up one or two relief missions I cannot accomplish. I complete the exploration and get my reward. Then I go buy the provisions, start the mission again when the cool down finishes and go back. With a few mouse clicks I finish off all the relief missions and now I need to only explore one or two more planets to finish the second trip.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Actually...I agree with him/her.

Costs 1000 creds for most...some can cost up to 4000. And that's not even counting the DS9 Temple Offerings...where you have to buy 160 Provisions to get 16 entertainment provisions, then then another 60 of something else that eludes me at posting to get the self sealing stem bolts

I hate spending money on money sinks.

Money also isn't as easy to come by for some people, especially if they haven't really played that long.
I'd say at the early levels the price seems kind of steep, but by the time you hit LC you'll have more money than you can conveniently spend as long as you aren't buying upgrades off the Exchange all the time (that is what those exploration missions are for after all.) I don't even think the 40000 credits you have to spend for the provisions for the DS9 mission chain is that bad. I find having to T-warp back to Earth and click 660 times to buy the things more annoying (move the store window so the OK button comes up right over the item. Then it's three clicks per item and no mouse moves. It still takes a long time though.)

What I do is save up those relief missions for later if I don't have the stuff in the bank. I usually do the 3 exploration missions and T-warp back to Earth to pick up supplies, empty my inventory into the bank and put more stuff on the Exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I tried these missions in OB and now and I do like them as an alternative to the standard kill missions. But whenever I've tried to take these missions when I don't have enough of the item and have to fly all the way back to sector space when I return to the cluster there's no button to continue the mission. Am I missing something? I checked the quest log and the quest is still there but I don't see any way to reenter the system in question.

I just started carrying around 10 of each provision. Its not like I'm really hurting for energy since all the good loot comes from badges.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I do them if I happen to have supplies with me. Which is rarely the case, there aren't that many enemy ships dropping shield generators, lol
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin
I'd say at the early levels the price seems kind of steep, but by the time you hit LC you'll have more money than you can conveniently spend as long as you aren't buying upgrades off the Exchange all the time (that is what those exploration missions are for after all.) I don't even think the 40000 credits you have to spend for the provisions for the DS9 mission chain is that bad. I find having to T-warp back to Earth and click 660 times to buy the things more annoying (move the store window so the OK button comes up right over the item. Then it's three clicks per item and no mouse moves. It still takes a long time though.)

What I do is save up those relief missions for later if I don't have the stuff in the bank. I usually do the 3 exploration missions and T-warp back to Earth to pick up supplies, empty my inventory into the bank and put more stuff on the Exchange.
its 220 times (160+60) and actually, you can skip the confirmation window completely if you hold down the control button while clicking. cuts the buying time down by a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler98 View Post
I tried these missions in OB and now and I do like them as an alternative to the standard kill missions. But whenever I've tried to take these missions when I don't have enough of the item and have to fly all the way back to sector space when I return to the cluster there's no button to continue the mission. Am I missing something? I checked the quest log and the quest is still there but I don't see any way to reenter the system in question.

I just started carrying around 10 of each provision. Its not like I'm really hurting for energy since all the good loot comes from badges.
actually, you have to find an "unknown system" anomoly and get close to it before the continue message will pop up.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
the way to fix these missions would be to add: "we found some piece of weird technology in a wreckage in the mountains, it is useless to us, but maybe it could help you" and there you would get a RARE piece of random loot for your time/credits spent.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I kind of like these, a nice break from the "kill 5 rats... i mean ships)" that a lot of the exploration ones end up being. Never tried keeping the supplies in the bank, but since you can craft from the bank, makes sense you can store other supplies there. I know money is no problem for a bad player like me, at least in LC ranks. I vendor pretty much anything white that isn't an improvement, and bought at least 10 of most of the lower level supplies i've been asked for. This is also being able to buy two cruisers in addition to my 'free' science ships'.

As to reward, it's fine i think, it just gets me to that 3/3 systems quicker. That's the 'real' reward of doing those missions. The things you can get from the badges is way better than most things you will (or should) get from doing one of any exploration mission.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoGrohl View Post
I actually love these missions. They're basically free exploration missions. I can go into an exploration cluster, do three missions and maybe pick up one or two relief missions I cannot accomplish. I complete the exploration and get my reward. Then I go buy the provisions, start the mission again when the cool down finishes and go back. With a few mouse clicks I finish off all the relief missions and now I need to only explore one or two more planets to finish the second trip.
At least someone understands how these missions can be quite effective.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcivious
At least someone understands how these missions can be quite effective.
Problem is that they can be so effective such that you outpace the reset timer.

I like them because there are usually 3-4 anomalies in the system. I scan them then get out of dodge. I'd be willing to give them another chance if they retooled it a bit to be actually entertaining. Heck, even if it was a delivery mission of some sort (take these Hyperkeratonic crystals to xxx systems and return to us with the supermarvelous technology) I'd be willing to do it, eventually. But as is its too much of a time sink with too little reward. At least fully recoup the sell cost of the materials they want you to use up.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshay View Post
Problem is that they can be so effective such that you outpace the reset timer.

I like them because there are usually 3-4 anomalies in the system. I scan them then get out of dodge.
Those same 3-4 are back when you return to deliver the supplies.

Yeah, you can indeed outpace it with them, however, it's nice as a way to finish up Exploration grinding for that Cluster. Basically your final one you get a quick 1-3 explorations, and move on to whatever other missions activity your going to do.