Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 61
06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
makes you wish we had the options for "alien' doesn't it?
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 62
06-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
makes you wish we had the options for "alien' doesn't it?
It does indeed
Captain
# 63
06-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Used a little different perspective, and didn't resolve it at all...

and it ties to another fic we're working on that hasn't premiered yet.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
# 64
06-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Patrick--I'm curious, is that Va'Kel Shon interrogating Anh at the end? Also...I kind of got an impression of this from the other story you posted, that Manuel and Luis have been in so long that even though they would have been up for parole, they seem to have lost the ability or desire to function on the outside. I admit, I had not expected them to be sent to 4028, given that the Feds might see Anh as representing an even greater type of danger than their more "run of the mill" type. So I was kind of thinking that would be the only reason why: a profile showing complete loss of ability to function in society.

I am also beginning to think that the 4028 security model is fundamentally flawed...or after the attack that occurs in the Cardassian Struggle arc, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
That makes sense, after all, he will both a) know that he either will fit or won't fit, and b) could use his shapeshifting ability to slightly reduce his size to make an enclosed area more spacious...
I don't know that he could shrink much beyond the height and form he maintains, to be honest. But yeah, he'd know if he fits or not.

Quote:
That is interesting to know, I guess it depends on the mechanics of their respiratory systems, but I guess they don't have the capacity to 'hold their breath' or prevent water entry as other species can.
Not well. The Devidian upper respiratory system is set up very differently from ours, mainly because of the lack of a larynx (totally different organ in a different placement, for speaking), and in natural form, an immobile mouth. When we hold our breaths we close our vocal cords and tighten the nasal vestibule, both of which Alyosha can't do. His instinct is to exhale against the water and attempt a powerful telekinetic burst to catapult out of the water or break free of whatever is trying to pull him under. If this fails and he is still pulled under, there's not much he could do...his only natural-form mechanism to avoid aspiration is exhalation. Attempting to shapeshift would probably cost too much energy and not happen quickly enough, or offer him enough protection.

He has learned how to swim in human form, just enough to pass the class (with poor marks but passing...I think that is probably his only truly bad grade on his Academy record), but that part of his Academy education was a complete horror, as far as he is concerned, and he is fighting the "telekinetic burst" instinct the entire time.

Quote:
Equally, water was one of the few things which could freak Marcus out. Despite being able to breathe underwater* the death of his mother made immersion a mentally traumatic event. There was a time when he taught Selek's sister how to sail, and indeed, on a mission to Romulus, fled the senate by diving into the harbour to be beamed up, but equally, it was just as likely to freak him out as not...
Understandable that would be a learned fear.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 65
06-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Used a little different perspective, and didn't resolve it at all...

and it ties to another fic we're working on that hasn't premiered yet.
That was fun
Captain
# 66
06-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I don't know that he could shrink much beyond the height and form he maintains, to be honest. But yeah, he'd know if he fits or not.
Yes, I guess he is quite compacted already by his Human form...

Quote:
Not well. The Devidian upper respiratory system is set up very differently from ours, mainly because of the lack of a larynx (totally different organ in a different placement, for speaking), and in natural form, an immobile mouth. When we hold our breaths we close our vocal cords and tighten the nasal vestibule, both of which Alyosha can't do. His instinct is to exhale against the water and attempt a powerful telekinetic burst to catapult out of the water or break free of whatever is trying to pull him under. If this fails and he is still pulled under, there's not much he could do...his only natural-form mechanism to avoid aspiration is exhalation. Attempting to shapeshift would probably cost too much energy and not happen quickly enough, or offer him enough protection.
Yes, a large opening with no means of sealing would indeed be very dangerous in water, and indeed, exhalation would only work once, and if the shock of entering cold water was to affect a Devidian as it would a Human, that gasp may occur before the head even goes under

Quote:
Understandable that would be a learned fear.
Not so much a fear, as a hard reminder to ignore... All the time there's something to distract him, ie being chased and shot at by Romulan guards, he'd be too distracted, but sitting on the beach of Risa, for example...
Captain
# 67
06-22-2014, 05:31 PM
@worffan101 - This was great stuff! I wish to add more to the thought but I'm really liking what I read
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, it appears we've found the Cutting Room Floor edition of our film, and while we're sad to say it's not the complete and edited version, we've decided to screen it to you, our lovely audience for testing, until we locate the animation departments final draft.

Captain Proton: Featuring Chaotica's Bride and the Fifth Dimension Invaders

We hope you enjoy it, and leave feedback regarding continuity error, mispells[ <- Ergo, Had to do this one ]

And Ladies and Bloaks, don't Forget!

We will soon be switching up to screen our other hit movies of the month, The Lonely Android and the Mutant Men, or our feature docudrama, The Multiverse through Movies.

We hope to see your lovely faces again, and get all the positive feedback we can!
Captain
# 69
06-23-2014, 11:07 AM
@masopw - The opening scene was great and you captured the Vulcan response perfectly (imo) - especially since that came back to the reader in the form of Sotek's response to the video (AND my ship got name-checked - the answer is yes, yes we are ) Yeah, this was a good entry!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 70
06-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Now showing: Movies Through the Multiverse

It's a personal ending to the last LC where Gregs is stranded.
A little dark for me.