Captain
It struck me as very odd today as I was churning through my Risian Monkey Mark production process, and it struck me that the Federation would allow the sale of sentient intelligent creatures as pets.

Yes, dogs and horses are very smart. One might surmise that cats are brilliant, using thier brilliance to keep us as pets....

If they are smart enough to make masks, it begs to question whether this is a new intelligent species native to Risa?

Any takers?
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com
Captain
# 2
06-15-2014, 03:46 PM
I couldn't really agree with all the previous posts about the monkeys being creepy. But you made me think they actually are.

Other than that: I believe the story behind the parrots (or the Eppohs or both) was originally that we help with their conservation efforts (also the original meaning of tags) by raising them. For our trouble, we can later keep some as our companions. However if we don't feel like we can keep caring about them, we may leave them to the experts on place (Risa, New Romulus, Winter ...).
We're not explicitly selling any animals, be they sentient or not.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 3
06-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Hmm, so one of the pets makes things. And another (the horta) can communicate with written word. . . . Nope nothing at all wrong in the Federation.
Captain
# 4
06-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Really good point - I had forgotten about the Horta pets.

I feel the game designers missed the opportunity with the hortas initially. In both TOS and the novels, they became miners on a variety of worlds, and were even put through Starfleet Training. I seem to remember one incident where a Horta ensign had to eat his way through a neutronium shielded door during a boarding raid.

The good news is that the Hortas are now at least doffs. Which again pegs to question, should we even have Horta pets anymore? Maybe remove them from being added as pets, but maintain the legacy of the ones already in play.

Interesting moral issue. But then again I can play a fed captain who has access to a Tharalon Pulse weapon, and subspace torpedos.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com
Commander
# 5 Get off the PC bandwagon
06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Your too focused on the word "pet", which if they changed it to assistant... or friend or comrade in arms? You click on it and the horta beams down to help you fight and then leave when over... sort of like the security officers.

dont know about the back ground story for the monkeys since I am skipping the powerboarding pay to win rat race... maybe once I am done farming favors for the DOs and the off Risa Outfits, and the jet pack, I will pick up a board... since even if I do grind em... I'll dump for the marks asap.
Empire Veteran
# 6
06-16-2014, 02:09 PM
The creatures are companions.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 7
06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
You're assuming the monkeys are making their own masks. I took it in the same way that people dress up their pets.
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Career Officer
# 8
06-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Small apes wearing Jason masks? What could be creepy about that?
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lieutenant
# 9
06-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm training my feather monkeys to knife-fight, federation ethics be damned.
Career Officer
# 10
06-20-2014, 06:11 AM
I assumed it grew there as a part of the thing's face. Like how a Blastoise grows two giant water cannons out of its back.