Career Officer
# 11
06-19-2014, 07:15 AM
I overran the finish the first couple of times I ran it, and had to go back for my loser flag, but I wasn't disqualified... just how far are you going after the finish? Like, taking another lap around the island?

(jumping off the board at the last second is the key)
Commander
# 12
06-19-2014, 07:59 AM
And if people say that it is because the STO engine can't handle actual races, there is an easy way around this. Time everyone individually, from crossing the star to crossing the finish, and then send the times, comparing them, and then awarding the rewards based on the time the race was completed in. This would make it more of a time trial than a race, but it is still better than grab the flag.
Ensign
# 13
06-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Anyword on any plans to change this farce called a race to address the very valid issue raised in this thread?

I must agree with the poster who says it's bad enough you have to "grab a flag" after crossing the finish line, to actually finish the "race".

But to be dq'd for going too far beyond the finish line is even worse...to paraphrase them.

In my own not so humble teed off opinion about this race.

It is assinine to put it mildly, to dq someone for going to far beyond the finish line.

For those who ask "how far are you going beyond it".

Once a player crosses the finish line it shouldn't matter how far beyond the line they go.

If they want to circle the island again for a victory lap so what?

They've already crossed the finish line. They shouldn't be disqualified for leaving the track after they've run the race and crossed the finish line.

That is after all why it's called a "finish line" in the first place.

Once you go around the track, and go beyond that point, the race/track is supposed to be complete, finite, at an end, done, over, finished.

It's not really a "finish line" if once you cross it, the track/race isn't actually finsihed and you can be dq'd from the race if you go too far beyond the "finish line".
Captain
# 14
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
I overran the finish the first couple of times I ran it, and had to go back for my loser flag, but I wasn't disqualified... just how far are you going after the finish? Like, taking another lap around the island?

(jumping off the board at the last second is the key)
If you pass the second row of huts in front of the resort, you get DQ'ed. It is not that hard to overrun that far.
Career Officer
# 15
06-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
If you pass the second row of huts in front of the resort, you get DQ'ed. It is not that hard to overrun that far.
Yeah - never reached that point yet; always jump off and run to claim my loser flag. Not that I race often - the 'grab the flag' scenario makes it annoying rather than fun or competitive, and that defeats the object.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 16
06-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Yeah - never reached that point yet; always jump off and run to claim my loser flag. Not that I race often - the 'grab the flag' scenario makes it annoying rather than fun or competitive, and that defeats the object.
I agree. After my first or second race, I started to jump off the board to get the flag.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
06-19-2014, 01:22 PM
There need to rethink the race all together if u ask me this grab the flag stugf just puts me off i stopped doing the winter race because of it n now im sick of it in this race. I wont be joining in with the races any more unless there change it.
Welcome to bugs online were we only fix the bugs you like, and will ignore the ones you hate.
These are the voyages of the USS Farmville. Her 5 year mission is to boldly farm where no one has farmed before.
Say No to ARK
Ensign
# 18
06-19-2014, 04:45 PM
I really hope they keep the flags in the race.
I run a 500 favor board and usually the only way i can place better than a finnish flag,
is to rely on the inexplicable inability of the other racers to grab the flags.
Captain
# 19
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy789 View Post
I really hope they keep the flags in the race.
I run a 500 favor board and usually the only way i can place better than a finnish flag,
is to rely on the inexplicable inability of the other racers to grab the flags.
Which is why they need to separate the racers into different "weight classes" as it were; a stacking for rentals, a stacking for faction boards, and one for every quality inbetween.
Career Officer
# 20
06-19-2014, 08:37 PM
The whole "grab the flag" thing is stupid, but assuming Cryptic can't fix that part of it... at the very least the damn flags should spawn in the SAME place! So 2nd place guy fighting for 1st doesn't get screwed by a flag that spawns out of range and then can't get to it before someone else grabs it.

Or if flags can't spawn in the same location... spawn them in the path the players inertia takes them! But instead, 2nd place spawns to the left side and 3rd spawns in front of the 1st flag closer to the 'finish line'. It's just so retarded.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!