Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanusus View Post
Also you are told right at the very start immediately after the tutorial by the skills guy Quinn sends you to that you CANNOT train skills that don't coincide with your profession. Cryptic answered you in game alrdy. You must have just blew through the mission text telling you that. They don't need to send a dev in here to reanswer that question when already it's plainly addressed in the game.
I didn't blow through the mission text, but I do think you've blown through this thread, because it doesn't seem like you read it carefully before responding. In fact, I've posted that very information on these forums before here (bottom of the page in this link) in this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=107698&page=4

The amusing part being that you yourself posted there just a handful of posts after I did, so you should have seen that I'm obviously aware that Commander Bolt's dialogue made it very clear that captains are only able to train bridge officers who share their career path. Nobody in this thread suggested otherwise, so please try to not put words into my mouth.

What has been advertised, however, was that alternative ways of acquiring these skills for our bridge officers would exist - something you yourself are verifying with your comment about the interviews on training and trading officers. And yet, as you've also observed, it never panned out. And that's left everyone who has mixed ship and captain type wondering if we're completely screwed on this matter, or if a fix is in the works. And to get those answers we definitely *do* need a developer to drop by here and provide some answers. Not "again", but for the first time, because we have yet to ever get any. Otherwise we wouldn't be asking these questions in the first place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I didn't blow through the mission text, but I do think you've blown through this thread, because it doesn't seem like you read it carefully before responding. In fact, I've posted that very information on these forums before here (bottom of the page in this link) in this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=107698&page=4

The amusing part being that you yourself posted there just a handful of posts after I did, so you should have seen that I'm obviously aware that Commander Bolt's dialogue made it very clear that captains are only able to train bridge officers who share their career path. Nobody in this thread suggested otherwise, so please try to not put words into my mouth.

What has been advertised, however, was that alternative ways of acquiring these skills for our bridge officers would exist - something you yourself are verifying with your comment about the interviews on training and trading officers. And yet, as you've also observed, it never panned out. And that's left everyone who has mixed ship and captain type wondering if we're completely screwed on this matter, or if a fix is in the works. And to get those answers we definitely *do* need a developer to drop by here and provide some answers. Not "again", but for the first time, because we have yet to ever get any. Otherwise we wouldn't be asking these questions in the first place.
I apologize geesh. This is NOT the thread I was responding to. I have no clue how my post ended up here. Sorry man that was not meant for you at all. Someone was complaining about not being told about that aspect in ANOTHER thread. These forums are buggy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I believe the following is a complete list of skills (50) that can be obtained for bridge officers by placing the maximum number of points in a particular player skill. They are all Mark-3 versions of:

Attack Pattern Beta
Attack Pattern Omega
Chronitron Mine Barrier
Combat Supply
Cover Shield
Dampening Field
Directed Energy Modulation
Dispersal Pattern Alpha
Eject Warp Plasma
Emergency to Auxiliary
Emergency to Engines
Emergency to Shields
Emergency to Weapons
Engineering Team
Equipment Diagnostics
Extend Shields
Feedback Pulse
Fire at Will
Fire on my Mark
Gravimetric Shift
Gravity Well
Hazard Emitters
Hypospray-Dylovene
Jam Sensors
Leg Sweep
Medical Tricorder
Nanite Health Monitor
Neural Neutralizer
Overwatch
Particle Burst
Phaser Turret Fabrication
Photon Grenade
Photonic Shockwave
Quick Fix
Rapid Fire
Science Team
Scramble Sensors
Shield Generator
Shield Recharge
Sonic Pulse
Stealth Module
Stun Grenade
Support Drone
Suppressing Fire
Tachyon Beam
Tactical Team
Target Optics
Torpedo: High Yield
Tractor Beam
Tricorder Scan

Which of these skills can currently be found on bridge officers? It sounds like most can't.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanusus View Post
Yeah just chiming in here. "Science Team III" is not available on those rare bridge officers.
I've had BO's with sci team 3 and viral matrix 3.
I have trained the skills that let me train boffs in sci team 3, is this maybe the reason I am receiving so many boffs with sci team 3? Just about every candidate I get has it!

I dont have any skills to train Viral Matrix though, but have received Boffs with vm3....

I'm curious how this all works...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safh
I've had BO's with sci team 3 and viral matrix 3.
I have trained the skills that let me train boffs in sci team 3, is this maybe the reason I am receiving so many boffs with sci team 3? Just about every candidate I get has it!

I dont have any skills to train Viral Matrix though, but have received Boffs with vm3....

I'm curious how this all works...
You mentioned that you yourself can train your bridge officers with Science Team 3 because (I assume) you're a science captain who has maxed the Scientist skill? So when you say you have Bridge Officers with the Science Team 3 ability, are those officers that you personally trained, or are they officers that you received as rewards?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
are those officers that you personally trained, or are they officers that you received as rewards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safh
Just about every candidate I get has it!
It comes with new officer candidates very often, think I've had three with it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok, hmm. That directly contradicts what was said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
I have been saying this over and over, in almost every topic where somebody comes up saying "hey I got a tier III skill from a rare BO, so what's the problem?".
So here we go again, yet an other attempt to inform people how the game currently works:

Yes you can get level III skills from rare BOs, quite a couple different ones actually.
However, with the one single exception of Attack Pattern Omega III, you can not get any level III skills at all, through the means of rare BOs, that can be unlocked by players through the player skill tree.

The rank III skills that are found on rare BOs are those that are neither available through the power store on the starbase nor through unlocking by investing skill points. Again, Attack Pattern Omega III is a lonely exception and I actually suggest taking advantage of this while possible. Chances are the availability of this skill through rare BOs will be removed at some point.
I underlined parts of the quote for emphasis. Science Team III is a skill that's unlocked via the player skill table, and apparently it's showing up on Bridge Officer rewards. Is Admiral-Flint still around? Any theories?

And are any other skills from the list a few posts back showing up on Bridge Officer rewards?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-20-2010, 02:44 PM
This, I guess, is on its way to no longer becoming an issue. The latest "Ask Cryptic", which can be found at http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1158 , states that a bridge officer trading system is in the works.

However, at some point it would be appreciated if Cryptic just answered these questions on the forums, rather than allowing one concerned thread after another to be posted, yet remaining silent on the issue because they want to drop the scoop-bomb on us at a later date. I'm not sure if they understand that it's difficult for players to get excited over a fix that is essentially correcting something that was otherwise broken (and promised as a feature all through development). The surprise-factor is a bit lost at that point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
We all know there are certain bridge officer skills that can only be acquired by training particular captain skills to the maximum level. And even then the captain must be of the same career-type as the bridge officer to train them.

For captains who choose a ship-type that doesn't match their tactical, engineer, or science careers, this poses an obvious problem. The result is a crew that lacks access to roughly 60 skills of the rank-III variety because their captains simply can't teach the officers any of those skills (because the career-type of the highest ranked bridge officers doesn't match that of the captain's).

All through beta there was a rumor floating around alternative methods of acquiring these skills for officers/captains in this situation would exist. That the skills would either show up on uncommon or rare officer drops, or that other captains would be able to train officers and then trade them to other players. None of these appear to be true, although even the manual itself implies that this is possible.

What so many of us are looking for is an answer, and why there have been so many threads on the topic at this point without any kind of response.. I simply don't understand. Because the questions are really very simple: Do alternative methods of acquiring these particular rank-III skills exist? If so, what are they? And if the feature hasn't been implemented yet, when can we expect to have access to that particular functionality?

Please just provide us with the answers. This is really important to a lot of players. It's a huge factor in our career/ship choice, and all we're really asking is for solid information on how a major aspect of this game works.
You chose to min/max by mixing your profession and ship type, and now you're complaining because you can't min/max to the max?

Choices have consequences.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatic
You chose to min/max by mixing your profession and ship type, and now you're complaining because you can't min/max to the max?

Choices have consequences.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
It's interesting when you describe not pairing ship and profession type as min/max'ing, when others frequently call it "creating a hybrid" or even "gimping yourself". I think most would say that creating a character who does one thing very well (like a tactical captain in an escort dealing damage) is the true definition of min/maxing.

However, that's not important and I'm not interested in quibbling over definitions. I will point out, however, that you are either confused or misinformed. The complaint is based on the fact that this particular problem we're discussing was never supposed to be a "consequence", as you put it, to begin with. It only became a consequence because certain features that were discussed during development didn't make it to the live game. It's not because the ideas were tossed out, it's because they ran out of development time.

The effect of this being that it left several players in a pinch, myself included. Every time this question came up someone would respond "Oh, well you can just train and trade officers between players". That may have been the plan, but everyone soon discovered the ability to do this was missing from the game.

Fortunately it looks like the feature is still being worked on, so it would appear the problem is being fixed. I'm guessing you're disappointed to hear that based on your negative reaction to this thread. For those of us who were concerned about this issue, I suppose we just have to wait for the officer exchange feature discussed in the latest "Ask Cryptic" newsletter to surface. In the meanwhile, you might want to work on your e-rage and do some of that growing you recommended yourself.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 AM.