Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Email to Cryptic explaining why I cancelled my account:

Viral Matrix and Sub Neucleonic Beam are grossly overpowered and must be taken out of the PvP game. In T1-T3 play I won and lost about half of the time each and it seemed balanced enough and FUN (as a Klingon player).

Viral Matrix having no self counter is awfully overpowered and Sub Neucleonic Beam is even worse and has no counter. Premade Team play makes no difference. Klingons will just roll Science Captains and have a boring MezFest to counter Federation play.

These are not Science abilities/skills, they are Magic Spells right out of WoW and ****. Get rid of these Mezmerize spells. They don't belong in STO.

Since starting T4 I haven't won a single match and it's not because I don't know how to play; I'm not a Science Captain in a Science Vessel is the reason, and I choose not to be one. The PvP game is no longer fun to play with these overpowered and FUN BREAKING abilities/skills.

Again, whereas the game was fun before, even when I lost, the game is NOT FUN now. Now I just sit back as my console grays out and watch my ship get blown up. Your fan base, if it's going to die in PvP space combat, wants to die fighting, not watching the screen passively.

When you remove these Fun Breaking "Spells" from the PvP game send me an email and I'll resubscribe.

****EDIT 1 Kindly note that this was a response to Cryptic's "Why are you leaving the game" question. I felt I had to "get it all out" and not be very concerned about how I "let loose." I don't know if I adequately expressed my feeling of frustration regarding the 22-25 second "Can't Do Anything" skill, if you wish to call it a skill. I realize I could have worded it better and given more concrete examples but I was out of cement (unglued) and decided to give them the bricks and have them sort it out.

**** EDIT 2 Since Jackalope from Cryptic Studios Team has paid this thread a visit, I thought it would be good form to resubscribe to STO. I do so out of courtesy, and for no ulterior reason. I was also advised by a fleet mate that it is better to post about correcting a perceived problem without any remarks about quitting the game. I apologize for breaking the forum etiquette regarding that.

****EDIT 3

After reading the replies to my OP (and cooling down as well) I regret posting such a severe and absolute sounding diatribe. I would change it into something that sounds less like something a child who has had his candly taken away would say, but several people have copied parts or all of it in their responses.

Hopefully this third edit (or addition) will suffice. The above mentioned skills certainly need adjustments, however, removing them from the game may not be the best solution. I'm still concerned about the fun factor and PUGs. Implementing a Voice Chat system in the game would go a long way to make PUGs more competitive and fun to play.

I also apologize for posts I made inside the thread while I was hot headed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
This is a new game thing.

You would think with all the pvp games that have ever come out, that any new developer would realize that "losing control of the character is bad". but they make that mistake over and over.

There's no game-killing mistake in pvp worse than CC, seriously. One shot kills too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine

You would think with all the pvp games that have ever come out, that any new developer would realize that "losing control of the character is bad". but they make that mistake over and over.

There's no game-killing mistake in pvp worse than CC, seriously. One shot kills too.
Indeed, it's baffling that these mechanics make it in, it's like the developers (of all recent mmo's not just STO) don't even play games.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the support, Meat_Machine.

Hopefully Cryptic will realize how UNFUN these "spells" are.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts you have made in the past, whether we agreed or disagreed.

Though I'm pretty sure I mostly agreed with you
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Attack Pattern Omega prevents it from effecting you. Also, I think it's fine at it is, since the lowly fast recharging science team I counters both and any ship can have science team 1. They just need to make the visual SFX for effected ships more noticeable so that the support ships actually remove the buffs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine

I think the reason for them was to act as hold in space. This is a very typical mechanic in most mmos. However, I feel it's still overpowered. It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least heal yourself through the process. If they allwed that, then I think the skill would be ok.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotson
I think the reason for them was to act as hold in space. This is a very typical mechanic in most mmos. However, I feel it's still overpowered. It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least heal yourself through the process. If they allwed that, then I think the skill would be ok.
Heh dotson. Anyhow, holds in pvp are teh suhk.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotson
Should break on damage, as in WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotti
Attack Pattern Omega prevents it from effecting you. Also, I think it's fine at it is, since the lowly fast recharging science team I counters both and any ship can have science team 1. They just need to make the visual SFX for effected ships more noticeable so that the support ships actually remove the buffs.
I sympathize with your post, but these two spells are simply FUN BREAKING for me and I'd bet 95% of average PvPers.

I'm not going to hope that in a hectic PUG fight someone decides to throw Science Team 1 on me or APO.

And I can't have APO since no Klingon Cruiser has a Lt. Commander level Tactical BOF slot at any tier.

T4 play is just NOT FUN.

In T5 I would prefer the Klingon Cruiser, but now AM FORCED to take Carrier for APO.

So they throw VM on me and I counter with Science Team 1--when they fix it so I can do so (using it when my opponent wants me to use it).

They throw SubNuc Beam on me and I have no counter. And I can't do the same to them unless I'm a Science Captain.

What a waste of time.

No thanks. These are FUN BREAKING spells.

Give us something to help resistance or whatever. These two "spells" are not fun for most PvPers. Being taken out of the fight and passively watching as I get blown up is not fun.

Blow me up all the time, I don't care, but it's just not fun when my console goes blank. That I will not tolerate. I voted with my money.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I have not experianced subneuclionic beam yet but i know that Attack Pattern Omega defeats viral matrix totally effectivly.

Also these jamming abilities force teamwork and communication and while some ppl are either unable or unwilling to work in units and communicate i do not think that removing these mechanics to cater to them is a good idea as it drastically lowers the teamwork and skill required to be successful in pvp.

Unfortunatly as with most games the poorly skilled and lazy players who require something to point at and say "thats why i lose" tend to outnumber those who are willing to learn, communicate and work in units.