Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 my bad
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
sorry I guess I was wrong in all areas. Proceed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Mainly for the interaction. Im sure its only a matter of time before diehards instill some self imposed big death on their own characters. Trek lore had several fatalities reversed .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
This isnt meant as a dig or a troll just a question
How do you reconcile the lack of any kind of death penalty or escape mechanic in role playing?
Other games have things that allow you to explain away the death mechanic. Like the 400 lb gorilla, WoW, the run back to body or rez. This game doesnt seem to lend itself to RP easily as the combat aspects seem to be more "simulator" designed, with the 10 sec respawn thing. Like the space combat is a star trek flavored spaceship simulator etc.
How do you reconcile losing your ship - with all hands - only to have it reappear in the same area a few seconds later? Holographic ships and quantum singularities only work as explanations so long before you have to face the fact that you and your crew are effectively immotral and this kinda kills the suspense
Dekar doesn't die...

your arguement is invalid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Another possible solution to yoru immersion problem would be to die less
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Trying to roleplay death in a MMO is doomed to fail.

Just saying... Even if you have some type of resurrection it gets a bit... Umm... Every day sort of thing.
Chat be roleplaying to get a cup of coffee... That sort of thing. Happens all the time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
This isnt meant as a dig or a troll just a question
How do you reconcile the lack of any kind of death penalty or escape mechanic in role playing?
Other games have things that allow you to explain away the death mechanic. Like the 400 lb gorilla, WoW, the run back to body or rez. This game doesnt seem to lend itself to RP easily as the combat aspects seem to be more "simulator" designed, with the 10 sec respawn thing. Like the space combat is a star trek flavored spaceship simulator etc.
How do you reconcile losing your ship - with all hands - only to have it reappear in the same area a few seconds later? Holographic ships and quantum singularities only work as explanations so long before you have to face the fact that you and your crew are effectively immotral and this kinda kills the suspense
Tenporal causality loop? Read that on the forums somewhere....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-12-2010, 10:22 AM
My solution to the lack of a death penalty: don't die. And if you do, don't tell anyone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
My solution to the lack of a death penalty: don't die. And if you do, don't tell anyone.
Exactly...
its good someone gets it...


Dekar doesn't die..
He has temporary amnesia until he gets his revenge...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Star Trek has always had a minimal element of all things mystic. There are, of course, notable exceptions, but by and large, Star Trek is big about science. That means that mystical solutions to your problem are not going to be considered (i.e. running back to your body as a ghost). EVE had clones, but do you really want to have that be the issue? You are simply a clone with clone crewmates and a cookie-cutter ship.

In an MMO, you have to take these things with a grain of salt. And I am not intending to change this thread's topic, but I see no reason a death penalty would solve this issue for you. With or without, you still just saw you and your folks explode and then re-appear elsewhere in tip-top shape. A temporary debuff won't help that fit into role-play better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Trying to roleplay death in a MMO is doomed to fail.

Just saying... Even if you have some type of resurrection it gets a bit... Umm... Every day sort of thing.
Chat be roleplaying to get a cup of coffee... That sort of thing. Happens all the time.
This is illogical... you do realize you are in the RP area?
Quote:
Ten Forward
Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited.
Gonna be kinda hard to start up a RP deal if im getting flamed for RPing In the part of the forums youre supposed to bring that TO
This seems more the off topic chat forum than anything actually lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 PM.