Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I really enjoyed DS9. However, imo, it ran its course. 7 years is a good number and longer than most series run these days. If anything, I'd love to see a new ST series before I'd ressurrect an old one. Just my $0.02
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Being that the original cast of DS9 could never be reunited (imo) I think an animated series similar to how clone wars was done, would be the only possibility of bringing DS9 back.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Greetings Captains,

Why should I watch Star Trek on TV, when I can be a starship captain in STO? Even Data said "Television no longer survives as a significant form of entertainment" by 2040.

Reference "The Neutral Zone" TNG first season
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
With the release of the movie last year, I think there're gonna be stickin' to Abrams' timeline for the next couple o' years movie wise. But more than likely, it'd be in the runnin' for a TV series. I'm a Voyager fan also, but what I've seen of DS9, I've liked it.
Actually, at some point, I was expecting a Deep Space Nine film.

To me, when the TOS crew of films were retired, they went to TNG. That suggested, to me, that at least one film for DS9 would be made, to at least resolve some hanging threads left by the series finale. From there, maybe a Voyager movie or two. Etc. Etc.

I am so-so with Deep Space Nine for many reasons I won't elaborate on (but I like it better than Voyager or "Enterprise").

Still, at this juncture, it is as you've said regarding the Abrhams re-boot. They are going to stick to that. This may sound pessimistic to many of you, but I really do not see them returning to the "prime timeline" ever. There are at least 2 more Abrhams films to come out in however many years it would take (10 years? They are on hiatus right now and haven't cranked up production just yet. Five to Six years may be what we are looking at.)

From there, I am only seeing most "average" people (non-Trekkie/Trekkers) being comfortable with the Abrhams vision. Perhaps another movie set in the Abrhams universe or a TV show?

I am not saying it is not impossible to run some sort of TV series (based on the "prime Timeline") during this time and get away with it, but many folks and studios like to focus and put their "eggs in one basket" as it were. I'll admit anything can happen in the future to surprise me from this notion, but I am not seeing it "in the cards". I still think, even though THEY are aging, the best chance for another "Prime Timeline" movie is yet another TNG excursion even though the last one killed the franchise. Again, hedging my bets, SOMEONE could decide to move forward and finally MAKE that DS9 movie to "move on" from "Nemesis"...but again, that is optimistic speculation on my part for your reading benefit.

That is not to say something "minor" could not be made; like mini-web-episodes.

In lieu of this, quite frankly, Star Trek Online is the best representation we are going to get of the "Prime Timeline", canon or not. I think most projects will have the best leverage if they spring off the players and fan-base of STO and THAT may make a new series about a new Prime Timeline.

Again, speculation on my part, but I think that is where we stand today.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressor27 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the significance of Star Trek's 7 year cap?
By the time a show gets to its 6th or 7th season, the salaries of the regular cast can become a major part of the budget (what with regular raises and so on). Also, in the day, when a series got 5 seasons or so in its library, the syndication package was pretty well guaranteed to make money, so you hit diminishing returns territory with additional seasons. (The extra cost of more episodes doesn't help the bottom line when you resell the show for syndication.)

I'm not sure how the economics works out nowadays, but that was the story in the 80s and 90s.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowover View Post
Being that the original cast of DS9 could never be reunited (imo) I think an animated series similar to how clone wars was done, would be the only possibility of bringing DS9 back.
ok, the original cast of DS9 could never make a movie or series again but what about DS9 25 years later, only a few of the of the original cast, for example the young ones.......jake, rom, ezri, julian, kira.........

you can do so much with pc today, it would be great to go ahead. why going into past with kirk and spock??? I wanna see how its going on with the federation.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
DS9 was okay, but I'd rather see them bring back "2 Kirks and a Khan."

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chi...ks-a-khan.html
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Im sorry to say I dont think the world of Star Trek will ever be advanced. We will get more TOS era alt history JJ movies (which is a good thing, of course I would much rather a TV series that continues after the events of nemesis/Romulus and Spock thing), maybe an incredibly long shot at a TOS alt history TV series. But I'm guessing the story/cannon of star trek we know ends at nemesis (i dont count books, only TV and film).