While clean, the new UI's individual mission bars are FAR too large. Previously, I could look at a list of up to and over a dozen missions on my laptop's 1366x768 screen. Now I fit 4-5. The requirements box also tends to overflow its very small size, where the old one was scrollable.
Personally, I find the old one more functional and usable, with far less scrolling up and down to find assignments. If you plan to continue with the current one, either scale it down significantly or make it scalable.
Season 9.5 has introduced substantial changes to the doff system. Here is my initial feedback.
1. You've drastically reduced the number of assignments available from exploration clusters. In each exploration cluster, assignments used to be available under "Current Map", "Personal", and "Department Heads". Now, each cluster offers only one tab with fewer assignments than available under "Current Map".
2. I can no longer filter by quality, traits, or specialization when an planning assignment.
3. Why do I need to see crafting skill when I'm planning a normal doff assignment?
4. Assignments under "Current Map" and "Personal" are no longer organized by commendation category. This makes it hard to look for assignments belonging to a specific category. The same applies to department heads who offer more than one category of assignment. The same also applies to the new exploration cluster tab.
Update: As of July 10, 2014, categories have been added back to the assignment list, but the UI elements still look too large and clunky. Can we get the option for a more compact UI?
8. In the old UI, even before planning an assignment, I could see the specialization requirements as well as the traits which influence critical success, success, failure, and disaster. In the new UI, I have to hover my mouse over icons in the assignment list to read the specialization requirements, and the mouseover tooltips don't show the traits.
Now, if you assign a doff to one slot and assign the same doff to another slot, the first slot will be cleared. However, the selection window does not indicate that a doff has already been slotted, so the user may try to select a doff that he has already assigned to another slot. For example, in the screenshot below, one cannot tell that Toss has already been assigned to the first slot.
11. The [i]'s next to the bars for critical success, success, failure, and disaster serve no function. They are used in crafting to show the mouseover tooltips for potential outcomes, but they serve no function in the doff UI.
Furthermore, you are using dark blue for critical success and dark red for disaster against a black background. The contrast is rather low. Consider switching to lighter shades of blue and red.
12. The "Clear Slot" button is always grayed out, so the only way to clear a slot is to assign the doff in that slot to another slot. Of course, if the assignment has only one slot, then there is no way to clear it.
No offense, but the new DOFF UI is simply horrible. It's big, clunky, and searching for a specific assignment is a lot more difficult. Also, it's difficult to search for a specific commendations mission. For example exploration, military, espionage.... because it's all together, and only the small picture can differentiate this.
Finally, when you select your DOFF, currently it's a nightmare. I can't see their traits, quickly search for the ones I'm looking for (using filters), etc.... All I have a is a list of DOFF, with absolutely no informations except for the rarity, name and +X crafting skill.
I'm sorry that I can't provide any constructive criticism right now... but this is utterly ridiculous. You have killed the duty officer system or you are in the processing of dumbing it down so badly that it is not of any interest anymore.
I am absolutely astonished....
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?
Join Date: Sep 2009 - I want my changeling lava lamp!
Doff updates: Overall, I'm ok with the new UI for doff missions. A little getting used to where the information went, but I'll probably adapt to it. Sorting doffs by effectiveness for each spot is nice, though I'd like to still be able to see the highlighted pertinent traits when looking through options, not just for the slotted doff. It also seems this slot options system has replaced the old 'department head suggestions', though it can't be turned off by that toggle.
Just testing with Risian bird assignments, it seems Biologists still increase success at the expense of crit. Since success boost isn't even shown on the new UI, is it just going to be removed from all doff assignments? Or will it remain a hidden menace, only noticeable by looking closely at the available doff order or comparing crit chance?
Some odd things: it is possible to select the same doff in several different slots. The assignment can't start, and the crit chance suffers, but it's not immediately clear that the problem is the same doff. For people with duplicates this could get confusing.