Lt. Commander
# 31
02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
no. just make the game harder. I don't want to have to make it harder myself by hitting a slider. unless it gives me significantly better loot than the easier mode. but then everyone would just do it anyway, so whats the point in adding it
This explicitly isn't about making the game harder or easier. For some people ground vs space is harder; and other still don't want to pew pew constantly--or some do.

This is basically to let people in the half of the game that isn't designed Episodes play it Their Way, which also fits in the whole Trek thing. Not everyone wants to be a Kirk. Some want to be a Picard.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildknight View Post
i am sorry but i must disagree.

because anyone who wants to level would just do exploration and nothing else, since there is no combat there would be faster xp gain
Actually, exploration is slower leveling than hammering out Episodes, and the non-combat exploration stuff -- go scan xyz -- has the smallest XP gain of all.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Actually, exploration is slower leveling than hammering out Episodes, and the non-combat exploration stuff -- go scan xyz -- has the smallest XP gain of all.
i have a feeling that this would lead to farming...
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowltief View Post
i have a feeling that this would lead to farming...
Farming what?

We can already farm exploration missions trivially. Don't like the one you're on? Warp out, hit the next anomaly. Exploration missions are already the slow/steady/constant experience; you can just park yourself in the Arcrusis Arm region and bang it out all day.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-13-2010, 05:39 PM
bump, bump, bump
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
I think everyone is giving up on STO too early--it's not even two weeks in.
Well, while I'm not giving up, there certainly is quite a lack of content right now. There's really nothing to explore. The exploration zones just have a handful of different missions in them, and most of them are similar or the same as the ones in previous tiers. Bleh.

As far as normal missions go, there's not that much of them either, and of those the vast majority are similar to those exploration ones - generic.

To give a text-based reference to a certain popular online meme....

<New Mission Available, yay!>
<Enter New Mission System>
<Mission objective: Defeat 5 Enemy Squadrons>
<FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-------->

You can kill those 5 damn enemy squadrons only so many times in a random generic mission before your brain melts.

There's certainly some excellent story missions in the game, but still, there should be way, way more. It's not that time-consuming to make missions unless their tools are badly done. As such, just have a decent writer team work on good plots for them. The DS9 area was probably the best overall for story missions.

Now, I do indeed realize that this is only 12 days after release, but many MMO players play quite intensively, and even so the fact that with just a tad over 4 days /played time I'm out of "unique" content and have had to endure dozens upon dozens of totally generic, boring missions, the lack of content is quite disheartening. I only started playing WoW shortly after TBC launch, but there certainly was more leveling content in the 1-60 range than I could complete without ending up doing greyed out quests. And I think most of those quests were in at launch already. Combine that with the fact that it took me nprobably around two weeks of /played to even get to 60 on my first high level character (of course, less on others) compared to the 4 in STO... Well, all I can say is I hope Cryptic adds some new, good content and soon. Somehow I don't think the upcoming Borg patch will take very long the play through either.

It won't be so bad if I can time my subscriptions properly with the times new content is released, but inbetween content releases there's not really much to keep playing for. Then again, I suppose that is true for other games as well at least to some extent, but that doesn't stop me from wishing for more content for this particular game.

Oops, I suppose this rant went slightly off topic
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Bumping for the sake of Trekness
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih
Well...

<snip>

...I suppose this rant went slightly off topic
But all really awesome points, to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't be terribly opposed, although I think if they just provide more variety to it (it's already pretty good, but after a couple months it'll be in need of a lot more), we wouldn't even need a slider.

Anyways, slider: why not?

P.S. Consider it bumped
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
For the sake of clarity, the genesis engine is not a game feature. It is a tool used in house to generate planetary systems that are then finished out by hand and dropped into the "bag of semi randomness" that is the incomplete exploration feature. I'm sure it is also used to create planetary systems for prim content as well.