Captain
# 1 Are Borg Immortal?
06-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Could the Borg be immortal because of their implants and nanoprobes that can maintain their implants and organs? I don't think this has ever been discussed on screen so what are your opinions on it?

GORNZILLA
Empire Veteran
# 2
06-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Individual drones can die and be replaced. The Borg as a whole may possiblly be immortal inside establish Trek canon.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 3
06-22-2014, 09:24 AM
while an individual unit could have mechanical and biological parts replaced indefinatly, its questionable as to whether its the same unit.

its almost certain that once a drone has had all its original neural tissue replaced, that it as a being would be 'dead'.
Cryptic.
Figure out and address the players path of least resistance to reward. this one thing is THE consistent factor undermining all your efforts. be that crafting, raids or starbase projects.
Captain
# 4
06-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't know about immortal, but they are certainly long-lived. Canon stories in Voyager have shown Seven's father as a Borg (in the scene where Seven and the Queen square off), apparently without aging, and the story where Seven reveals that Borg have the ability to revive a dead drone. That is seemingly in competition with what Picard's team witnessed where drones removed components of a fallen drone, allowing the body to disintegrate. Why not remove, repair, and revive the body?
Career Officer
# 5
06-22-2014, 09:30 AM
immortal, no. when the borg consciousness is gone the borg are no more.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Empire Veteran
# 6
06-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
I don't know about immortal, but they are certainly long-lived. Canon stories in Voyager have shown Seven's father as a Borg (in the scene where Seven and the Queen square off), apparently without aging, and the story where Seven reveals that Borg have the ability to revive a dead drone. That is seemingly in competition with what Picard's team witnessed where drones removed components of a fallen drone, allowing the body to disintegrate. Why not remove, repair, and revive the body?
Well, perhaps they saw further repair of that drone has imperfect and it was better to scrap it. Of course this was before the more modern take on the Borg.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 7
06-22-2014, 09:46 AM
1. The borg repair drones if it's not deemed to be a waste of resources
2. borg regeneration allows for long life
3. the conscious of the drone and all its experiences up to the time it is disconnected is always preserved in the borg (7 of 9 established this in canon).

So, while the body itself is long lasting, the knowledge, the essence of that drone will be there as long as the borg is there.
Take this game far too seriously for my liking roleplayers. You agree, do not, hmm? Yes, hmmm.
Captain
# 8
06-22-2014, 10:54 AM
I think the nanoprobes can repair ageing for a long time, but It's likely they will decay eventually, else the Borg would be growing exponentially.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Career Officer
# 9
06-22-2014, 11:05 AM
borg before janeway commited genocide were on the order of trillions. if left unchecked they would of had the galaxy in a few hundred years.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 10
06-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
I think the nanoprobes can repair ageing for a long time, but It's likely they will decay eventually, else the Borg would be growing exponentially.
I think they are growing exponentially. That's how they control almost an entire quadrant.

The Borg should seem long lived because they can use the combined power of the collective to heal damaged drones and use nanoprobes to repair injuries and revive the dead.

With all those abilities it would seem that they would be able to maintain individual drones for quite a long time.

GORNZILLA