Lt. Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 220
# 21
06-23-2014, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
immortal, no. when the borg consciousness is gone the borg are no more.
So basically the best way to get rid of the borg would be to get it to start a massive argument with itself
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 442
# 22
06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Seven tells her that when a drone dies, their memory lives on; as long as the collective exists, every drone will live on
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Impe..._%28episode%29

so technically the drones do die but their memory live on forever in the collective.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
# 23
06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcastleton View Post
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Impe..._%28episode%29

so technically the drones do die but their memory live on forever in the collective.
Yes. I actually wrote a story a long time ago for a little mini-series where they end up discovering a very, very old borg drone.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,385
# 24
06-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belidos View Post
So basically the best way to get rid of the borg would be to get it to start a massive argument with itself
why not start an arguement about circular logic, one thats so simple and confounding where you think you got the the answer in many different directions and fail to realize the basic point of each answer being the same there by coming back to the question.

picard wanted to introduce a puzzle into the borg consciousness though hugh in order to overload the borg connection when the entire collective try to solve the puzzle. it could just be that simple it would be crazy enough to work.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,208
# 25
06-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Being that there are biological lifeforms that are (esentially) immortal- without technological augmentation- I would assume that this would be something that the Borg (among other species) could master.

In fact, given the technological advancements of a few hundred years, I believe that humans could essentially become ageless (a better term than immortal, because you can always be crushed by a boulder). We're just not that far off this kind of technology.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
# 26
06-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
Being that there are biological lifeforms that are (esentially) immortal- without technological augmentation- I would assume that this would be something that the Borg (among other species) could master.

In fact, given the technological advancements of a few hundred years, I believe that humans could essentially become ageless (a better term than immortal, because you can always be crushed by a boulder). We're just not that far off this kind of technology.
The correct term is Biological Immortality. There are quite a few creatures that exhibit this.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,208
# 27
06-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
The correct term is Biological Immortality. There are quite a few creatures that exhibit this.
Well, there you are. We've got a term for everything nowadays.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,833
# 28
06-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Brain transplants are technically possible, but require a few things.

A donor whole body, which is controversial because of the ethical concern that a whole body would better be used harvesting multiple organs to be transplanted into more than one patient.

The ability to repair the break in the spinal cord required for mobility. This is less controversial if we are using a brain transplant in a quadripeligic patient -- since their quality of life would essentially be the same.

If we are able to make such breakthroughs in medical science, it is possible we could simply clone ourselves, and transplant our brains into newer, younger bodies surgically.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,524
# 29
06-23-2014, 08:39 PM
So, you're telling me all those Elite Tactical Drones I shot in KGE aren't really dead?

Does this mean I have to go and shoot them all again? :::Sighs:::
"I wil not fear. Fear is the Little Killer. Fear is the Mind Death. I will face my Fear head on. To let it wash over me. And when it is gone, I shall remain."
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
# 30
06-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
why not start an arguement about circular logic, one thats so simple and confounding where you think you got the the answer in many different directions and fail to realize the basic point of each answer being the same there by coming back to the question.

picard wanted to introduce a puzzle into the borg consciousness though hugh in order to overload the borg connection when the entire collective try to solve the puzzle. it could just be that simple it would be crazy enough to work.
I feel that they never really explained properly in that episode just WHY the Borg would care to devote ever-increasing resources to solving the puzzle--what was the "bait" that would make the Collective give it a high priority instead of just giving up on it? It would have to promise some sort of "acquire at all costs" information (like how the Borg want to acquire the knowledge for safe handling of Omega).
How many Starfleet Engineers does it take to exchange an Anti-positronic Photon Emitter?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.