Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
maybe they should write it out backwards... In Klingon!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
11-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Did anyone else notice that several questions could have been answered in the FAQ?
Yes. What really threw me was how, after Craig explained the whole "you play the captain, you control the starship -- your bridge crew are NPC pets" thing, later on, the interviewer asks how you handle it when `your helmsman' has to log off in the middle of a mission.

Craig knew his end of things, but the interviewer seemed a little out of synch ...

Still, some new tidbits of info confirming suspected game procedures, so its all good.

KOS
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
If you use EVE as an example, 90% of the new pilots go like crazy to get into a battle ship.

Thier skills barely cover a crusier, and they lose their BS in a few days.

I fear this will happen here also
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
11-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Yes. What really threw me was how, after Craig explained the whole "you play the captain, you control the starship -- your bridge crew are NPC pets" thing, later on, the interviewer asks how you handle it when `your helmsman' has to log off in the middle of a mission.

Craig knew his end of things, but the interviewer seemed a little out of synch ...
He was probably discussing in hypotheticals, but it might be that a certain user could be assigned temporarily as a helmsman, first officer, etc. of a larger ship during a joint assignment.

Eg. "Character X, you are appointed to be (insert position here) under Character Y for the duration of this mission. -Starfleet Command"

Or something like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
The part about either upgrading the ship or moving onto to a new class doesn't get me particularly excited, since the answer is vague enough that it can be used to accurately describe the ship progression system in Star Wars Galaxies.

i.e. the system will allow you to hold onto your Akira (the ship mentioned by a previous poster) for a little longer, but it wouldn't be a smart idea to hold onto it indefinitely.

For instance, in Galaxies the progression system goes something to the effect of (I'm improvising)

Z-95 & lvl 1 equipment --> Y-wing ---- > level 2 equipment -----> Longprobe Y-wing level 3 equipment ----> X-wing and lvl 4 equipment

Thus, at the time you're unlocking the X-wing, you might go ahead and choose to stick with the Longprobe Y-wing and deck it out with lvl 4 equipment if it's more conducive to you're playstyle and still do just fine, but there's no way that you're still going to be using the Z-95, you can't effectively equip a Z-95 with the better equipment.

Likewise, in STO (again I'm improvising as far as the tech tree goes) you might be able to hold onto your Norway class when you're unlocking the Akira, and bypass using the Akira, but you're probably not going to be holding onto the Norway when it comes time to unlock the Sovereign, and you probably won't be able to make use of the Norway nearly as effectively as the Sovereign.

Also, Jack mentioned a while back that ships will have different performances, and the example given was that the Galaxy class would be well rounded, while the Defiant will be more of an offensive specialist but weaker defensively. I don't know that we'll be able to alter these basic characteristics. For instance, I don't think we'll be able to modify the Defiant such that it has Galaxy class performance in a Defiant class chassis.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
The length was good but the recycled old screenshot felt demeaning. It's 2008 guys, the PrintScrn button has been around longer than I have.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
If you use EVE as an example, 90% of the new pilots go like crazy to get into a battle ship.

Thier skills barely cover a crusier, and they lose their BS in a few days.

I fear this will happen here also
I would think the exact opposite would be the case, that it would be less likely to happen in STO, given everything we have heard so far....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
The part about either upgrading the ship or moving onto to a new class doesn't get me particularly excited, since the answer is vague enough that it can be used to accurately describe the ship progression system in Star Wars Galaxies.

i.e. the system will allow you to hold onto your Akira (the ship mentioned by a previous poster) for a little longer, but it wouldn't be a smart idea to hold onto it indefinitely.

For instance, in Galaxies the progression system goes something to the effect of (I'm improvising)

Z-95 & lvl 1 equipment --> Y-wing ---- > level 2 equipment -----> Longprobe Y-wing level 3 equipment ----> X-wing and lvl 4 equipment

Thus, at the time you're unlocking the X-wing, you might go ahead and choose to stick with the Longprobe Y-wing and deck it out with lvl 4 equipment if it's more conducive to you're playstyle and still do just fine, but there's no way that you're still going to be using the Z-95, you can't effectively equip a Z-95 with the better equipment.

Likewise, in STO (again I'm improvising as far as the tech tree goes) you might be able to hold onto your Norway class when you're unlocking the Akira, and bypass using the Akira, but you're probably not going to be holding onto the Norway when it comes time to unlock the Sovereign, and you probably won't be able to make use of the Norway nearly as effectively as the Sovereign.

Also, Jack mentioned a while back that ships will have different performances, and the example given was that the Galaxy class would be well rounded, while the Defiant will be more of an offensive specialist but weaker defensively. I don't know that we'll be able to alter these basic characteristics. For instance, I don't think we'll be able to modify the Defiant such that it has Galaxy class performance in a Defiant class chassis.
Here's the thing, especially to your last point; I don't think people are going to WANT to do that sort of thing. If you wanted a Galaxy type performance, then wouldn't you logically go after a Galaxy?

I don't think anybody here is expecting that they will make any ship in the game do everything else that any other ship in the game can do (what would be the point of having other ships then?) but rather I think people are hoping that they won't be forced, either by hard code or by necessity, to change to a "bigger" ship right away. There are things that the smaller ships can do better than the larger ships (to make it real simple) and I think most of us are just hoping that the game doesn't fall into a "bigger = better" mindset, and so far it appears to be avoiding that pretty well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
11-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Where is Skewed and Reviewed based out of? I'm getting the feeling from the comments on the site that they are in Seattle, Washington.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Not much new info but I do like all the new info I read about.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.