Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 51
11-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
CZ: In 2409, most of the major characters have retired or moved on. We’re exploring ways to involve some of the actors from the films and series in the game, but they might not be playing “their” characters.
I think this is going to be awesome. We might not see our favorite heros but maybe decendents or some different form of them (holo-recreations). I figured this works around some sort royalties.

Quote:
CZ: In space, each player is the captain of their own ship. So if they drop connection, it’s like a player logging out of any MMO. On an away team, if a player drops out of your team you can replace him or her with one of your bridge officers.
I could see this working in an emergency beam out situation but hows this work in space? Does my group members ship just warp away?

All repetitive questions aside, good to see any kind of interview.
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Nothing really new in this interview, IMO. But I think that this may actually be the first MMO that wont have for once that terrible grind, that a lot of us hates so much. I say this because from what I see, the exploration end of this game will feature different missions each time we log on and for this I am truly thankful. I can never be bored with visiting new worlds that offer meeting new species, finding new resources or technologies, responding to distress calls, or even finding that odd derelict that needs to be checked out.

This is one MMO I can safely say, I'm really looking forward to playing.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-21-2008, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
... don't think people are going to WANT to do that sort of thing. If you wanted a Galaxy type performance, then wouldn't you logically go after a Galaxy?...
I respectfully disagree. While I personally would go with the Galaxy class (if I end up wanting a ship that performs like one), there appear to be plenty of people that are hell bent on acquiring ships like the Miranda and Akira and holding onto them as long as possible by refitting them. It appears to me that quite a few people think that they're going to be able to refit a Miranda or Excelsior class ship such that it can perform just as well as the Galaxy or Sovereign classes, which is just wishful thinking in my opinion.

Personally, my favorite ship is the Steamrunner, and if the ship is included in STO, then I'll surely choose it. However, I am not so attached to the Steamrunner that I would be unwilling to pass it up for a less elegant (IMO) ship that performs better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
...I think most of us are just hoping that the game doesn't fall into a "bigger = better" mindset, and so far it appears to be avoiding that pretty well.
But I do think that is the general trend that we'll see, with the Defiant and Miranda classes being the only real notable outliers. I wouldn't be surprised that - as far as cruisers go - the progression might go something like:

small one man ship ----> Miranda class ---> saber class ---> Norway ---- > Steamrunner ----> Nebula ----> Intrepid ---> Galaxy

**I'm not sure that all these ships will make it into the game, and I've not included any of the new ships Cryptic is introducing because I don't know their class identifications and can't speculate on how they will perform**

With the general trend being a correlation between size and power. Again, there would have to be some exceptions, such as the Miranda being outperformed by the smaller Saber, and the Excelsior being outperformed by the smaller Defiant.

The trend can definately be seen in the Klingons though, with the better ships in the ST series definitely being of larger size.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-21-2008, 05:08 AM
at this point, i should note, with some bias that one of my favorite ship designs is the akira, it think according to lore, an akira would open a whoop all on a galaxy.

not intended to induce flame, just given that ship class some props.

i mean, i read that it has so many freakin torp tubes, that some of them are actually arc'ed for dedicated port and starboard targets. thats crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Things are starting to look up a bit .. I can't wait for Beta announcements.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBuzzard
Things are starting to look up a bit .. I can't wait for Beta announcements.
only 6 months till that prolly.

not too bad, seeing as how some people have been waiting 10 years for this. i'm not one of them, but i definitely feel their pain...
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-21-2008, 06:16 AM
I did the original interview for the game years back for the old developer. The story was so popular PC Gamer picked it up. For the new one, I made sure not to read any new info or interviews as we had the angle to ask many of the same questions as well as some new ones and then compare the two and see how the game has changed.

Gareth

If interested, I did a Holiday Gift Guide for the big Radio Show in Seattle and the link to the audio is below. We talk about all sorts of new releases.

http://sknr.net/2008/11/18/2008-holi...io-audio-file/
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrelo View Post
only 6 months till that prolly.

not too bad, seeing as how some people have been waiting 10 years for this. i'm not one of them, but i definitely feel their pain...
Well I don't know about the 10 years .. but definatly the last 3. I'm on WOW with it's latest XP ... I'd rather be testing or doing something constructive (Like offering one of my 3-D models to STO ) ... anything to help.

I am hoping the best for the DEV team and for a very successful game. Everything after SFC-3 was something of a dissapointment from a Trek based game point of view ...

I AM READY for some good times with some old friends... It's long over due.
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBuzzard
Everything after SFC-3 was something of a dissapointment from a Trek based game point of view ...
heh, not just after...
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Did anyone else notice that several questions could have been answered in the FAQ?
yes... I was disappointed by the lame repeat questions like the questions about bridge crews and such. Purhaps the next interview could be for someone who's actually read the faq and followed the game info releases. But hey a fair ammount of new info made it into the interview too soo i'm happy with that.